IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't believe this thread is still kicking.

Dan will never win the B flight of a Club Championship. Can't believe there is any type of debate about playing on the PGA Tour. The whole thing is so stupid! He's probably about a 7-8 handicap on a real course. I hate when people say he's a 2-3 handicap. There's no way.

Did anyone notice that very few of us has a long term plan on improving golf?   I had goals, and short term plan for specific practices but never a long term plan.   Besides Dan's plan, I've seen just another one (a UK man in 30's I think).   It's no wonder our golf improvements stall quicker than it should.  Who amongst us have a detailed long (more than a year) term plan?   Maybe it's a thread deserving its own.   I for one am shocked that I never had a long term plan and I work for corporate America for a living where long term planning is a must.

I think the discussion is more directed towards practice methods and time allotment versus Dan, I'm sure there are very few or any people with any real knowledge about the kind of pure all out talent you need to have to even remotely think about having even an outside shot at the big show, fact Dan is not going to play any PGA events without being given an exemption he simply does not possess enough natural talent.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Did anyone notice that very few of us has a long term plan on improving golf?   I had goals, and short term plan for specific practices but never a long term plan.   Besides Dan's plan, I've seen just another one (a UK man in 30's I think).   It's no wonder our golf improvements stall quicker than it should.  Who amongst us have a detailed long (more than a year) term plan?   Maybe it's a thread deserving its own.   I for one am shocked that I never had a long term plan and I work for corporate America for a living where long term planning is a must.

Probably in part because this is our hobby - my long-term plan is simply to keep enjoying the sport, play as many great courses as possible and get my friends more involved! Yes, I want to be a single-digit handicap, but having only really been playing properly with a year, I'm happy to trust that will happen if I keep putting in the hours and practising the right things. In the short term, I'm very happy to be specific about what I want to do, but longer term, definitely not - it'd just be a stick to beat myself with!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the discussion is more directed towards practice methods and time allotment versus Dan, I'm sure there are very few or any people with any real knowledge about the kind of pure all out talent you need to have to even remotely think about having even an outside shot at the big show, fact Dan is not going to play any PGA events without being given an exemption he simply does not possess enough natural talent.

I still think he could go further, much further if he does things very very differently. By the way his goal is to make the cut in a PGA Tournament, not just get on one. Am I going to argue that he's going to achieve that? No, but I will argue that he could do much better than winning the B flight of his club's championship. Here's a question - could a guy who played golf from early teens to mid 20's only ever getting down to a 7 handicap so not super talented in many respects, decide to go for it and use all sorts of things Dan isn't using (good coaching, playing with better players, target based practice, a dedicated fitness regime) be playing at mini-tour level in 2 years? Could he do well at that level and step up to the next level rapidly? Move on to the upper tour in his area (ie European Tour)? Win at that level even? If you answered "No" you are wrong because that's precisely what a guy who was a 7 handicapper did. Dan isn't 'blazing a trail' because to an extent it's already been done (to European Tour level at least) it's just that none of you guys have heard of it. The guy in question didn't do the whole media and magazine covers thing, he just got his head down and worked hard. He also did a bunch of things that so far Dan doesn't appear to be doing. I wanted to get good at this game so rather than speaking to a guy who wrote a book about other people doing something like this, I tracked down someone who had actually done it himself - the guy I'm talking about above. He gave me some great advice which mostly boils down to work hard, be specific about your targets along the way and focus your practice in order to achieve them. Pretty obvious to an extent but he put it in context. Dan isn't doing (or at least appears to not be doing) several key things he needs to do in order to improve. If he starts doing them he could go further. No idea how much further but definitely further than he is now.

Pete Iveson

Well, Dan didn't post any scores between 4/15 and 4/30, so his index stays at 5.4.  His blog says he played, although was off with an injury for some of the time.

Probably in part because this is our hobby - my long-term plan is simply to keep enjoying the sport, play as many great courses as possible and get my friends more involved! Yes, I want to be a single-digit handicap, but having only really been playing properly with a year, I'm happy to trust that will happen if I keep putting in the hours and practising the right things. In the short term, I'm very happy to be specific about what I want to do, but longer term, definitely not - it'd just be a stick to beat myself with!

