IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

How can he be like Lee Westwood when Westwood doesn't have a major?  When Rory is mentally engaged he can't be beat.  He plays American high ball flight golf and that works for three out of four majors.  He has lived up to expectations so far, which cannot be said for most.  Thus not overrated.

Is this a joke ? Come on, the kid has exceeded expectations so far.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Impossible to predict what Rory will do but you have to base the opinion on what he has already shown us.   He seems to win whenever he desires a particular event or title.  Plays poor when he is only there because it's expected and he would rather be seeingthe girlfriend etc.  As long as he retains his desire he will win many more tourneys including majors.  He would at least want a green jacket and no doubt will be going all out for that. He does,nt do well at the British Open because he doesn't really like the style of the courses so much, or the weather ! He hascome acrossas a bit of a sulky spoilt brat in the past on occasions but that will reduce as he matures.  I see lots more big victorys, golf is his life and probably always will be, it's what he knows.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

• 1 month later...

Why they need to compare him to Tiger Wood's is just media hype not much more, these are the facts though, only 43 golfers have won 3 or more majors since ...mmm.. let me see...1861 and Rory has 2 already at age 23 when he wins his 3rd and he will he'll add his name to this group, say no more, Moe knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloredd View Post

This was mine in this thread:

For once, I agreed with what Brandle Chamblee said tonight after the tournament: Europe hasn't found another Seve, it's found it's own Rory.

I also for once agreed with Johnny Miller in that in remains to be seen if Rory has that desire to be a legend. I mean, he stormed away with this one but I want to see what happens when he's either tied or trailing by 2 shots. He's not going to win majors by 8 strokes again . We've seen him crumble before when things got tight - has he truly learned from his past experiences? Time will tell. Great kid, I'm pulling for him big time.

This bit made me laugh hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin View Post
None

I would take that bet, now if you had said majors I might have to think about it.

can i get in on this? haha

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

• 7 months later...
  • Administrator

An old thread, but it seemed the most appropriate: nobody's really talking about how the former #1 has fallen to fourth, with barely half as many OWGR points as Tiger Woods.

Despite all the Tiger comparisons, I think that deep down people knew he wasn't at Tiger's level (i.e. able to sustain a prolonged period of excellence).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's no way he has anywhere near the drive Tiger has. The desire -- the need -- to win and to dominate. His game will come back I'm sure, but that element will always set them apart.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

An old thread, but it seemed the most appropriate: nobody's really talking about how the former #1 has fallen to fourth, with barely half as many OWGR points as Tiger Woods.

Despite all the Tiger comparisons, I think that deep down people knew he wasn't at Tiger's level (i.e. able to sustain a prolonged period of excellence).

I agree. I absolutely think he's a player, when he's on, he can beat anybody in the field, even Tiger. Tiger's whole life is golf. Rory wants a life outside of golf. Today's game, when there are so many good players, you really have to be on your game and really give so much time to developing your game.

I know this upsets people, thinking he's wasting talent, but he wants to enjoy life, and life his life how he should, more power to him. I wish he would take it more seriously and get back to competing. I honestly like the guy, and I think his talent is scary good, and I enjoy when he's on his A game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Rory has shown short periods of drive and he has a competitive spirit, but it was only really evident in full force during his run up to...getting his Nike deal. That was the plan in the Rory Camp. Make it look like they had the next Tiger and land the huge deal. After that there was a let down that wouldn't have happened if he had the true, obsessive drive that Tiger had.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Give him some time, one down year doesn't mean a lot. He will probably never be a consistent winner, but I really think he will get back to winning a few tournaments in short stretches of time.

Agreed that Rory is over hyped by the media and fans. He can't control how much people hype him up (though he does happily take in the sponsorship money that comes with that hype) so we can't really fault him for this. If anyone is to blame it's the golf media. It would appear that anyone who wins one tournament is suddenly due to win a major, if not more (eg CH3). Anyone who wins a major is automatically on course to win a few more (Freddie, DL3, GMac, Trevor Immelman, Adam Scott, Justin Rose). Then the media gets schizo and decides that a 14x major winner at age 37 will never win another tournament or major. I find it hard to blame the players when hype / opinion is outside their control.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

In my opinion he just seems off as far as golf is concerned. I don't know him but just what the media covers of him.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

He's not the new Tiger, people aka the media were in a rush to declare it before Tiger was done being Tiger. He is good and has potential but he needs to surpass all the other greats before he earns the "Tiger" tag.

Dave :-)

He's not the new Tiger, people aka the media were in a rush to declare it before Tiger was done being Tiger. He is good and has potential but he needs to surpass all the other greats before he earns the "Tiger" tag.

I agree, the media wanted a new Tiger and he was the closest to it.  He's a kid who gained world fame very quickly, has a girlfriend that happens to be an attractive professional tennis player, just signed a deal worth $100M with Nike, switched from Titleist to Nike clubs and switched management companies twice in the last 3 years.  His life is upside down from where it was before he won is Majors and gained all his fame.

Give him a few years to adjust and then we'll see how good he actually can be.  He's already had a better career than Sergio so maybe he takes his girlfriend and Nike's cash and just enjoys the rest of his life.

Joe Paradiso

One Tiger is enough,

I have never been an eager fan of music , golf, any sport or movie..of anything.

I like golf and so on... but I do not see these people as heroes. Tiger is a great player

but that's all. I hate this groud shouting "gome on Tiger" and "get the hole".

Therefore I do not want to see Rory as next Tiger.

One Tiger is enough.