IGNORED

Mats vs. Grass at Practice Range

drocpdp
Note: This thread is 3268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you hit off the grass or mats when you go to the range?

• Always off the GRASS - I want realistic conditions
    • Always off the GRASS - This is all my range offers
    • Always off the MATS - It's cheaper
    • Always off the MATS - I like the feel of the mat
    • Always off the MATS - I don't want to clean my clubs when i'm done
    • Always off the MATS - This is all my range offers
    • I switch it up but mostly off the GRASS
    • I switch it up and it's 50/50
    • I switch it up but mostly off the MATS
    • It doesn't mater to me at all. I have no preference

My home course actually has a very nice practice area. Two chipping greens a putting green and a long range where they post laser distances to flags on a dry-erase board each morning. The problem is the way people use it. I right handed golfer will hit random shots all through the stall and leave it pock marked and it's toast until they move the stalls. Worse is the rangers don't police it so people that don't want to hit in the stalls full of divots move to random areas away from the stalls and hack that grass to bits as well. Honestly I am fried on golf right now. I can't stand the way people behave at the golf course. It's just a giant bummer of entitlement and selfish behavior lately. The atmosphere seems to be more amusement park than golf course.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "switch it up but mostly grass". This has been my trend only lately. I don't really like mats because if I chunk a shot it really hurts the wrists, while on grass I barely feel it in the hands.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I noticed in the poll that an option was hitting off of mats to avoid cleaning clubs. I would just like to point out that, at least every time I've hit off a mat at a course, after I'm done hitting off a mat I have to use a heavy bristled brush with thorough scrubbing to get rid of the green plastic film that accumulates on the bottom of my clubs. That's likely caused by cheap mats, but it's easier for me to just wipe down each club with a damp towel after hitting on grass than it is to try and remove the plasticy residue from the clubs after hitting on mats.

I noticed in the poll that an option was hitting off of mats to avoid cleaning clubs. I would just like to point out that, at least every time I've hit off a mat at a course, after I'm done hitting off a mat I have to use a heavy bristled brush with thorough scrubbing to get rid of the green plastic film that accumulates on the bottom of my clubs. That's likely caused by cheap mats, but it's easier for me to just wipe down each club with a damp towel after hitting on grass than it is to try and remove the plasticy residue from the clubs after hitting on mats.

Ditto here. It's definitely not any cleaner. Plus, any dirt that gets embedded in the mat ends up on my irons.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The problem with finding "some secluded spot" is that you will never get lies like you do on a fairway, and if you do, they obviously care enough about their grass to get really peeved when you start carving pelts out of it.

But as for mats, there are mats and there are mats. I like hitting off of a brush mat, but hitting off of a bouncy rubber slab is a recipe for a few weeks of PT.

If I have a choice, I'll only hit driver off the peg on the mat. If it's anything else, I want grass. The only exception to that this year came when a particularly fancy pants course decided the grass tees were too damp. Not like the course itself wasn't just as damp. I let it bother me too much and played a crappy, expensive round that day.

• 10 months later...

I switch it up but lately have become fond of the mats again. For one I don't hit fat (this month) so that's not an issue. But I've mainly been working on ball contact. I do lots of punch shot (short swing) drills when it feels like I'm contacting less then dead on.

The mats are fine for this and the advantage is it takes less time not having to continuously dance around looking for some good grass. I also think it's easy to hear when your club hits the mat first, and doesn't make that satisfying click sound.

So for repeat drills I say mats are better.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

after I'm done hitting off a mat I have to use a heavy bristled brush with thorough scrubbing to get rid of the green plastic film that accumulates on the bottom of my clubs.

You can avoid using that brush if you just wipe the club off immediately.

I just make a single wipe with my thumb whenever I'm finished with a club - pretty much as I'm putting it in the bag and grabbing the next club.

If it doesn't just wipe right off (in a single wipe, sometimes as a thin single sheet), almost any tiny amount of moisture will release that film. Drop of water, a little spit.  I suspect a quick wipe with a damp towel is just as quick and handier even than my practice.  Good habit anyway to clean a club every time you put it in the bag.

If you wait until you are completely finished or until you get home, then it dries on pretty good and then water and that brush could be needed.

Bill - 

You can avoid using that brush if you just wipe the club off immediately.

I just make a single wipe with my thumb whenever I'm finished with a club - pretty much as I'm putting it in the bag and grabbing the next club.

If it doesn't just wipe right off (in a single wipe, sometimes as a thin single sheet), almost any tiny amount of moisture will release that film. Drop of water, a little spit.  I suspect a quick wipe with a damp towel is just as quick and handier even than my practice.  Good habit anyway to clean a club every time you put it in the bag.

