Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ProV1xMan

Hole in One on a Mulligan

67 posts / 12590 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

[quote name="turtleback" url="/forum/thread/45522/hole-in-one-on-a-mulligan#post_593301"]



I disagree.  You can always just declare a ball unplayable and take the option of rehitting at a penalty of stroke and distance.  It was a legitimate par.





He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.[/quote] The logic in these situations is usually more circumstantial than rigid. If he tried literally 1,000 times, I doubt he'd call it an ace. It's obviously still wrong, but the motivation is circumstantial, not a hard-cut rules. (Otherwise there would be nothing to even debate.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Caine

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?



Because it's called a "hole in one", which means you got the ball in the hole on one shot. Taking a mulligan does not mean you used only one shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by Caine

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?


It's the combination of mulligans and the term "hole in one" that's the cause of the unrest.

But...you aren't scoring if you take mulligans. Even one.  A person who has been playing for 3 weeks needs to understand that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Good par save.



best par save. hell of a par save. all of the above suits this situation well. congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.


Well, it doesn't really matter whether he declared it unplayable.  Since he made a stroke on another ball, his original ball is abandoned and assumed to be declared unplayable, so whatever score he makes with his second ball is legitimate (with the penalty stroke added). If he'd holed out with his original, then there'd be a more serious problem, but since he didn't, speculation is irrelevant.

Actually, I suspect in this situation, if we're playing rules lawyer, everyone in his group should be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule.

Still, among people who play with mulligans, "hole in one" just means holing out from the tee box.  So "Yeah, I got a hole in one once.  Well, it wasn't really..." seems fine to me.  It's still a fun thing to do, even if it doesn't "really" count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude - bummer but no ace.  I can see taking a mulligan on the first hole (still not legit but probably more common) but not on 16.  But, still, nice shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

I disagree.  You can always just declare a ball unplayable and take the option of rehitting at a penalty of stroke and distance.  It was a legitimate par.

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.


It doesn't matter.  As soon as he hit a second ball without declaring a provisional the second ball was in play and he was hitting his third shot.  And while he might mistakenly call it an ace, I called it a par.  Granted they weren't playing by the rules, but applying the rules to this situation results in a par, not a no score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by zeg

Well, it doesn't really matter whether he declared it unplayable.  Since he made a stroke on another ball, his original ball is abandoned and assumed to be declared unplayable, so whatever score he makes with his second ball is legitimate (with the penalty stroke added). If he'd holed out with his original, then there'd be a more serious problem, but since he didn't, speculation is irrelevant.

Actually, I suspect in this situation, if we're playing rules lawyer, everyone in his group should be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule.

Still, among people who play with mulligans, "hole in one" just means holing out from the tee box.  So "Yeah, I got a hole in one once.  Well, it wasn't really..." seems fine to me.  It's still a fun thing to do, even if it doesn't "really" count.

Actually, if he had holed his original then it would be an ace.  Once the ball is properly holed, nothing that happens afterward would change that.  He would have a 2-stroke penalty for practicing during a round by hitting the second shot, but the penalty would be added to his score for the next hole (Rule 7-2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My nearest "hole in three" last year was while playing solo, trying to catch an old guy a couple holes ahead of me. I'd yanked a 9-iron into the trees on a par 3 then hit another off the tee because I didn't have time to look. 1/2 way down the ball looked headed for the cup. "NO, NO, Not now! Not for a par!!" I made the 2 foot tap in for bogey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by turtleback

Actually, if he had holed his original then it would be an ace.  Once the ball is properly holed, nothing that happens afterward would change that.  He would have a 2-stroke penalty for practicing during a round by hitting the second shot, but the penalty would be added to his score for the next hole (Rule 7-2)

True, but had that been the case we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I believe the penalty for practice would only apply if he knew that he'd already holed out.  Otherwise, since his re-teeing would have been allowable under the rules, I don't think the strokes would be considered practice.  Otherwise there'd be a comment on Decisions 1-1/2, /3, and /4 about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a hole in one with a mulligan, no more, no less.  Be proud, enjoy it, and recognize the agony of it not being an honest hole in one.  I would laugh about it more than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by te3point5

So, if the title of the thread read "Best par ever" then most of you would have no problem with the OP?



well, freddie couples might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

It's the combination of mulligans and the term "hole in one" that's the cause of the unrest.

But...you aren't scoring if you take mulligans. Even one.  A person who has been playing for 3 weeks needs to understand that.


You've been chewing this guy out since the beginning. All he did was ask a simple question. Should he feel wrong. He never said he was going around bragging about his hole in one. There is no reason to be so hostile towards him yet that's all you've ever been to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



You have gone to the trouble of creating a new identity just to say that? Why not use your usual username.

