IGNORED

Thoughts on Rickie Fowler and The Masters' tradition?

deronsizemore
Note: This thread is 4793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by nleary9201

I think Tigers behavior is much more disrespectful than a stupid hat on backwards issue.  Everyone seems to foget his cussing and f bombs all the time, because the "scandal" was way bigger news.  Did the powers that be at Augusta talk to Woods about his behavior? I didn't hear about that.

Because no one else in the history of man has ever dropped an f bomb at Augusta National. C'mon man, how many times must this be rehashed?

And yes, I'd like to believe that if Phil or Tiger put their hat on backwards they'd be asked not to as well.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

And yes, I'd like to believe that if Phil or Tiger put their hat on backwards they'd be asked not to as well.

I agree they'd be asked to wear their hat properly, but that's not what happened according to the article.  My issue was that the article states Townsend reached over and turned Fowlers hat the proper way which is something one would do to a kid, not to someone they respect.

Joe Paradiso

While I personally don't care which way Rickie wears his hat I do believe that Augusta Nation is a private club and has a right to set the dress code at their facilities.  But I agree that the on course conduct of some of the pro golfers has been less than "gentlemanly"  and certainly more disrespectful of the venue than wearing a hat backwards.

Butch

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I understand the "it's their club, they get to set the rules" argument, and can even accept it as reasonable.  That said, would Townsend have "reached over and turned" Tiger or Phil's hat forward or respectfully asked them to comply?  Fowler is young, but he's a pro.  Just like they expect him to respect their rules and traditions they should respect that he's a professional golfer and deserves the same respect as other members on the tour regardless of his age.  Respect is a two way street.

According to the article the blogger linked to, that (respectfully asking him to turn it around) was exactly what they did.  The blogger added the "reached over and turned " his cap.  But it wasn't in the article the blogger based his post on.  But hey, it got him (the blogger) more hits.

Here is the original article:

"AUGUSTA, Ga. – Rickie Fowler discovered that rules carry some weight at Augusta National.

As the youngster sat down for his interview in the media center, he was vintage Fowler – meaning he turned his hat around backwards. When he was asked by Augusta National member Ron Townsend to turn it around, Fowler explained that he does it that way so that people can see his face, an explanation that earned him zero credit points with Townsend.

A second request to turn it around was granted by Fowler."

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by jamo

Because no one else in the history of man has ever dropped an f bomb at Augusta National. C'mon man, how many times must this be rehashed?

I remember Tiger being criticized for having a hat on backwards when he was attending an Orlando Magic game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

According to the article the blogger linked to, that (respectfully asking him to turn it around) was exactly what they did.  The blogger added the "reached over and turned " his cap.  But it wasn't in the article the blogger based his post on.  But hey, it got him (the blogger) more hits.

Here is the original article:

"AUGUSTA, Ga. – Rickie Fowler discovered that rules carry some weight at Augusta National.

As the youngster sat down for his interview in the media center, he was vintage Fowler – meaning he turned his hat around backwards. When he was asked by Augusta National member Ron Townsend to turn it around, Fowler explained that he does it that way so that people can see his face, an explanation that earned him zero credit points with Townsend.

A second request to turn it around was granted by Fowler."

This is a case of the author of the article making up things to get more attention. He's changed the article from when I first read it yesterday. The original article said NOTHING about the Augusta official reaching over and actually turning Rickie's hat around. The original article stated that the Augusta official told Rickie to turn his hat around to which Rickie said he would not because he wanted people to see his face and again the Augusta official told him to turn his hat around and this time Rickie complied.

The fact that the article has been changed to throw more gas on the fire and get more hits is amazing to me and I think this article has lost any credibility.

Thanks for the clarification, if that's the case I see nothing wrong with what was done.

Joe Paradiso

I remember Tiger being criticized for having a hat on backwards when he was attending an Orlando Magic game.

By who? That'd be just downright a pointless waste of time. When did being a pro golfer lose you the right to wear your hat the way you want it to a basketball game? (I hope that doesn't come off as criticizing you, turtleback.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If I remember correctly, Billy Payne was pretty critical of Tiger last year for his off-course antics. So it's not like Tiger gets a free pass from criticism as some here are saying.

With the clarification, if it's correct, that's fine.  It's still something that should be done quietly and in such a way as to avoid embarrassing the guy you're correcting.  I still don't care for the rule, but when you're a guest in someone's club, you should respect their reasonable requests and rules.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

With the clarification, if it's correct, that's fine.  It's still something that should be done quietly and in such a way as to avoid embarrassing the guy you're correcting.  I still don't care for the rule, but when you're a guest in someone's club, you should respect their reasonable requests and rules.