If you wait until you are completely finished or until you get home, then it dries on pretty good and then water and that brush could be needed.

Regardless it still makes for more work than if you're hitting off grass. The green film on clubs is honestly one of my lesser complaints about mats, but I hit off them if I have to indoor or during the winter months.

I was hitting off of mats almost daily for a while because there was a very cheap range near my house. Then I couldn't hit off of grass to the point where I would avoid playing on an actual course. I had to have a lesson to fix the bad stuff that had crept in.  Now I can see that the work I put in on the mats has paid off, since my distance and accuracy is better than it was when I started it all, but go into them with your eyes open. Realize that your distances can be deceptive since fat shots still fly OK and make sure that you are hitting off of grass sometimes.

If you are a single-digit handicap, I am sure none of this is a problem, but for a high handicapper like myself, mats can be a trap.

I was hitting off of mats almost daily for a while because there was a very cheap range near my house. Then I couldn't hit off of grass to the point where I would avoid playing on an actual course. I had to have a lesson to fix the bad stuff that had crept in.  Now I can see that the work I put in on the mats has paid off, since my distance and accuracy is better than it was when I started it all, but go into them with your eyes open. Realize that your distances can be deceptive since fat shots still fly OK and make sure that you are hitting off of grass sometimes.

If you are a single-digit handicap, I am sure none of this is a problem, but for a high handicapper like myself, mats can be a trap.

I've experienced the same at one time. Switching it up once in  a while solves the problem. Also, I can both hear and feel the impact of a club on the mat before the ball. Even though mats may be forgiving I doubt the "forgiven" shots are really great - just ok.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Real grass just isn't an option for most, of course we would all prefer it.

The big problem I'm having with mats now is teeing up driver and 3W, the range I frequent has the automatic tee system where the ball just pops up from the ground, you can adjust the height, but the issue is the tee system is outside of the mat, so the visual is very strange, not realistic, the area in front of the ball is lower than the mat, so I don't think it's good practice for teeing up, well not for me. I purchased one of those range mat tee holders that replaces the hose that most use, and I'll be going to a traditional mat range next time, hopefully the more realistic view of the ball being on the mat will help.

I didn't vote, as I will use a mat only when grass isn't available.  None of the choices fit, our grass range is closed right now so I have no option but to hit off a mat or not hit balls.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Regardless it still makes for more work than if you're hitting off grass. The green film on clubs is honestly one of my lesser complaints about mats, but I hit off them if I have to indoor or during the winter months.

I think that makes no sense -

1 - it's easier to take a single wipe of the film off an iron than cleaning a dirty club at the same moment

2 - you should clean the dirt off too for the same reasons - so you'd either clean them regardless of hitting surface, or not clean them regardless

(that said, I prefer grass too, but that wasn't my point about giving a hint to address the issue)

Bill - 

I think that makes no sense - 1 - it's easier to take a single wipe of the film off an iron than cleaning a dirty club at the same moment 2 - you should clean the dirt off too for the same reasons - so you'd either clean them regardless of hitting surface, or not clean them regardless (that said, I prefer grass too, but that wasn't my point about giving a hint to address the issue)

But cleaning dirt off is just as easy after you're finished hitting as before. Dip the club in water and wipe it off when you're done at the range. It's not something you have to do for each shot or use a bristle brush on afterwords.

But cleaning dirt off is just as easy after you're finished hitting as before. Dip the club in water and wipe it off when you're done at the range. It's not something you have to do for each shot or use a bristle brush on afterwords.

your mileage may vary - no issues

(not each shot, just when the club goes into the bag - easier with mats if clean immediately, easier off grass if clean when entirely done)

I was just offering help on getting that film off.  not looking for a debate here.

I actually use a range session as an opportunity to clean my clubs when hitting off of grass anyway.  When I'm done with each club, I'll go to that water tank and clean it anyway.  if it's available - I usually pick a spot near a cleaning bucket anyway.

Bill - 

your mileage may vary - no issues (not each shot, just when the club goes into the bag - easier with mats if clean immediately, easier off grass if clean when entirely done) I was just offering help on getting that film off.  not looking for a debate here. I actually use a range session as an opportunity to clean my clubs when hitting off of grass anyway.  When I'm done with each club, I'll go to that water tank and clean it anyway.  if it's available - I usually pick a spot near a cleaning bucket anyway.

No worries, sorry if I was coming across as confrontational. I just strongly dislike mats because of that film they leave, just because nothing I've tried has easily removed it. Your suggestions may help with that.

I always found that the plastic film from mats comes off easily with a little water and a wipe with a paper towel. That is not the most evil thing about mats.

Note: This thread is 3268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!