Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scaramanger

What's the greatest hole in one ever?

22 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone,

I'm brand new on this forum and I'm also brand new to golf - so hello everybody. I'm not very good at golf yet but that doesn't matter as I enjoy it so much. I can't believe how addictive this game is.

Anyway, I've been watching a few golf videos lately to give me some inspiration and wondered if you experienced golfers have opinions on:

What is the greatest hole in one of all time.

I remember when i was young I watched Jack Nicklaus on the TV knock in a few goodies from distance.

Anyway, I hope this question doesn't open up too much of a can of worms as I'm sure there will be lots of differing opinions out there. May be this site should conduct a survey or something.

Well, over to you guys now

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Well I would say it would be Scott McCarron's HIO right after Lee Jansen holed his:

I can't remember what year it was I think it was 1999. For someone to step up and knock one in on top of your playing partner after all that excitement etc is just amazing.

The one by Byrd to win a PGA Tour event in a playoff.

/thread.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Byrd Ace is awesome, but one of my favorites is Fuzzy Zoeller's from a few years back:

Tiger Woods on 16 at the Phoenix Open on Superbowl Sunday was pretty cool.

I like Zoeller's best. It's so unexpected.

Byrd's was great timing, though. I can just imagine his opponent learning about the hole-and-one and being incredulous, thinking "of all the times to have your opponent get an ace..." During regulation it's just a couple strokes fewer. During a playoff, it's game-over.

The one by Byrd to win a PGA Tour event in a playoff.

No doubt about it. Nothing says,

I WIN , like an ace on a play off hole with two fellow competitors. -Dan

I'm still with the one I posted, but it occurs to me -- why has no one brought up Andrew McGee's at TPC Scottsdale, Hole 17, in 2002?

I looked at this from a different perspective I guess. I would have to say it will always be the one you just made

For me, the greatest Hole-in one is the one 2 weeks ago from my 10 year old son. At the Harvey Penick Golf Course in Austin, he hit his 3 wood on the 3rd hole and it hit the green and rolled to back pin position. As it was rolling I told him it could be a hole-in one, then it just dropped in the hole. We were quite excited, then I was quite bummed, I've been playing for 20+ years and have never had one...oh well!

I've always liked the Couples par on 17 at TPC Sawgrass. Put the first shot in the drink, re-teed, then jarred it for a par. Technically not a hole in one I guess, but pretty unique.

I've always been partial to Tiger's HIO at #16 at the '97 Phoenix Open ...

I've always liked the Couples par on 17 at TPC Sawgrass. Put the first shot in the drink, re-teed, then jarred it for a par. Technically not a hole in one I guess, but pretty unique.

I'm always afraid of doing this.

Losing one, then putting it in for a par. Or holing a practice ball while messing around in a round.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned David Toms at the PGA. To ace a hole with a 4-wood (I think) in the final round of a major, and win was pretty amazing. I missed the Byrd one though. That has to be the greatest.