IGNORED

Mats vs. Grass at Practice Range

drocpdp
Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you hit off the grass or mats when you go to the range?

• Always off the GRASS - I want realistic conditions
    • Always off the GRASS - This is all my range offers
    • Always off the MATS - It's cheaper
    • Always off the MATS - I like the feel of the mat
    • Always off the MATS - I don't want to clean my clubs when i'm done
    • Always off the MATS - This is all my range offers
    • I switch it up but mostly off the GRASS
    • I switch it up and it's 50/50
    • I switch it up but mostly off the MATS
    • It doesn't mater to me at all. I have no preference

You're going to be playing on grass, so why hit on mats?

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

so you can practice in the case that there is no grass range...?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

so you can practice in the case that there is no grass range...?

Well if there is no grass range, you're out of luck. But seriously, if there is an option between the two, you should choose the grass range.

I will only hit driver off a mat....the mat will mess with your head and your swing!

In the bag:

Cleveland 3-PW Irons CG16, Cleveland CG15 gap, Cleveland 56 SW, TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, Nike SQ 3W, TaylorMade r7 Rescue, Scotty, Small Bottle of Crown!

There's a HUGE difference from hitting off a mat, versus hitting off the grass. Hitting of the grass, gives you more of a realistic feeling to hitting the golf ball, but the mat will definitely be better to save your clubs.

When your course uses mats as teeing grounds.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Grass is better than mats, but mats are better than not practicing at all.

One thing that puzzles me, though, is why it's so much easier to shape shots? I can draw the ball all day long off a mat but put me on grass five minutes later and I'm hitting them straight out to the right.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I do the same exact thing. It must have something to do with the real grass vs. artificial.

yes...i'm sure your mishits has something to do with real grass vs artificial.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I warm up on mats then move to the grass area. If I only have a few minutes I skip the range since neither area has rough. I get more (pre-round) out of hitting a few pitches out of the rough since that's the kind of shot I'll be faced with on the first couple holes.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

When your course uses mats as teeing grounds.

Yes, I'll be honest, I have that a few times :)

My range only has mats so I hit off them as I try to practice one to two nights a week. They got new mats this year which are a huge improvement. Last year, they felt like concrete and I always felt like I never practiced that great off them. This year, the mats have a much darker green color, and are a much better simulation of real grass (although definitely still a mat). Primarily the feedback is better. When you hit one fat, it feels like you hit it fat, and the ball responds like a fat shot. Also, they're much easier on the joints and muscles. Given a reasonable choice between grass and mats I'd take grass but this is what I've got.

Me, I use both when at the driving range.
Matts for woods or my driving iron (to save tees lol)
Grass for my irons and wedges.
Thats just me though.

Hit'em Long and Strong
Big Tazz

• 6 months later...

Ok, you guys told me how often you hit the range and how long you spend at the range.  Now i'm curious how many of you hit off the mats vs. the grass when you go...

I personally go to a grass driving range every time and that's NOT because I have a product for use at a grass range.  I was doing this before I invented my product which is actually a result of me always hitting off the grass.

Hopefully this poll makes sense.  You can click multiple answers in case more than one applies....

Always grass.  I won't even hit off of the mats in GG when trying new clubs, unless I tee it up.  For some reason I get a terrible case of the shanks every time I hit off of mats and it always lasts for 9 holes every time.

I go to the range to hit balls once every two months because here in Spain you have to hit off mats. Arrrggghh! It's like having sex wearing a condom.

When I practice, I practice on the course. Also, so I can use my balls. There is nothing worse than mat + range ball!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Off of mats only because my local muni never has the grass hitting area open on the range. I much prefer hitting from the grass.

Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!