IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Hmmm. Seems redundant to me. I feel the break in the difference between my two feet but I can also tell if I'm walking uphill or downhill. I mean I walk to the midpoint to take my read so I can sense if I'm walking up or down and really, if the up or downslope is so subtle that you need to read it with your feet than its effect on distance is going to be negligible, no?

Anyway, whatever works!

Probably a bit.  I still feel like there is a very noticeable difference in the quality of the read from Midpoint to Express. Maybe as I get better at express, that will change.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm. Seems redundant to me. I feel the break in the difference between my two feet but I can also tell if I'm walking uphill or downhill. I mean I walk to the midpoint to take my read so I can sense if I'm walking up or down and really, if the up or downslope is so subtle that you need to read it with your feet than its effect on distance is going to be negligible, no?

Anyway, whatever works!

The way I look at it is that when you're doing the midpoint read, there's a distinct step of determining your location to the zero line.  So the process for me is to first think "is this uphill or downhill" then to determine how far from the zero.  Its not that you don't otherwise notice that you're going uphill, its just that the midpoint read makes you say it to yourself.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Probably a bit.  I still feel like there is a very noticeable difference in the quality of the read from Midpoint to Express. Maybe as I get better at express, that will change.

You may be right. I made the switch because I was more likely to stick to it if it didn't require the chart and pace off, etc... If I ever get to a point where ballstriking isn't a glaring weakness I may move back to midpoint but I'm already the best putter in most groups I play with so until that becomes a weakness I'll roll with express.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Long Putts (20+ feet)

Express: 10/10 (Just simple, better visual alignment and easier to read multiple breaking putts)

Midpoint: 7/10 (Just seems tedious for putts that long and trying to aim 20+ inches outside the cup gets kinda hard to visualize)

Midrange Putts (5-15 feet)

Express: 8/10

Midpoint: 10/10

Short Putts (inside 5 feet)

Midpoint 10/10

Really for me Midpoint really shines inside of 15 feet.

I like the convenience of express. It would be interesting to spend 3 months going 100% express from inside of 15 feet then going 3 months of midpoint and track the stats. I wonder how much more I am getting out of midpoint.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Long Putts (20+ feet) Express: 10/10 (Just simple, better visual alignment and easier to read multiple breaking putts) Midpoint: 7/10 (Just seems tedious for putts that long and trying to aim 20+ inches outside the cup gets kinda hard to visualize) Midrange Putts (5-15 feet) Express: 8/10 Midpoint: 10/10 Short Putts (inside 5 feet) Express: 8/10 Midpoint 10/10 Really for me Midpoint really shines inside of 15 feet.  I like the convenience of express. It would be interesting to spend 3 months going 100% express from inside of 15 feet then going 3 months of midpoint and track the stats. I wonder how much more I am getting out of midpoint.

Actually that's kind of how I switched over. I started as all midpoint and then started doing express for the longer putts with really low make %. Then I got lazy and started doing express for some of the mediums and eventually just started doing express for everything.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

Long Putts (20+ feet)

Express: 10/10 (Just simple, better visual alignment and easier to read multiple breaking putts)

Midpoint: 7/10 (Just seems tedious for putts that long and trying to aim 20+ inches outside the cup gets kinda hard to visualize)

Midrange Putts (5-15 feet)

Midpoint: 10/10

Short Putts (inside 5 feet)

Midpoint 10/10

Really for me Midpoint really shines inside of 15 feet.

I like the convenience of express. It would be interesting to spend 3 months going 100% express from inside of 15 feet then going 3 months of midpoint and track the stats. I wonder how much more I am getting out of midpoint.

But on longer putts, there is more of a chance of the green varying in slope, even opposite slope.  I think midpoint would be more accurate because you break the putt up into sections.  Now I have only used Express a couple of times, so I haven't got a lot of data.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

But on longer putts, there is more of a chance of the green varying in slope, even opposite slope.  I think midpoint would be more accurate because you break the putt up into sections.  Now I have only used Express a couple of times, so I haven't got a lot of data.

Here is why I think midpoint has some big marks against it. First, you can break the putt up into different segments using express. Second, it gets difficult to pick that exact spot you came up with when you are standing far away from the hole. That adds in a lot of error on something you just spent time on to be very exact.

