IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

4 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

What up, Henry. Congrats on winning rookie of the year! :beer:

Yea, like @mvmac said, it's about being functional first and foremost and for Erik, it clearly is. Plus this guy below does it hard and has 40+ wins and 5 majors. 

Thanks @JetFan1983! And thanks for the information. It is always interesting to see how even the best of players have flaws, but like you said they are functional and they can play at an extremely high level with them. Gives me the slightest slimmer of hope haha. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Yea, like @mvmac said, it's about being functional first and foremost and for Erik, it clearly is. Plus this guy below does it hard and has 40+ wins and 5 majors. 

Plus, my lefty swing is better than Phil's lefty swing. 😉

Not being serious, btw.

51 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Good changes, Erik! I like your garbage move tho. I know that thing can move it 300+ off the tee (seen it in person), so yea. Shut up.

Thanks. Too much work though, and just ever so slightly too inconsistent in the results. Tiny differences matter in golf.

45 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

@JetFan1983

Can you post those drills in @RandallT's world famous Stubborn Steepness thread?

Yes please.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, your lefty move is definitely obnoxiously good haha :-D. Like, it shouldn't be that good but it is. 

OK, I'll work on the post, but just to warn you, you will probably be disappointed since it's really just incorporating one-arm swings to one's practice. Then you take the feel you get from them and then you use it for full shots when putting two hands back on the club.

Pretty basic, but I thought that if there was any possible chance I could help, I should share it. 

Anyway, so essentially, if you're practicing with just the right hand on the club, when you put both hands back on, you're supposed to feel like the left hand only supports it and has very little hand pressure. All the grip strength comes from the right hand, as if you only had the right hand on the club still. 

And vice versa if you're one-arming just the left hand. The right hand will feel very passive. This is obviously for practice purposes but you can use it on the course too, definitely. But Creghan told me the goal here is just to find different hand pressures to get the club to shallow. Plus it also helps increase turning rates if those have stalled out due to steepness.  

I know this isn't particularly revelatory to you, but it is another option when practicing. I would have just went right out and discussed this, but I know you're working on what you're working on and didn't want to just jump right out and talk about something you and Mike weren't discussing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 6:13 AM, JetFan1983 said:

Good changes, Erik! I like your garbage move tho. I know that thing can move it 300+ off the tee (seen it in person), so yea. Shut up. 

PS- Brian Creghan gave me some awesome drills to get rid of stubborn steepness though if you want them. You probably already know what they are, but they definitely work, and they double as overspeed training, so two bird w/ one stone. I'll probably post it about it on my swing thread at some point soon as to not hijack here. Executive summary: it's just one arm swinging (either arm) with an alignment stick and doing it fast. 

Anyway, good stuff! I always love an @iacas My Swing update!

Not to encourage thread hijacking, but I would LOVE to see some "stop the steepness!" drills.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

Not to encourage thread hijacking, but I would LOVE to see some "stop the steepness!" drills.

There you go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

There you go.

thank you!

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just a little recording of my putting stroke. Not liking that shirt. 🙂 Could float load about 1-2° more (yeah, I'm that picky), but overall, not bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Backswing piece that I have been working on is better. Not worried about the other stuff - I have a bit of a handle on those things. Though, I will say, they looked better than I thought they would.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, mvmac said:

As good as it gets 👍

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 8.50.34 PM.png

That just looks so clean. Man I wish I could just feel that position. I’m making progress though...just wanted to see how it looks from the other side. Nice work Erik!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
8 hours ago, mvmac said:

As good as it gets 👍

Meh.

meh.jpg

😄

But thank you, @mvmac, for catching the FO stuff, as I've mostly been caught up in the DL stuff and working there.

And for the others out there, I do think the wrist conditions at the top play a bit of a role in the slight steepening in transition.

And while this is a clear priority for me, let it also illustrate that you can play to a +1 or so with a pretty obvious flaw. Your swings don't have to be perfect. Admittedly I have Key #5 down pat, and always have, but still…

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Meh.

meh.jpg

😄

But thank you, @mvmac, for catching the FO stuff, as I've mostly been caught up in the DL stuff and working there.

And for the others out there, I do think the wrist conditions at the top play a bit of a role in the slight steepening in transition.

And while this is a clear priority for me, let it also illustrate that you can play to a +1 or so with a pretty obvious flaw. Your swings don't have to be perfect. Admittedly I have Key #5 down pat, and always have, but still…

This is a great point that at times I forget. I get so focused on fixing my swing, I forget that I can play pretty well with it. 

Thanks for stating it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

A small slice of today's practice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Need to feel a little more external rotation and a bit more trail wrist bend later. Not going to be easy, but it continues to improve.

This was mostly to check the backswing and the feelings of the transition with a little more attention than necessary on the legs, but when I work on the arms exclusively for too long the legs sometimes forget to contribute.

• Administrator

Little exploratory practice session a few days ago.

Literally five minutes, but I kinda like the direction we went. I'll talk with @mvmac about it too, but basically…

First video: I wanted to lay the shaft down, feel the weight of the club in my right index/trigger finger, and then pivot or turn around pretty hard.

So…

01.jpg

I dislike that the small "pump" loads the shaft a bit steeper and keeps the left arm in at A5 as much as it does (though it comes down reasonably well from there). I like that at A6, even with a steepening shaft, the clubhead traces the forearm and stays just inside the hands coming down.

This isn't really an "achievable" swing, though, because the pump sent the club shaft in the wrong direction AND the shaft had to be ridiculously shallow to start.

Second video:

02.jpg

Honestly very similar thoughts, though the smaller pump let the shaft fall in more.

I think at some point the left arm is going to have to come down LESS vertically and slightly more "out" at A6, but for a little while I'm going to roll with this feeling.

Practice will be as follows:

• Swing to the top (not all that fast).
  • Without really pausing - I don't want to stop as I will tend to want to pump then - feel the weight of the shaft in the right index finger.
  • Keeping the face feeling "open" (perhaps a little left palmar flexion), pivot hard with the torso (starting with the lower body, though I can hit okay shots, just a bit low, if it's a bit too much upper body).

Gonna give that a go for awhile now.

I think a big, big part of what fails me (which is strong language for something that's much better now than two years ago, and way, way better now than six years ago) is that when I really shallow it feels like the face is about 60° open coming into impact.

P.S. I like that I'm open enough in the videos. And both balls were pretty flush - I can "find the ball" pretty well.

• Like 1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, andrewshawl said:

Do you keep weight mostly on your left foot ?

No.

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just continued work on my pieces. This is somewhat how I'm going about doing it. The "swing" at the end (with the pause at the top) I'd rate about a C+. I'm looking for that to be exaggerated more so than that, though I was hurrying a bit because I was getting impatient with the recording length (I chopped out a bunch of intermediate practice stuff). Other swings were much better. More exaggerated.

• Thumbs Up 1