IGNORED

Lee Westwood - World number 1

Tiger Spuds
Note: This thread is 4891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The best thing about this whole Lee Westwood #1 thing is that Tiger's old victories from 2 years ago have finally rolled off the list. Next year we should see a real '#1' when everyone starts playing again on a regular basis.

Close, but not exactly. The OWGR take into account the last years, but the older the tournaments are the more their points "deteriorate".

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Close, but not exactly. The OWGR take into account the last years, but the older the tournaments are the more their points "deteriorate".

um... actually, my posting is correct and yes, I'm aware that the points 'deteriorate'...maybe you misunderstood my post. What I was saying is that any of his victories that are more than 2 years old don't count anymore. The OWGR only takes into account the last 2 years (

from their website )...
The World Ranking Points for each player are accumulated over a two year “rolling” period with the points awarded for each event maintained for a 13-week period to place additional emphasis on recent performances – ranking points are then reduced in equal decrements (of 1/92nd of the original amount) for the remaining 91 weeks of the two year Ranking period.

I know that his last victory of 2008 was the US Open, which has already rolled off the list. I guess what I'm saying is that there should be alot of back and forth movement in the OWGR, since his 2009 year was a bit more 'normal'. His 4/6 record for 2008 and the fact that one of them was a major gave him a big lead for most of 2009. Although their (OWGR) website says there is a 'minimum divisor of 40', I don't know if that was affected by his injury-shortened 2008 season. Tiger won 6 times in 2009, out of 17 tournaments he played in that year. Those will still count (until March of 2010 when the Arnold Palmer doesn't count anymore).

Should be fun to watch in 2011!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

um... actually, my posting is correct and yes, I'm aware that the points 'deteriorate'...maybe you misunderstood my post. What I was saying is that any of his victories that are more than 2 years old don't count anymore. The OWGR only takes into account the last 2 years (

Yeah my bad. I'm already in 2011 mode I guess. I took two years ago to mean 2009 for some reason. Now in that first post I really sound like an ass...

EDIT: The minimum divisor was unaffected by the injury, he grew the huge lead because he had a tons of wins, including a major.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah my bad. I'm already in 2011 mode I guess. I took two years ago to mean 2009 for some reason. Now in that first post I really sound like an ass...

...it's all good!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Congrats Lee!!!

I really have no problem with him not winning a major. It just shows how strong the rest of his resume has been in spite of not winning a major. If he had snuck one of those out in the last two years he probably would have gotten number 1 before now.

Next year should be great to watch with the number of players who have a shot at number 1.

Funny how it's Lee's fault that the rest of the top players in the world are not playing good enough to be ranked number one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Dan Marino was considered for a long time to be the best quarterback in the NFL and is arguably one of the top 10 quarterbacks of all time, but he never won a Super Bowl. I know football is a team sport, however I do think it is a bit relevant

the greatest running back to ever live, barry sanders, was always on a crappy team. no offensive line, bad quarterbacks, salary cap, crappy coaching, ownership, etc. reduced him to about half of what he was capable of. he never won a superbowl. the 2 greatest PF's in the history of basketball, barkley and malone, have 0 championships between the two of them. your premise is flawed, this analogy doesn't work for football.

the greatest running back to ever live, barry sanders, was always on a crappy team. no offensive line, bad quarterbacks, salary cap, crappy coaching, ownership, etc. reduced him to about half of what he was capable of. he never won a superbowl. the 2 greatest PF's in the history of basketball, barkley and malone, have 0 championships between the two of them. your premise is flawed, this analogy doesn't work for football.

2nd greatest running back.

Delighted Lee backed up getting the official number one spot by showing on the course he is currently is the best player in the world for the last year or so. Despite the unusual and undeserved hate lee is receiving here(why?) over the year I would put my house on him beating tiger, he has been leagues ahead, althought we all know tiger is untouchably the best when hes on, he hasnt been for awhile so lee is number 1 both officially and in reality whether you like him or not. Congrats Lee!!

Delighted Lee backed up getting the official number one spot by showing on the course he is currently is the best player in the world for the last year or so. Despite the unusual and undeserved hate lee is receiving here(why?) over the year I would put my house on him beating tiger, he has been leagues ahead, althought we all know tiger is untouchably the best when hes on, he hasnt been for awhile so lee is number 1 both officially and in reality whether you like him or not. Congrats Lee!!

