IGNORED

When is it too cold to golf?

buckeyeben14
Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love golf and i love my clubs but im nervous about playing in 30 degree and below weather. Is there any way i could lose pop off my club or the shaft becomes too brittle and snaps off? Also when is it too cold to play and you just seem ridiculous.

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Driver
TaylorMade R9 3 Wood
Callaway FT-IZ 3 Hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 3 irons- pitching wedge
Tommy Armour 56 degree Sand WedgeTitleist Bob Vokey 60 degree Lob WedgeRed Nike BagNike GloveNike/Titleist Pro-V1 golf balls

I live near Boston and I'm trying to play all winter here. I've not been out in a few weeks since there's so much snow on the ground. A ball might lose some pop but I don't believe even a nice forged club with lose it's shape or pop in the cold... As for how cold can you play in.. Well as long as your still having fun it don't matter. My last round I could not put a tee in the ground and the entire ground was frozen.. I still had a fun time... Best part was the #1 handicap hole that has water in front if green.. Well it was frozen and lets just say there was no drop needed after my approach shot came up short..lol

• Upvote 1

I find playing in  the winter(without wind) is great to practice. No one is usually out there and you can play multiple shots in real game type situations. Putting is a bit tricky to really practice if the greens are frozen imo. Your clubs should be fine in the cold.

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

I've played with the clubs in my sig in 25 degree weather.....it was only that cold for about an hour....sun came out and the cold front moved out, was a nice 50 degrees by the afternoon.....clubs played fine....standard loss in distance and anything hit off center could be felt immediately.....buddy invited me to a nice private course, wasn't going to pass up the opportunity....

Usually, 40+ degrees is my cutoff.....not too bad if the sun is out and the wind is reasonable...

I live in Northeast Ohio and was fortunate enough to get out to the golf course this weekend. Saturday is it was up around 55 or 60 so most of the snow melted, however, it was too wet and slushy to get out and play or anything. It wasn't too bad by Sunday afternoon so a friend of mine and I went out to the range/course. It was about 25 or 30 out so pretty chilly. We hit probably 100-150 balls on the range each, and I was able to get some nice footage of my swing. After hitting the range for about an hour or so we headed out to the course for five or six holes which was awesome. Other than distance, the temperature didn't have much affect on our game. I got my first par of the year on my first hole! Hit my drive right down the pipe. Had an easy wedge into the green that I stuck at about 5 feet. Rimmed out the putt, tapped in, and was on my way to the next hole. Great time. Just the two of us and had the course and facilities to ourselves.

The only thing that makes me nervous golfing in the cold is when the ground is frozen. I don't think beating your clubs into the frozen ground is good for the clubs...obviousley.

Anyway, if their's no snow, and the ground isn't frozen, I'd say go out and get some practice in or a couple holes.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I was at the range this morning at 28 degrees. Every ten minutes or so I went in to the pro shop to warm up, and finally parked my bag in there, too. The grips were getting too cold.

The pro keeps the balls inside when it gets this cold, so you can get some distance, but on two days ago I was hitting balls that had been kept out in sub-freezing weather. I was just nailing my 5-iron and couldn't get it past the 145-yard flag.

Originally Posted by Dentman

I live near Boston and I'm trying to play all winter here. I've not been out in a few weeks since there's so much snow on the ground. A ball might lose some pop but I don't believe even a nice forged club with lose it's shape or pop in the cold... As for how cold can you play in.. Well as long as your still having fun it don't matter. My last round I could not put a tee in the ground and the entire ground was frozen.. I still had a fun time... Best part was the #1 handicap hole that has water in front if green.. Well it was frozen and lets just say there was no drop needed after my approach shot came up short..lol

cant put a tee in the ground? Wow...and I thought it was cold down here....one word...dedicated

In the last couple weeks, we have had temps ranging from 15*F to 35*F and I was literally knocking ice off of the range balls. They had really high bounces off of the ground inside the range, too. When it's that cold, it's best to just stick to fundamentals and not get carried away with distances and trajectories.

Originally Posted by rckwd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dentman

cant put a tee in the ground? Wow...and I thought it was cold down here....one word...dedicated

We get that issue here, you can use rubber tee's or a few time for fun we brought a cordless drill with us.

As for what happens to clubs in the cold (sub zero) - some epoxies will become brittle and there is better chance of the head coming off. This is super rare and is more likely to happen because the club build had an issue already (bad mix, cheap epoxy or the shaft wasn't prepared properly) and the cold made it more likely to make failure to happen. But we are talking very rare as I have play in a winter group for the last two years and have only seen/heard of it once.

The other thing is you shafts get stiffer in the cold. Not a big deal on its own, but you won't be as loose in the cold, and have more clothes on, so your swing slows down making your shaft way too stiff. I know lots of guy go to light flex for the winter.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

There comes a certain point where pent up demand trumps temperature.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by buckeyeben14

I love golf and i love my clubs but im nervous about playing in 30 degree and below weather. Is there any way i could lose pop off my club or the shaft becomes too brittle and snaps off? Also when is it too cold to play and you just seem ridiculous.

I suppose if it was 50 below you might have an issue, but at any temperature where you might actually be inclined to play it isn't going to hurt anything.  I've played when it was in the low 30's many times back when I was young and dumb and desperate.  I don't do that any more.  Now I'm older and wiser and I've found other things to help while away the winter days.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

since i just found my perfect swing in november i have been wanting to hit as much as i can this winter, i went to the range jan 2nd it was 25 out but no snow, i lost a little distance but i just wanted to make sure i was hitting were i was aiming, the range i go to has heated/ covered range so that helps too

I've had to go to the local aqua range for the last week because the grass ranges (and golf courses) have been closed until the snow melts. It was 25 out during lunch on Tuesday and I had the place to myself. When it's this cold out hitting off the frozen ground or hitting off a mat feels the same anyway. I just hope the reservoir doesn't freeze anytime soon.

For the next couple of months I'll have to drive the two hours to play in Sacramento.

It was 35 today here in Florida when I tee'd off. Couldnt hit a drive much past 230 and all of my clubs were 25 yards shorter. I cannot wait till it warms up and day light savings. I did shoot a decent round at 81.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• 3 years later...
As we head into winter, what's the temperature when a buddy calls you with an offer to play a fancy private course for free and you say screw it, I'm staying home?

For me, probably somewhere around 40F.

If the course is Augusta, the temp is not a factor. The only factor would be am I breathing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I don't think colder weather will hurt a club by it self. What I think might damage a club in colder weather is if the ground is frozen, and the golfer is taking divots. That might be the equivalent of hitting concrete in some instances.

I know extreme heat will damage clubs if left exposed too long. My grandson and I went to a wrecking yard for a part for a car we were rebuilding. We found what we were looking for, and just as an after thought, my grandson popped the trunk open. In the trunk was bag full of Titlist clubs. Even had a Cameron Newport putter in the set. We took the clubs to the check out counter, and asked how much. The counter guy said they don't sell golf clubs, and  to just keep them. The first time my grandson used them, quite a few of the epoxy connections loosened up. We took them to a local club fitter for repairs, which was just a re-glue job. Also replaced the dried out grips. The fitter told us the extreme heat had weakened the connections, and that my grandson should be more careful where he stored them. :-P .

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

As we head into winter, what's the temperature when a buddy calls you with an offer to play a fancy private course for free and you say screw it, I'm staying home?

Never for me.  I can sit in pretty cold weather while hunting.  Any outdoor activity in cold weather where I can move does not scare me at all.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!