I like this, it resonates w/ me. I golf & practice merely because being a better golfer is more fun. However, if I honestly never make it to single digit, it's not a big deal...I'll have fun whether I'm shooting 100 or 80.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I like this, it resonates w/ me. I golf & practice merely because being a better golfer is more fun. However, if I honestly never make it to single digit, it's not a big deal...I'll have fun whether I'm shooting 100 or 80.

At this point, I want to get better and give myself goals throughout the season.

Like you, I'm not sure I'll ever be a single digit HC but we'll see!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

FWIW, Dan's not reached out to me after a weekend where he had planned to call me. He never texted that weekend (three weekends ago?) and I haven't heard from him since.

I made the offer, and he seemed eager, but I'm not going to go out of my way to give away several hundred dollars worth of services per week for an entire summer.

The offer still stands, though, and I still think it would be the best thing Dan could do at this point. He'd learn how to practice, he'd learn how to improve, he'd know what to improve, and he'd get a chance to devote a good amount of time to golf and golf instruction done properly.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

FWIW, Dan's not reached out to me after a weekend where he had planned to call me. He never texted that weekend (three weekends ago?) and I haven't heard from him since.

I made the offer, and he seemed eager, but I'm not going to go out of my way to give away several hundred dollars worth of services per week for an entire summer.

The offer still stands, though, and I still think it would be the best thing Dan could do at this point. He'd learn how to practice, he'd learn how to improve, he'd know what to improve, and he'd get a chance to devote a good amount of time to golf and golf instruction done properly.

Shame, as you say it'd make a lot of sense for him.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

It doesn't make any sense for him. Anything which takes away potential excuses for him is a negative.

He will still claim to have got to a handicap of scratch or one, and people will think that he's the same as a pro anyway, because his target for "motivational encounters" will not be keen golfers.

It's all about branding himself. It's not about golf. He'll say it's about exploring human potential and nothing more. All of his interviews are predictable, boring and dishonest.

If it was about golf he'd have the decency and common courtesy to at least communicate with iacas.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b101

It doesn't make any sense for him. Anything which takes away potential excuses for him is a negative.

He will still claim to have got to a handicap of scratch or one, and people will think that he's the same as a pro anyway, because his target for "motivational encounters" will not be keen golfers.

It's all about branding himself. It's not about golf. He'll say it's about exploring human potential and nothing more. All of his interviews are predictable, boring and dishonest.

If it was about golf he'd have the decency and common courtesy to at least communicate with iacas.

I agree with the bit about common courtesy (not sure about the dishonesty bit - dishonest in what way?) and it's a really nice offer from Erik's point of view - he's offering services for free - but it doesn't make sense for Dan as I simply refuse to accept he can't get all of that within a few miles of where he's sitting if he wanted to.

I can't accept that no one in Oregon can teach golf to a high level, no one there knows how to practice or there are no really good players for him to practice and play with. I live in rural Lincolnshire in the UK and get all of what Erik is offering (and more to an extent) and get much of it for free. Networking with magazines and media types is, to an extent, a waste of time. Networking with the golfing community local to you isn't. I guess on that point I agree with what you're saying about "branding", Shorty. I just think he's getting his priorities wrong.

But if Dan wanted what Erik is offering he could go out an get it tomorrow.

Pete Iveson

• Administrator

I agree with the bit about common courtesy (not sure about the dishonesty bit - dishonest in what way?) and it's a really nice offer from Erik's point of view - he's offering services for free - but it doesn't make sense for Dan as I simply refuse to accept he can't get all of that within a few miles of where he's sitting if he wanted to.

He can't. You're simultaneously over-stating how good other instructors are and understating how good I am. I'm in the unique position of working at a place this summer that's 45 minutes away from where I live, so there will be odd half-hour to hour-long gaps between lessons, during junior clinics I have to start and keep an eye on but not oversee directly, etc. that I have time to squeeze Dan in, even an hour or so at the end of the day when I can stay a bit longer before I drive home, or a half hour to start the day which just means leaving a bit earlier. This post isn't to brag, at all, but no, it's not the kind of offer Dan can find within a few miles (or possibly a few states, and once we're talking about that, it almost doesn't matter where it is) of where he's at.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Forget golf. How hard is it to send an email? Or a simple text? I understand if you're bed bound by injury or have family commitments but he's been tweeting, so no problems w/using a computer/mobile device. If someone at work offers me a big favor and asks to check back in a week, I d@mn will sure make sure I get back to him in a week.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

