IGNORED

When is it too cold to golf?

buckeyeben14
Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kalnoky said:

That's about what I've been experiencing too - the driver is losing 15-20 yards. I was 210-230 all summer, and sometimes 250+, now I'm roughly 185-210. 

It is in the 40's here right now and I can still play. The cold does not bother me as much as the rain & mud.  

Not too bad a day here in SW Ohio. It's about 50, but I'm chained to the desk. Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow but rain is coming. Then the temp will drop like a rock and ruin Sunday. 

Hoping I can get some holes in early before the storms hit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, Kalnoky said:

Out of curiosity, how much distance (if any) are you losing off the tee in those temps?

Haven't read the entire thread, apologies if this has already been discussed..

As others have said, the loss is about a club. Don't know the exact numbers.

I can live with 15-20 yards loss in my driver. But, I have harder time adjusting to distance loss with my irons.

If the cold air is thick with moisture or fog, furgitaboutit.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

With the temps in the 30's now in NE it is pretty close to end of season but it looks like Turkey weekend will bring a mid 50* Saturday!

Rounding up the buds to see who is down for another round.  Got 2 OK's for Sat.  Can't wait!

Guess it not too cold yet!!  :beer:

Get out and hit em while you still can!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

When is it too cold to play golf?

ChuckHeston.jpg.7b3ac655f58d4a84133873ab1a83573d.jpg

When you can pry this 5 iron from my frozen, arthritic hands!

I went out this morning and played 18 on an empty course. It was 40° when I arrived but dropped as a cold front moved through. It wasn't too bad. I wore a compression shirt underneath long-sleeved warmer shirt and never had to put my jacket on. My feet got a little wet and my fingers a bit numb, but it was certainly bearable. They're forecasting snow this evening.

I really enjoyed having the course to myself. No flags on the greens... which doesn't really matter too much. If I'm close enough to aim for the flag, I'm close enough to walk the few yards to see where the hole location is. Lots of deer running around the course today, probably the safest place for them to be right now.

A bonus to playing this late in the year is that all those lost golf balls are easy to see with no foliage on the brush. I grabbed so many of them my golf bag was listing on my push cart from the extra weight.

Despite the cold and wind, it was such a pleasure to be out there. It's going to be a long winter.

Jon

• 1 month later...

JonMA1 gives me hope that my annual Myrtle Beach golf trip next week will be ok despite the forecast. Off to the store for that compression shirt. :D

• Upvote 1

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

The coldest that I have gone out is 18°F. We have a course here in upstate NY that will let you go out anytime you have $12 for them. As long as it is not windy it is fun at that temperature. Yes, drive can go a long way but hitting greens is tough. Fly it on the green and you will go 40 yards over. You have to land it short, with the right shape to keep it on. It gets very difficult when it starts to warm up during the round because the area around the green will softens up before the green does. 

The one thing I have never understood is the green at this course do not die when you walk on them. I have seen frost damage at other courses when people have walked on green when they shouldn't have but it doesn't happen there...weird. 

Here is a golf tip that you may not know. If the tee box is frozen and you can't get the tee in the ground...spit and put your tee in where the spit landed. It slides in like butter. 

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

Usually it's too cold when the course is closed. However, about 45 years ago, myself and three others decided to play on a Saturday morning at a local municipal course. It was late November or early December. We were there early in the morning and no one was in the clubhouse. We often start before they are open so we never gave it a thought! We were carrying our clubs as usual in those days. We teed off on the first hole and away we went. The front nine goes away from the club house so we never saw the parking lot from where we were on the course. The 9th hole is a short par 4 with water on the right side of the green. Normally it's water, but it was frozen! There were also small snow drifts on the course, but not on the greens. The clubhouse was behind the pond and right of the green! One of my playing partners faded his shot right of the green and it bounced off the pond and skipped into the side of the clubhouse with a big bang! Before we all got to the green the man on duty came out screaming, asking us what the f**k we were doing. My buddy answered "we're playing golf!" Evidently he didn't see the humor in this remark as he told us "get the f**k off the golf curse, we are closed!" I told him we didn't see a sign to that effect in the lot or on the door to the pro shop. His response was didn't you see the snow on the greens? I told him there was no snow on any hole on the front nine. "Get the f**k off the property before I call the cops" he shouted and so we did as he said and left. I don't think he recognized us the next spring because he never brought it up when the new season started! I still laugh about that when somebody brings it up at a get together.

Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!