The big bonus on express is the use of the fingers to act as an alignment. For me on those long putts you are trying to lag it. If you can use express to get you started on a reasonably good line and a few extra putts go in, then you are saving strokes. Still the odds of making those putts are much lower than shorter putts. I just don't see it being worth it to spend the time to use midpoint. Especially on a putt with multiple breaks.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'd like to know what you guys think about this as a way to calibrate the arm bend:

1. Take a midpoint read.

2. Mark the aimpoint with a tee.

3. Return to the same spot and do the Express read for the number of fingers, then bend the arm so that the edge of my finger is at the tee.

I thought this might eliminate the variables that come with trial and error--mainly missed lines and speed.  I've watched the AE DVD twice but haven't even tried it on a practice green yet.  Thought this might speed along the learning process.

Also, has anyone compared the two reads from different spots to get a sense for how closely they match.  When I hear that AE is slightly less accurate, it gives me pause as to whether I should use it, but if I do that and see a negligible difference, it would give me more confidence.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I've never taken midpoint, but if the putt calls for it, I will break down the express read into sections and average it out. Plus, on longer putts, you have to hit the ball harder so the speed of the ball will negate some of the slope. You don't need a perfect read to hit a good lag putt, Anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'd like to know what you guys think about this as a way to calibrate the arm bend:  1. Take a midpoint read. 2. Mark the aimpoint with a tee. 3. Return to the same spot and do the Express read for the number of fingers, then bend the arm so that the edge of my finger is at the tee. I thought this might eliminate the variables that come with trial and error--mainly missed lines and speed.  I've watched the AE DVD twice but haven't even tried it on a practice green yet.  Thought this might speed along the learning process.

That's how you do it. In the absence of midpoint knowledge a little trial and error should let you figure out how far away your fingers need to be. [quote name="billchao" url="/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/600_100#post_1137900"] I've never taken midpoint, but if the putt calls for it, I will break down the express read into sections and average it out. Plus, on longer putts, you have to hit the ball harder so the speed of the ball will negate some of the slope. You don't need a perfect read to hit a good lag putt, Anyway.[/quote] Yeah. Express can segment a putt as many times as you feel is necessary, same idea as midpoint, just take a read at the midpoint of each section and tally them up. The resultant is your number. When I took both courses I was sure I'd never use express, the exactitude of the midpoint's math appealed to me. In practice I have realized that my lines and speed, as good as they are, are rarely as perfect as the math so AE won out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I've never taken midpoint, but if the putt calls for it, I will break down the express read into sections and average it out.

This is where laziness ensues for me.  As soon as a putt gets over 30-ish feet or has a double break or a funky tier or something, I don't bother with any Aimpoint.  I just focus on hitting it with the correct amount of weight to make the next putt a tap-in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

I've never taken midpoint, but if the putt calls for it, I will break down the express read into sections and average it out.

This is where laziness ensues for me.  As soon as a putt gets over 30-ish feet or has a double break or a funky tier or something, I don't bother with any Aimpoint.  I just focus on hitting it with the correct amount of weight to make the next putt a tap-in.

I will be just as lazy as you would be when my putt gets like that.   For me in that situation, it is more important to get the speed right and try to get the ball within 5 feet of the pin.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Weight. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator
Plus, on longer putts, you have to hit the ball harder so the speed of the ball will negate some of the slope. You don't need a perfect read to hit a good lag putt, Anyway.

Turns out that line of thinking is incorrect. :-) The slope matters the whole time. Imagine a 50 foot putt. 3%/90 degrees left the first 25 feet and same but right second half. What's the aim? Dead straight. Anyway…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did a bit of practice yesterday using the basic Exp 1 Aimpoint method.  I will stick to it for putts shorter than 25 feet in the weekend's round..   I sure hope my Edel putter arrives by Friday.   Aimpint + Edel = less than 30 putts, please.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Did a bit of practice yesterday using the basic Exp 1 Aimpoint method.  I will stick to it for putts shorter than 25 feet in the weekend's round..   I sure hope my Edel putter arrives by Friday.   Aimpint + Edel = less than 30 putts, please.

I had 29 last round and had 1 GIR. :doh:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I had 29 last round and had 1 GIR.

Revising my goal to 28 ... :whistle:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)