IGNORED

Conservative play versus Aggressive

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play mostly conservatively, mostly aggressive, or a little bit of both depending on situation?

• Mostly conservative
    • Mostly aggressive
    • A bit of both

Conservative.  I find that going for the middle of the fairway, the fat part of the green and not, "going for it" works out better.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I am mostly conservative off the tee, and aggressive with the approaches.  9 times out of 10 I will fire at the pin...unless I am playing for something, which is rare.  I just figure why play safe when it doesn't mean anything.  I'm out there to try and make birdies and pars, not to not make doubles.  I play it safe off the tee to get a good position to hit something as close as I can.

• Upvote 1

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I put both because i am conservative and think about my tee shot because it sets up the rest of my hole...if i'm 170 and in...i'm going at the pin, if it's warranted.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I don't think I'm good enough to be aggressive. On approach shots I will normally look at where I can do the least amount of damage if I hit a bad shot.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im a high capper but it really depends on how my round is going. Usually we play matchplay, I'll usually start aggro and try to steal a few holes to start. However if im up 2+ holes ill just start laying it up and playing really conservatively, let me opponents make mistakes.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I used to be stupidly aggressive, but now I consider myself to be thoughtfully conservative.  That means that I'm not automatically going for the safe route every time, but more often than not, that's the only route that makes any sense.  Every situation is different and I evaluate each one as it comes up.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Since i am a fade guy, i am aggressive to pins i think i can get at. Usually i will just play to the center of the green for pins ont the right and let it fade to the pin. If the pins on the left, i will aim at the pin and fade it to the center of the green.

As for tee shots, unless i know there is hazards in my landing zone, i will grip and rip. Even then i will still use the driver and hit away from trouble.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Good topic. I try to pick my spots and commit to a target with a concentrated effort. I have done a good job of eliminating the doubles and feel that I need to ramp up on the tee shots and pick more aggressive and rewarding lines. Lately it seems like this is holding me back by playing too far away from trouble with a miss being safe but too far out of position. On the greens I try to be under the hole and stay away from short siding myself. I try go for anything inside 150 unless it is a really dumb play. I am both and now I am getting to the place where I need to trust my swing more.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Rule of thumb, don't shortside yourself.  Easy to remember, but hard to stick to at times.  Train your eyes to to automatically work that way.  Never hurts to play for the middle of the green every time.  I caddied on tour for some time, and you'd be surprised, they don't just shoot at pins.  The greens are way to firm and the rough is too long for them to get up and down easily when shortsided.

I had to vote a bit of both, but I recently read a really good article on playing fearless golf.  Most all of us on this forum will never make a living playing golf and we shouldn't treat the game like it is all about your score at the end of the round.  The shots that replay in your mind forever are rarely the ones where you were playing conservatively.  Thinking back over the last few seasons, I have grown progressively more conservative for fearing of screwing up my handicap.  The thing I realized is that my game was progressing faster and all in all more fun a couple of years ago when I was more aggressive.  It was also the time when I posted many of my best rounds and have memories of some shots I will never forget!

That being said, I am going to try to incorporate more fearless play in my game this season.  I am not going to get crazy and try to carry a 300yd shot over a pond to try to make a par five in two, but I am going to try to make more shots that I am capable of instead of looking for the safest way.  Golf is a mental game, and always being conservative does not always bring out the confidence that can help you get your game to the next level.

Now there are several people on here that could probably take me out on a course and whip my score while playing conservatively.  I applaud anyone that figures out how to manage this game the best they can.  My way probably won't be right for most, but I am letting loose this year!

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

Originally Posted by golferfreddie

I had to vote a bit of both, but I recently read a really good article on playing fearless golf.  Most all of us on this forum will never make a living playing golf and we shouldn't treat the game like it is all about your score at the end of the round.  The shots that replay in your mind forever are rarely the ones where you were playing conservatively.  Thinking back over the last few seasons, I have grown progressively more conservative for fearing of screwing up my handicap.  The thing I realized is that my game was progressing faster and all in all more fun a couple of years ago when I was more aggressive.  It was also the time when I posted many of my best rounds and have memories of some shots I will never forget.

No, the ones I replay in my mind are the stupid ones which led to a double bogey when I was foolishly tempted to go for the glory instead of playing for par.  I've blown too many good rounds through misplaced confidence.  Once in my life I stood on the 18th tee at 1 under par.  I went for the glory and made a triple bogey when two 6 irons and a wedge would have made no worse than bogey.  That happened almost 20 years ago and it haunts me to this day.  I'll still look for the smart shot, you can have the glory.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think everybody should be a bit of both, the key is to know when to be which............

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

I'm usually aggressive, which usually gets me into trouble, which always affects my score, which sadly, reflects in my handicap, which in conclusion, makes me sad.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No, the ones I replay in my mind are the stupid ones which led to a double bogey when I was foolishly tempted to go for the glory instead of playing for par.  I've blown too many good rounds through misplaced confidence.  Once in my life I stood on the 18th tee at 1 under par.  I went for the glory and made a triple bogey when two 6 irons and a wedge would have made no worse than bogey.  That happened almost 20 years ago and it haunts me to this day.  I'll still look for the smart shot, you can have the glory.

I have had sooo many situations when I'm standing at my home course's 18th tee under or even par, and got a horrible score.  Albeit, the 18th hole at my home is a 210 par 3 with a postage stamp green, so its a hard hole in general.  But I hate sucking on it!!  And it most certainly stays in my head til the next day when I'm standing on the tee with the same score thinking I'm going to do something different, and it turns out worse than the day before...

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

For a high HC'er, aggressive play is stupid play.  I still play that way sometimes, but the more confident I get in my game, the less I do this.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by plugged

For a high HC'er, aggressive play is stupid play.  I still play that way sometimes, but the more confident I get in my game, the less I do this.

That's how I approach it as well.  I'd rather lay up with a 3W and hit an iron over a water hazard than hit my driver into the water.  In that situation it's stupid for me to swing my driver given I'm not consistent with it, for a lower handicap player this isn't as aggressive a play, so it's all relative.

Joe Paradiso

I guess it would depend on the condition. It also depends on the length of the hole, number of hazards between you, possibility of going into the rough, lie of your ball, etc.

I.e., I usually hit about 145 yard with my 7I and about 160 yards with my 6I. On a par 3 hole, 150 yards, with little hazards and/or "unforgivable" areas, I'd go for a fuller 7I swing, rather than a shorter 6I swing.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish that round or what type of golfer you want to become. If I'm a weekend golfer out to swing for the fences and have a great time with guys, lay up isn't in my vocab. But if I'm trying to build a good handicap or prepare myself for tourny playing a mix of both is a must. I'm a firm believer in gut feeling, if you think your gonna hit it short and in the hazard don't let a Tiger wanna be talk you into a snow man. Just be you and do what you know you can do. If it doesn't work out you'll live and learn for the next situation . That is the great thing about this game, no one is there to tell you what to do (just suggest) and if something goes wrong it's your fault.

Note: This thread is 2293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!