How about this . . . take a look at who's in the field, consider if their typical sponsor and PGA Tour approved attire (during rounds and sanctioned post round interviews) is considered appropriate at your venue. If not, discuss it with the player before he even arrives on the grounds. The committe didn't know ahead of time that Fowler would have his hat the wrong way around during an interview? Do they even follow golf other than their own press clippings? I think they're either clueless or waited to do it publicly to embarass him. Either way I'm sticking with original opinion.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

How about this . . . take a look at who's in the field, consider if their typical sponsor and PGA Tour approved attire (during rounds and sanctioned post round interviews) is considered appropriate at your venue. If not, discuss it with the player before he even arrives on the grounds. The committe didn't know ahead of time that Fowler would have his hat the wrong way around during an interview? Do they even follow golf other than their own press clippings? I think they're either clueless or waited to do it publicly to embarass him. Either way I'm sticking with original opinion.

Given the unreliable reports we got in the article, I'm going to withhold further judgement on the issue.  For all we know (or all I know, anyway) the exchange was before the conference got started and it was 100% friendly.  I'm no longer convinced it was a big public dressing down or even anything more than his just asking him to turn his hat around.  If it was, well yeah, I agree with you, but I don't know enough to say.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by nleary9201

I think Tigers behavior is much more disrespectful than a stupid hat on backwards issue.  Everyone seems to foget his cussing and f bombs all the time, because the "scandal" was way bigger news.  Did the powers that be at Augusta talk to Woods about his behavior? I didn't hear about that.

What has this thread got to do with Tiger?

You can be damned sure that Tiger's behaviour at The Masters, just like any other tournament gets scrutinised by the organisers.

When criticism is called for it is given. When fines are required, they are implemented.

And.......you only heard about Fowler because soemeone else - not the Masters Committee  - decided to make it news.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

My club has a no backward hat rule. We also have a no hat in the dining room rule too. I for one appreciate it. We have several rules that some may not like, however if they dont like it then dont join. Private clubs can set whatever rules they vote in. Its 2011 and I played at a mens only golf club this spring.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

The club has every right to impose what they want. Although I have no problem with the hat backwards, but rules are rules. Yet I would not want to see cutoffs on golf courses either, even public facitlies. Jean shorts ok, not ripped. I am not old fashioned, I will wear frye harness boots with the bottom of my jeans frayed, and caps backwards too, including my Kangols, but enough is enough already with the way the younger folk dress. Super baggy jeans, boxers showing, even tears in the knees, etc?? They look like slobs. I don't care if it is in style. That's too far. including ANYONE wearing a hat sideways or crooked. They look like completed morons. As it is, even though I understand it's his University colors, he looks like a circus clown with his colored outfits. Just as bad a Daly with his jester outfits.

Originally Posted by zeg

Given the unreliable reports we got in the article, I'm going to withhold further judgement on the issue.  For all we know (or all I know, anyway) the exchange was before the conference got started and it was 100% friendly.  I'm no longer convinced it was a big public dressing down or even anything more than his just asking him to turn his hat around.  If it was, well yeah, I agree with you, but I don't know enough to say.

Originally Posted by LeftyTrevor

My club has a no backward hat rule. We also have a no hat in the dining room rule too. I for one appreciate it. We have several rules that some may not like, however if they dont like it then dont join. Private clubs can set whatever rules they vote in. Its 2011 and I played at a mens only golf club this spring.

That all makes sense, and I bet they ensure participants in non-member events are made aware of the dress code.  Actually, would non-member tournament players even be allowed in the dining room?

There was a time when professional golfers had to use the back entrance (like the kitchen staff). Considering where the Masters is held, Fowler's lucky he gets to play at all. Having said that, I didn't see any comments from Fowler on the "incident". I think the backwards hat is a bad idea in general, but that's a topic for another thread.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

yea I know, its like did he put his hat on backwards after he sat down or did they let him walk up there and sit down like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrevor View Post

That all makes sense, and I bet they ensure participants in non-member events are made aware of the dress code.  Actually, would non-member tournament players even be allowed in the dining room?

There was a time when professional golfers had to use the back entrance (like the kitchen staff). Considering where the Masters is held, Fowler's lucky he gets to play at all. Having said that, I didn't see any comments from Fowler on the "incident". I think the backwards hat is a bad idea in general, but that's a topic for another thread.

Guests are only allowed with members. We also have a no cash or card at the club except for the beer carts. Everything else goes on account and were billed each month.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Note: This thread is 4793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!