Some of it was Lee bashing and some of it is related to guys with more wins being lower in the rankings. I chuckle whenever someone bemoans the WRG because Lee Westwood didn't get enough Ws, then use the number of runner-up finishes on Jack's resume as evidence of his greatness. Either beating all the players in the field but one is worth something or it isn't. Personally, I feel it is. Fighting for position even when you can't win makes for better TV. Like vintage Greg Norman.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

More recent than the Ryder Cup, Shanghai world championship, Westwood 18 under Tiger 6 under. They were both playing the same course, both after the same trophy. As a result of coming second Westwood received more world ranking points than Tiger, surely this is fair. after all 12 shots over 4 rounds is quite a margin.

I'm a big Tiger fan, but I can remember the last time he won. I guess at last year's Australia tourney? You can't be #1 if you haven't won all year imo. I don't quite understand the golf ranking system I suppose.

If you think that Lee Westwood is the best player in the game of golf today, errrr.... good luck with that. I'd take a bunch of guys over him (Tiger, Phil, Stricker, Kaymer), but I guess he's "earned" it mathematically.

Lee and Tiger played in the same tournament 6 times this year,here are the results, where one withdrew I give the score when they withdrew,HSBC Tiger -7, Lee -18, Bridgestone Lee withdrew when +7, Tiger was +18, the Open Tiger -3, Lee -8, US Open Tiger +3 Lee +8. Players Lee -12 Tiger withdrew when -4, Masters Lee -13 and Tiger -11, Totals for the 6 tournaments. Lee -37 Tiger -4, Just for your interest for the same 6 tournaments Mickelson was -15 Kaymer was -1 and Stricker Did not play in 3 but was +12 for the 3 he played in. so to recap, Westwood -37, Mickelson -15, Woods -4, kaymer -1, Stricker +12 Furyk +19, so and I quote, " I would take a bunch of guys over him(Tiger, Phil,Stricker,Kaymer), but you are correct he did earn it mathematically but also by playing better!!!

Lee and Tiger played in the same tournament 6 times this year,here are the results, where one withdrew I give the score when they withdrew,HSBC Tiger -7, Lee -18, Bridgestone Lee withdrew when +7, Tiger was +18, the Open Tiger -3, Lee -8, US Open Tiger +3 Lee +8. Players Lee -12 Tiger withdrew when -4, Masters Lee -13 and Tiger -11, Totals for the 6 tournaments. Lee -37 Tiger -4, Just for your interest for the same 6 tournaments Mickelson was -15 Kaymer was -1 and Stricker Did not play in 3 but was +12 for the 3 he played in. so to recap, Westwood -37, Mickelson -15, Woods -4, kaymer -1, Stricker +12 Furyk +19, so and I quote, " I would take a bunch of guys over him(Tiger, Phil,Stricker,Kaymer), but you are correct he did earn it mathematically but also by playing better!!!

Very well said, despite all the "lee as no1 will be short lived" threads it seems he will be number one well into late january at least, completely well deserved too.

Lee deserves to be no1! Hes been the most consistant, and like some of the other posts say, there are only 4 majors and to be honest they are the luck of the draw! Hes no1 because he derserves it, ENOUGH SAID!

ZL Driver 10.5 Voodoo stiff shaft
F speed 3 wood stiff shaft
909 H Rescue
AP2 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff shafts
Forged 55 SV 58 SM 60 Tour action 64 Newport 1.member of www.shirlandgolfclub.co.uk

Lee deserves to be no1! Hes been the most consistant, and like some of the other posts say, there are only 4 majors and to be honest they are the luck of the draw! Hes no1 because he derserves it, ENOUGH SAID!

C'mon Lee? He will fall off next year, if it wasn't the end of the year he wouldn't still be number one.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

It's funny how underrated Westwood is. Especially in the US...

Nearly won the Dubai World Championship a while ago despite still not being fully recovered from injury and being very rusty.

It's funny how underrated Westwood is. Especially in the US...

Almost won the

HSBC Championship as well...after being out for 4 weeks .
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!