Sign in to follow this  
ProV1xMan

Hole in One on a Mulligan

67 posts / 12590 viewsLast Reply

[quote name="turtleback" url="/forum/thread/45522/hole-in-one-on-a-mulligan#post_593301"]

I disagree.  You can always just declare a ball unplayable and take the option of rehitting at a penalty of stroke and distance.  It was a legitimate par.

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.[/quote] The logic in these situations is usually more circumstantial than rigid. If he tried literally 1,000 times, I doubt he'd call it an ace. It's obviously still wrong, but the motivation is circumstantial, not a hard-cut rules. (Otherwise there would be nothing to even debate.)

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?

Originally Posted by Caine

Wow I can't believe the way people are digging into this kid. The kid just took up the game a year ago and is out playing a "friendly" game with Family and people are digging into him because. They took mulligans? Who cares it wasn't a competitive game so y do you care they took mulligans?

Because it's called a "hole in one", which means you got the ball in the hole on one shot. Taking a mulligan does not mean you used only one shot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Caine

It's the combination of mulligans and the term "hole in one" that's the cause of the unrest.

But...you aren't scoring if you take mulligans. Even one.  A person who has been playing for 3 weeks needs to understand that.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Good par save.

best par save. hell of a par save. all of the above suits this situation well. congrats!

Originally Posted by Shorty

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.

Well, it doesn't really matter whether he declared it unplayable.  Since he made a stroke on another ball, his original ball is abandoned and assumed to be declared unplayable, so whatever score he makes with his second ball is legitimate (with the penalty stroke added). If he'd holed out with his original, then there'd be a more serious problem, but since he didn't, speculation is irrelevant.

Actually, I suspect in this situation, if we're playing rules lawyer, everyone in his group should be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule.

Still, among people who play with mulligans, "hole in one" just means holing out from the tee box.  So "Yeah, I got a hole in one once.  Well, it wasn't really..." seems fine to me.  It's still a fun thing to do, even if it doesn't "really" count.

Dude - bummer but no ace.  I can see taking a mulligan on the first hole (still not legit but probably more common) but not on 16.  But, still, nice shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

I disagree.  You can always just declare a ball unplayable and take the option of rehitting at a penalty of stroke and distance.  It was a legitimate par.

He didn't declare it unplayable. They all just hit another off the tee because they felt like it. You can be pretty sure that if he'd duffed iit he would have gone and played his original. Do you seriously think he would have said "shit! Now I'm lying three and my first ball is near the green!" The logic of his argument is that if you stand on the tee and hit a thousand balls and one goes in it's an ace. Pretty weird.

It doesn't matter.  As soon as he hit a second ball without declaring a provisional the second ball was in play and he was hitting his third shot.  And while he might mistakenly call it an ace, I called it a par.  Granted they weren't playing by the rules, but applying the rules to this situation results in a par, not a no score.

Originally Posted by zeg

Well, it doesn't really matter whether he declared it unplayable.  Since he made a stroke on another ball, his original ball is abandoned and assumed to be declared unplayable, so whatever score he makes with his second ball is legitimate (with the penalty stroke added). If he'd holed out with his original, then there'd be a more serious problem, but since he didn't, speculation is irrelevant.

Actually, I suspect in this situation, if we're playing rules lawyer, everyone in his group should be disqualified for agreeing to waive a rule.

Still, among people who play with mulligans, "hole in one" just means holing out from the tee box.  So "Yeah, I got a hole in one once.  Well, it wasn't really..." seems fine to me.  It's still a fun thing to do, even if it doesn't "really" count.

Actually, if he had holed his original then it would be an ace.  Once the ball is properly holed, nothing that happens afterward would change that.  He would have a 2-stroke penalty for practicing during a round by hitting the second shot, but the penalty would be added to his score for the next hole (Rule 7-2)

My nearest "hole in three" last year was while playing solo, trying to catch an old guy a couple holes ahead of me. I'd yanked a 9-iron into the trees on a par 3 then hit another off the tee because I didn't have time to look. 1/2 way down the ball looked headed for the cup. "NO, NO, Not now! Not for a par!!" I made the 2 foot tap in for bogey.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Actually, if he had holed his original then it would be an ace.  Once the ball is properly holed, nothing that happens afterward would change that.  He would have a 2-stroke penalty for practicing during a round by hitting the second shot, but the penalty would be added to his score for the next hole (Rule 7-2)

True, but had that been the case we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I believe the penalty for practice would only apply if he knew that he'd already holed out.  Otherwise, since his re-teeing would have been allowable under the rules, I don't think the strokes would be considered practice.  Otherwise there'd be a comment on Decisions 1-1/2, /3, and /4 about this.

It's a hole in one with a mulligan, no more, no less.  Be proud, enjoy it, and recognize the agony of it not being an honest hole in one.  I would laugh about it more than anything.

Originally Posted by te3point5

So, if the title of the thread read "Best par ever" then most of you would have no problem with the OP?

well, freddie couples might.

It's the combination of mulligans and the term "hole in one" that's the cause of the unrest.

But...you aren't scoring if you take mulligans. Even one.  A person who has been playing for 3 weeks needs to understand that.

You've been chewing this guy out since the beginning. All he did was ask a simple question. Should he feel wrong. He never said he was going around bragging about his hole in one. There is no reason to be so hostile towards him yet that's all you've ever been to him.

You have gone to the trouble of creating a new identity just to say that? Why not use your usual username.

And....dead right I'm hostile towards people who think that they can modify the rules and terms of the games to suit themsleves. But you'll notice that I was responding to responses.

The OP got the message very early on.

Do you really think that you need to "ask" if you should feel guilty for thinking you did something you really didn't do?

The most gratifying thing for me is that I expected a chorus of responses like :

"I'd take it man."

"Hey bro, congrtas, you scored an ace"

"It's an ace, man, don't let the haters get to you."

"Me and my buddies take mulligans all of the time man. It's an ace. Congrats"

and it didn't happen. Hallelujah!.

Originally Posted by te3point5

So, if the title of the thread read "Best par ever" then most of you would have no problem with the OP?

Well, mulligans are not the way to play the game.  But the question I was addressing was what his score should be under the actual rules - and it isn't no score as some were claiming.  Personally I don't play mulligans, I play it down, and I don't pick up stray balls.  But I don't get enraged because some other people do.

Holing out from the teebox is just as impressive regardless of whether it was the first or second strike at the ball. Assuming a player plays a course even infrequently, they will amass a number of attempts on a hole over time. Whether they hole out on their 8th or 9th try from that tee is irrelevant, the feat is just as unlikely. So while holing out on the second try doesn't qualify for a 1 on the scorecard, the feat is just as interesting. The feat is holing out from the tee box, it doesn't matter which attempt it was so long as it was in the normal course of play. So, wonderful feat, but most unfortunate timing on it. :-)