He can't. You're simultaneously over-stating how good other instructors are and understating how good I am. I'm in the unique position of working at a place this summer that's 45 minutes away from where I live, so there will be odd half-hour to hour-long gaps between lessons, during junior clinics I have to start and keep an eye on but not oversee directly, etc. that I have time to squeeze Dan in, even an hour or so at the end of the day when I can stay a bit longer before I drive home, or a half hour to start the day which just means leaving a bit earlier. This post isn't to brag, at all, but no, it's not the kind of offer Dan can find within a few miles (or possibly a few states, and once we're talking about that, it almost doesn't matter where it is) of where he's at.

Regarding the bit in bold, I'm not really sure how you come that conclusion? I didn't say Dan can get better instruction at home, I said I'm sure he can get top level instruction where he is. You can only say I'm "over-stating how good other instructors are and understating how good you are" if you are categorically saying you are better than any instructor anywhere near Dan.

I'm sure you're very good but I get very high level instruction here in a rural county in the UK. I'm going to stick my neck out and say I'll bet it's not a lower level of instruction someone could get coming to you. That's a compliment and not meant as a 'put down' - I think very highly of my coach.

Learning to practice is also important and there are people out there I'm sure could help Dan if he just went out and found them. I was practising with one tour pro on Friday and got a text while out on a Texas Scramble (interesting experience as not done one before.....) literally a couple of hours ago asking if I'd like to join them and another tour pro for a training session on Monday afternoon. I will be doing. This is costing me nothing and much of my coaching has been free. I can't see why Dan can't do the same.

Pete Iveson

He got pro bono instruction from a well regarded local instructor when he first started. It didn't work out. I'm guessing there are no other takers,  he had to have tried. Not too many pros are going to offer their services for free.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
I said I'm sure he can get top level instruction where he is.

I disagree, particularly "4-8 hours per week completely free."

You can only say I'm "over-stating how good other instructors are and understating how good you are" if you are categorically saying you are better than any instructor anywhere near Dan.

I'd bet that I am.

This is OT, though, so I may send a PM or not, I don't know. But let's get back to the topic. Thank you.

So I'm stuck on a Southwest flight a couple days ago, pull out the magazine to roll it up for a pillow, and there's Dan on the cover. So I read it. It's not what you think, you folks should read the article if you haven't already. Some comments (as best I remember)

His parents said all his life he starts stuff and never finishes anything. They are surprised he has stuck this out this far. They live in Myrtle Beach.

He owns a house in Portland, rents it out and lives in a rental. He has to manage his rental, do repairs, etc. He is really doing this on the cheap. He started with $100k in savings, don't know how much is left.

He's asked if not making it to the tour but working at it for years and then writing a book about it would be a "success", he says yes but doesn't think others would think so.

He had free privileges at a club in Portland for two years but they didn't renew it for him, he's paying $500 a month at his current club (wow).

Other interesting stuff too but I forgot it, it was a boring flight.

It's really not a glowing article about him, regardless of how it looks on the cover. If there is a link to the mag article in this thread somewhere I sure suggest reading it.

Steve

So I'm stuck on a Southwest flight a couple days ago, pull out the magazine to roll it up for a pillow, and there's Dan on the cover. So I read it. It's not what you think, you folks should read the article if you haven't already. Some comments (as best I remember)

His parents said all his life he starts stuff and never finishes anything. They are surprised he has stuck this out this far. They live in Myrtle Beach.

He owns a house in Portland, rents it out and lives in a rental. He has to manage his rental, do repairs, etc. He is really doing this on the cheap. He started with $100k in savings, don't know how much is left.

He's asked if not making it to the tour but working at it for years and then writing a book about it would be a "success", he says yes but doesn't think others would think so.

He had free privileges at a club in Portland for two years but they didn't renew it for him, he's paying $500 a month at his current club (wow).

Other interesting stuff too but I forgot it, it was a boring flight.

It's really not a glowing article about him, regardless of how it looks on the cover. If there is a link to the mag article in this thread somewhere I sure suggest reading it.

I read it. I think it's probably a pretty honest outlook on where he is right now. I must confess I don't 'get' spending $500 a month on a posh club and not finding the money for instruction - it's just the wrong priorities in my eyes.

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 2416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!