And....dead right I'm hostile towards people who think that they can modify the rules and terms of the games to suit themsleves. But you'll notice that I was responding to responses.

The OP got the message very early on.

Do you really think that you need to "ask" if you should feel guilty for thinking you did something you really didn't do?

The most gratifying thing for me is that I expected a chorus of responses like :

"I'd take it man."

"Hey bro, congrtas, you scored an ace"

"It's an ace, man, don't let the haters get to you."

"Me and my buddies take mulligans all of the time man. It's an ace. Congrats"

and it didn't happen. Hallelujah!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by te3point5

So, if the title of the thread read "Best par ever" then most of you would have no problem with the OP?



Well, mulligans are not the way to play the game.  But the question I was addressing was what his score should be under the actual rules - and it isn't no score as some were claiming.  Personally I don't play mulligans, I play it down, and I don't pick up stray balls.  But I don't get enraged because some other people do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holing out from the teebox is just as impressive regardless of whether it was the first or second strike at the ball. Assuming a player plays a course even infrequently, they will amass a number of attempts on a hole over time. Whether they hole out on their 8th or 9th try from that tee is irrelevant, the feat is just as unlikely. So while holing out on the second try doesn't qualify for a 1 on the scorecard, the feat is just as interesting. The feat is holing out from the tee box, it doesn't matter which attempt it was so long as it was in the normal course of play. So, wonderful feat, but most unfortunate timing on it. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Hi Erik I agree with you. There's some disagreement amongst the scientists, but I think the yips is a form of focal dystonia  i.e. the pathway of nerves between your brain and your fingers has stopped working properly, kind of burnt out. The best way to fix it is to create a new pathway using a different grip. However, as we all know, the yips produce a lot of mental scarring too and we have to deal with that as well. That's why I think the right approach is belt and braces ; solve the physical problem of focal dystonia with a new grip, and then read Bob Rotella to sort out your brain!
    • You can think that I'm an entitled college student all you want, but no. I'm not saying that I want free golf. I believe that more public courses should have college rates. I believe that if you want to play golf as a college student you have to pay the price to get on the course. I hope I've made my position clear to you. 🙂 
    • As others have mentioned, there is no reason to discount tee times if they are being sufficiently filled. I don't disagree that the issues I talked about can be "easily" fixed, it really just comes down to experience of what is expected on the golf course. In addition to the music thing, I would add the "GET IN THE HOLE" a la Tiger, or "OHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHH" that I can hear from 2-3 holes away because of a made putt or a chip-in. Just because one makes a great shot doesn't mean they get the privilege to disturb others. There is a reason there is such thing as the "golf clap". This is just a gripe from me, and I am a fairly loud person, but when I'm on the course I try to use my 5-30 yard voice instead of my normal 100-1000 yard voice. I definitely feel for you though, because being in college is a potentially straining financial time, and golf ain't cheap. I hope that your efforts with a club in your school works out for maybe getting you a discounted rate.
    • Would you reconsider that thought if they've fulfilled at least 2 of the 3 that you've mentioned? I've honestly never thought that even the slightest amount of music can be problematic for others. The restaurants are all closed down during COVID so it makes sense for the golf courses to not be flexible during this time. Thank you for the thoughtful response nonetheless. I'd also like to mention, unimportantly, that there are a handful, besides the golf courses funded by the university, that offer student rates. Including the only one throughout the county. Hard to believe, but they are a thing. Rates & Fees    
    • College aged folks are the last people golf courses want playing. I'll give 3 reasons that I see for this, and people can comment on each points' validity. 1.) The college aged crowd drinks, and you better believe they aren't buying all of their booze from the clubhouse. This is a liability for a number of reasons, from revenue to legality. 2.) College aged people do not take care of the course as well as other groups (but they aren't that far behind the average ball basher). From divot replacement, to pitch mark repair, and the worst of them all....improper cart management. They take their toll on the course in a way that most others don't. 3.) This one is more obscure and general, but I'll just say "respect for others". There is another hot thread on the forum about music being played on course. The only age group I see that does this "without exception" is 19-25 year old players. Not letting others play through can be put in here as well. Lack of yelling fore or hitting into others could also be here. With all of these points (particularly the last one), college aged players aren't the only ones that do these things, but they seem to be the largest offending group (in my eyes) and I would see no reason to give them a discount. It's like giving a discount to minors that hang outside of a convenience store smoking cigarettes....they are the last people you would give a discount to. This post is mega cynical, and I will gladly play with a group of students (and hopefully teach them some stuff during the round). I just wanted to add some stuff that I hadn't seen covered in earlier posts.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Eburris74
      Eburris74
      (46 years old)
    2. Jim White
      Jim White
      (70 years old)
    3. tapan
      tapan
      (45 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...