IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

That's just not going to get it done. Ick.

Also, ick here:

Quote:
I don’t have a 3-wood with me right now and the thought of going for it with a hybrid didn’t sound too tempting so I laid up with an 8-iron to a good number: 120 yards.  I had a good club in my hand and a great number in front of me. I wanted to stick it close, but honestly was looking around too much and in the moment just didn’t focus well and pushed the shot to the left side rough about 2 feet off the green.

I posted a comment to his blog. I took a screenshot too. Odds it will be published? I say 30%.

Someone let me know if it sees the light of day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still want to know what he's smoking, must be really good?

DJ Short Blueberry. 26.8% THC.

Downside: He spent a lot of money and he's going to miss his goal. He has to get his resume together.

Upside: He got to be decent enough of a player to where he'll be able to enjoy the game. He has memories of this experience.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

That's just not going to get it done. Ick.

I have been following this project very casually for a few years and up until now I have never actually seen Dan's swing.

I'm impressed that he can keep his index in the low single digits with all that going on.

I'm being super nitpicky and it could have been the moment - 18@PB, but that's a bad camera angle. Straight on into the ball? And I say this knowing I can improve/be more consistent with my own camera angles. Again, there's a function to my criticism, consistent camera angles make comparisons easier. And it's easier to improve on that straight away than incorporating a swing change.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

I don’t have a 3-wood with me right now and the thought of going for it with a hybrid didn’t sound too tempting so I laid up with an 8-iron to a good number: 120 yards.  I had a good club in my hand and a great number in front of me. I wanted to stick it close, but honestly was looking around too much and in the moment just didn’t focus well and pushed the shot to the left side rough about 2 feet off the green.

120 yard 8i stuck close to the pin???

How the heck can he manage that? 45 degree open face and a half swing???

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That's just not going to get it done. Ick. Also, ick here: I posted a comment to his blog. I took a screenshot too. Odds it will be published? I say 30%. Someone let me know if it sees the light of day.

I bet he wouldn't have missed the green from 50 yards out had he bunted his hybrid up there.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I took that to mean he was 200+ out, hit half an 8i to 120 out and was standing there with a wedge of some description in his hand.

I bet he wouldn't have missed the green from 50 yards out had he bunted his hybrid up there.....

This is the truth (my foursomes inability to hit a green from 50yds out in charity scrambles notwithstanding).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I still want to know what he's smoking, must be really good?

DJ Short Blueberry. 26.8% THC.

Downside: He spent a lot of money and he's going to miss his goal. He has to get his resume together.

Upside: He got to be decent enough of a player to where he'll be able to enjoy the game. He has memories of this experience.

Thanks, IDK much about this type of stuff. . .

Quote:

I took that to mean he was 200+ out, hit half an 8i to 120 out and was standing there with a wedge of some description in his hand.

There are just so many clubs to hit to 120 (or even 80 to 150?? IDK what 200+ means to his game because it is almost reachable with a good iron shot for me (13HC)).

I just don't understand why an 8i? That seems a lot more difficult to do. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's a 540 yard par 5 and he doesn't carry a 3 wood and after his drive he is too far out to reach with his hybrid so he hit his 8 iron to 120 yards.  There is no information in there about how far his drive went and what kind of shot he hit with the 8 iron either.  A decent drive of 260 or so would mean that a full 8 iron of 160-ish would put him in the 120 range.

Quote:

It's a 540 yard par 5 and he doesn't carry a 3 wood and after his drive he is too far out to reach with his hybrid so he hit his 8 iron to 120 yards.  There is no information in there about how far his drive went and what kind of shot he hit with the 8 iron either.  A decent drive of 260 or so would mean that a full 8 iron of 160-ish would put him in the 120 range.

Yeah, right he had something like 280 yards left with some kind of forced 220 yard carry I guess. . .sure that makes sense. Took me a couple posts to get it. Doh. :doh:

EDIT: Just looked at the hole. That play he made makes no sense at all. Driver hybrid would make some sense. On google earth a 260 yard drive would put you in between the trees in the fairway. The next shot is 244 to the center over the green. A more sensible second shot could be to aim for the right bunker with either a hybrid or 3i. You're left with a 30-50 yard chip/pitch shot.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

His left leg is doing some really weird stuff. Goes straighter at first (good), then gets bent even more than it was at address before the top of the backswing(bad!), then gets even more bent on the downswing(badder!).  Nevermind that takeaway! :-\

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

His left leg is doing some really weird stuff. Goes straighter at first (good), then gets bent even more than it was at address before the top of the backswing(bad!), then gets even more bent on the downswing(badder!).  Nevermind that takeaway!

It's pretty clear he's not a 3 handicap through decent ball striking, I suppose his short game is killer good.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

T. Odds it will be published? I say 30%.

I know you are an optimistic and positive type, iacas, but this is ridiculous.

The odds are 0%

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's pretty clear he's not a 3 handicap through decent ball striking, I suppose his short game is killer good.

I wouild suggest that his short game in NOT killer good.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yeah, right he had something like 280 yards left with some kind of forced 220 yard carry I guess. . .sure that makes sense. Took me a couple posts to get it. Doh.

EDIT: Just looked at the hole. That play he made makes no sense at all. Driver hybrid would make some sense. On google earth a 260 yard drive would put you in between the trees in the fairway. The next shot is 244 to the center over the green. A more sensible second shot could be to aim for the right bunker with either a hybrid or 3i. You're left with a 30-50 yard chip/pitch shot.

No forced carries on that hole.  He just felt uncomfortable about hitting his hybrid and wanted a "good distance" for his third.  Of course it makes no sense - that is the entire reason why Erik brought it up, and why he said "ick."

Quick side question- may have already been answered in the 158 pages but how many hours should a round of golf count for?

No freaking clue.  If I was the one doing this I'd probably count a round as one or two hours towards my total, I guess.  Certainly not 4.

No freaking clue.  If I was the one doing this I'd probably count a round as one or two hours towards my total, I guess.  Certainly not 4.

Yeah- I am trying to estimate how many hours I put in this year. I mean you hit the ball very little during a round of golf- he counts it as 4, I would say maybe an hour although there are other things that are learned on the course I guess? I will put an hour I guess. I don't know why you would make it 4 if you are playing on your own as a 3 handicap you should be able to get done in 2 hr 45

Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!