IGNORED

A Tale of Two Nines

Dad-2-3

41/52.......2/14 FW, 9 GIR, 39 putts. 7 pars, 5 bogies, and 2 doubles and 4 triples. I was obviously not getting off the tee well, but on the back nine I REALLY started spraying it off the tee and hit 4 tee balls OB. The stroke and distance penalty is a round killer for sure. I also had three 3 putt bogies, and it's not like I'm leaving a 6-8 foot second putt either, more like 3-5. Altogether a forgettable day. Tomorrow will be better.....at least that what I keep telling myself.

• 12 years later...

Bumping this from an old time ago…

40/36…. Golf is weird.  On Sunday I shot +5 on the front (par 35) and -1 on the back (par 37) for a +4 76 round.

I’m sure we all have those rounds where one side is dramatically different from the other. 

Why in the heck does this happen?  I have no clue if it was just luck, or I “checked out” starting the back and stopped thinking too much, or what.  I’ve obviously done the opposite, where my front nine was great and I’ve blown up on the back.

I don’t care if your scores are 56/42 or 32/38.  But I would love to here others share their “tale of two nines” and whether you have any clue why that happened.

40/36…... Golf is weird. On Sunday I shot +5 on the front (par 35) and -1 on the back (par 37) for a +4 76 round.

I'm sure we all have those rounds where one side is dramatically different from the other.

Why in the heck does this happen? I have no clue if it was just luck, or I "checked out" starting the back and stopped thinking too much, or what. I've obviously done the opposite, where my front nine was great and l've blown up on the back.

I don't care if your scores are 56/42 or 32/38. But I would love to here others share their "tale of two nines" and whether you have any clue why that happened.

I hope this is not a duplicate thread.  I couldn’t find an existing one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think inconsistency is the answer. Typically one nine is much better than our expected result and the other is not as good. The average of the two is closer to what our long term results would predict.

I had a round recently where I was something like 45/35. Did nothing special on the first nine and lights out, for me, on the back. 80 is fairly close to my average score.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 7/27/10 a Tale of Two Nines

I get this fairly regularly if I play after work. Pretty good focus for 10 or 12 holes before the wheels come off.

Had a 42/53 recently. I think my best front 9 round this course is 41 and my best score is 87. Managed to keep a 7 off my card but was less successful with higher numbers 😞

It happens, I had 46-36 the other day for a ho-hum 82. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I shot a 50-42 the other day. An 11 was involved…

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to A Tale of Two Nines
9 hours ago, billchao said:

I shot a 50-42 the other day. An 11 was involved…

Christopher Guest These Go To Eleven GIF by Maudit

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Even PGA tour players from time to time scores better or worst by 5 or more shots on the back. It's just variance. You are going to shoot a couple under or above your average and when you do to the extremes is going to show up like you were god in one side and a sucker on the other. 

I’ve used the phrase, Tale of Two Nines many times over the years. There’s usually 1-2 bad holes on the bad 9. I also note that things often come apart when I run into slow groups where I have to wait around between shots. 
At the end of the day, I’ll take a 41-52 round over 50-50 round. 

- Shane

• 1 month later...

Shot even par (36) on the front, and ... well, let's just say there was a couple of doubles and a triple on the back for (46) on the back.  Ugh!!!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2