IGNORED

For those with extra wedges ... what clubs do you eliminate ?

Note: This thread is 4392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9• driver 2H 3-pw gw sw Lw I took out my 2i and 3w in favor of a 2h which I can make work for both.

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

Driver 9*

3 wood 15.5*

3-PW

I choke down on the 3w to cover the 5w/2 iron gap.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

at shorter courses i go driver, 3-P, +4 wedges but generally i go driver, 3W, 3-P, +3 wedges

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

• 10 months later...

10.5* driver

18* 5w

19.5* Fybrid

21* 3h

4i-PW

52*GW

56*SW

sometimes I do a 15*  3W instead of 5W if its a long course

and sometimes a 60* LW ilo Fybrid if short

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver 9.5 3w 16 3 Mizuno fli hi 21 4-9 irons 46 52 56 60 The 46 replaces my PW as I've never really liked having a wedge the same as the irons. All 4 of my wedges are Cleveland, and the PW being 46 allows me to open it slightly to get a bit more spin. I'm also considering getting rid of my 4 iron as the hybrid iron is a similar loft.

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I yank my 3i for a 20deg hybrid and throw an extra wedge (52deg) in the bag.  So my setup looks like this

Driver

3wood

3H

4-PW

52, 56, 60 wedges

Putter

The setup I use is similar.

Instead of a 3 wood - I use a 5 wd

Instead of a 3i, I use a 7 wd

Instead of a 4i, I use a 4 hybrid.

The 5-PW Iron Setup ends at 45 deg, so wedge setup is

49, 55, 60

From what I've read, too many people focus on the label on a club (PW, Gap, etc) and would make better decisions if they looked at the loft and shaft length of a club, and how each club is used. For example, today's PW is generally 44-47 deg - what does that club do, how is it used, and what is the next lofted club that would fit you and how is it used. When my clubs get to 54 and above, I am generally looking at a club for use off the fairway and specialty situations. So I look for particular attributes for rough, bunkers, tight lies, etc, as well as fairway use.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The setup I use is similar.

Instead of a 3 wood - I use a 5 wd

Instead of a 3i, I use a 7 wd

Instead of a 4i, I use a 4 hybrid.

The 5-PW Iron Setup ends at 45 deg, so wedge setup is

49, 55, 60

From what I've read, too many people focus on the label on a club (PW, Gap, etc) and would make better decisions if they looked at the loft and shaft length of a club, and how each club is used. For example, today's PW is generally 44-47 deg - what does that club do, how is it used, and what is the next lofted club that would fit you and how is it used. When my clubs get to 54 and above, I am generally looking at a club for use off the fairway and specialty situations. So I look for particular attributes for rough, bunkers, tight lies, etc, as well as fairway use.

How do you like the 7wood?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Key for me is a 58° wedge - I can get within a few yards of my 56 if I play ball rearward & close the face ... if I open the face, it's a fantastic lob wedge.      The 58° is my multipurpose club - learning to use it effectively has without question saved me a club.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

How do you like the 7wood?

I like it.

While the TM R11 Ti 7 wood is getting reshafted, I have found wonderful results with a Titleist 910f 7 wood. I have the Bassara shaft in it (read - slow to moderate speed but a decent swing) -- and get a high flight and consistent results off the tee and fairway. At 41.5 inches, I could probably knock it down a half inch to tighten up the shaft slightly and bring down spin - and I can add a small weight from the weight kit if it needed adjustment. Normally, I go 5 wood at 42 inches and 7 wood at 41 inches.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I like it.

While the TM R11 Ti 7 wood is getting reshafted, I have found wonderful results with a Titleist 910f 7 wood. I have the Bassara shaft in it (read - slow to moderate speed but a decent swing) -- and get a high flight and consistent results off the tee and fairway. At 41.5 inches, I could probably knock it down a half inch to tighten up the shaft slightly and bring down spin - and I can add a small weight from the weight kit if it needed adjustment. Normally, I go 5 wood at 42 inches and 7 wood at 41 inches.

A 41 inch 7 wood sounds fantastic.  Especially if you have a nice solid shaft that suits your swing.  A controllable club like that could easily be a favortie in the bag.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I use one of 2 setups depending on the course or conditions:

Driver

3wood

18* hybrid

3-PW

54*

60*

Putter

or

Driver

3wood

3-PW+GW

56*

60*

Putter

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Quote:
Throw out any wood or iron that you cannot hit consistently off the grass. That probably means any wood under 17* and iron under 25* If you cannot get your current 3 wood or 4 iron airborne,get rid of it. See my signature for what I use.(3 wood is 16*)

I agree with this.  I used to carry a burner 2h, but after reading Secrets of the Short Game, I started hitting all my old "2h" shots with my 4 iron (its a hybrid too, 4-6 for me are hybrids) and saw virtually no difference in my scores.  I almost never hit the green with the 2h, and I almost never hit the green with my 4h either from that range (2h went about 205, 4h goes about 180, although I can step on it to get to 200).  My FW is a 4w and I can get pretty close or on the green on my course's par 5s with it, but I'm never thinking birdie on a par 4 if I'm over 180 from the green off the tee, which makes the long clubs less useful.

I added a 64* wedge.  I really like my setup, although i play 5 wedges counting pitching wedge.  "Iron set" wedges at PW 44, AW 59, SW 54 and "classic" wedges at 60 and 64.  I have pretty good idea what yardage they go on 730 and 9 oclock swings and I practice them alot.  I would never give up a wedge to be slightly more accurate from over 200 yards.  You just don't score enough from that far away at my level to give up a wedge, which you can really use to score well.

If you are a "use one wedge for everything w/n 50 yards" guy this probably doesn't apply to you, but I like keeping the swing the same and changing the club.

Note: This thread is 4392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!