IGNORED

Hole in One on a Mulligan

ProV1xMan
Note: This thread is 1727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[quote name="turtleback" url="/forum/thread/45522/hole-in-one-on-a-mulligan#post_593301"]

I disagree.  You can always just declare a ball unplayable and take the option of rehitting at a penalty of stroke and distance.  It was a legitimate par.

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.[/quote] The logic in these situations is usually more circumstantial than rigid. If he tried literally 1,000 times, I doubt he'd call it an ace. It's obviously still wrong, but the motivation is circumstantial, not a hard-cut rules. (Otherwise there would be nothing to even debate.)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?

Originally Posted by Caine

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?

Because it's called a "hole in one", which means you got the ball in the hole on one shot. Taking a mulligan does not mean you used only one shot.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Caine

It's the combination of mulligans and the term "hole in one" that's the cause of the unrest.

But...you aren't scoring if you take mulligans. Even one.  A person who has been playing for 3 weeks needs to understand that.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Good par save.

best par save. hell of a par save. all of the above suits this situation well. congrats!

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Shorty

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.

Well, it doesn't really matter whether he declared it unplayable.  Since he made a stroke on another ball, his original ball is abandoned and assumed to be declared unplayable, so whatever score he makes with his second ball is legitimate (with the penalty stroke added). If he'd holed out with his original, then there'd be a more serious problem, but since he didn't, speculation is irrelevant.

Actually, I suspect in this situation, if we're playing rules lawyer, everyone in his group should be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule.

Still, among people who play with mulligans, "hole in one" just means holing out from the tee box.  So "Yeah, I got a hole in one once.  Well, it wasn't really..." seems fine to me.  It's still a fun thing to do, even if it doesn't "really" count.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

I disagree.  You can always just declare a ball unplayable and take the option of rehitting at a penalty of stroke and distance.  It was a legitimate par.

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.

It doesn't matter.  As soon as he hit a second ball without declaring a provisional the second ball was in play and he was hitting his third shot.  And while he might mistakenly call it an ace, I called it a par.  Granted they weren't playing by the rules, but applying the rules to this situation results in a par, not a no score.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by zeg

Well, it doesn't really matter whether he declared it unplayable.  Since he made a stroke on another ball, his original ball is abandoned and assumed to be declared unplayable, so whatever score he makes with his second ball is legitimate (with the penalty stroke added). If he'd holed out with his original, then there'd be a more serious problem, but since he didn't, speculation is irrelevant.

Actually, I suspect in this situation, if we're playing rules lawyer, everyone in his group should be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule.

Still, among people who play with mulligans, "hole in one" just means holing out from the tee box.  So "Yeah, I got a hole in one once.  Well, it wasn't really..." seems fine to me.  It's still a fun thing to do, even if it doesn't "really" count.

Actually, if he had holed his original then it would be an ace.  Once the ball is properly holed, nothing that happens afterward would change that.  He would have a 2-stroke penalty for practicing during a round by hitting the second shot, but the penalty would be added to his score for the next hole (Rule 7-2)

• Upvote 1

Rich - in name only

My nearest "hole in three" last year was while playing solo, trying to catch an old guy a couple holes ahead of me. I'd yanked a 9-iron into the trees on a par 3 then hit another off the tee because I didn't have time to look. 1/2 way down the ball looked headed for the cup. "NO, NO, Not now! Not for a par!!" I made the 2 foot tap in for bogey.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

So, if the title of the thread read "Best par ever" then most of you would have no problem with the OP?

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

Originally Posted by turtleback

Actually, if he had holed his original then it would be an ace.  Once the ball is properly holed, nothing that happens afterward would change that.  He would have a 2-stroke penalty for practicing during a round by hitting the second shot, but the penalty would be added to his score for the next hole (Rule 7-2)

True, but had that been the case we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I believe the penalty for practice would only apply if he knew that he'd already holed out.  Otherwise, since his re-teeing would have been allowable under the rules, I don't think the strokes would be considered practice.  Otherwise there'd be a comment on Decisions 1-1/2, /3, and /4 about this.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

It's a hole in one with a mulligan, no more, no less.  Be proud, enjoy it, and recognize the agony of it not being an honest hole in one.  I would laugh about it more than anything.

CARBITE Putter

It's the combination of mulligans and the term "hole in one" that's the cause of the unrest.

But...you aren't scoring if you take mulligans. Even one.  A person who has been playing for 3 weeks needs to understand that.

You've been chewing this guy out since the beginning. All he did was ask a simple question. Should he feel wrong. He never said he was going around bragging about his hole in one. There is no reason to be so hostile towards him yet that's all you've ever been to him.

You have gone to the trouble of creating a new identity just to say that? Why not use your usual username.

And....dead right I'm hostile towards people who think that they can modify the rules and terms of the games to suit themsleves. But you'll notice that I was responding to responses.

The OP got the message very early on.

Do you really think that you need to "ask" if you should feel guilty for thinking you did something you really didn't do?

The most gratifying thing for me is that I expected a chorus of responses like :

"I'd take it man."

"Hey bro, congrtas, you scored an ace"

"It's an ace, man, don't let the haters get to you."

"Me and my buddies take mulligans all of the time man. It's an ace. Congrats"

and it didn't happen. Hallelujah!.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by te3point5

So, if the title of the thread read "Best par ever" then most of you would have no problem with the OP?

Well, mulligans are not the way to play the game.  But the question I was addressing was what his score should be under the actual rules - and it isn't no score as some were claiming.  Personally I don't play mulligans, I play it down, and I don't pick up stray balls.  But I don't get enraged because some other people do.

Rich - in name only

Holing out from the teebox is just as impressive regardless of whether it was the first or second strike at the ball. Assuming a player plays a course even infrequently, they will amass a number of attempts on a hole over time. Whether they hole out on their 8th or 9th try from that tee is irrelevant, the feat is just as unlikely. So while holing out on the second try doesn't qualify for a 1 on the scorecard, the feat is just as interesting. The feat is holing out from the tee box, it doesn't matter which attempt it was so long as it was in the normal course of play. So, wonderful feat, but most unfortunate timing on it. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 1727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!