IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know why anyone is surprised at the results so far.  10,000 hours is a long freaking time to devote to something you had zero previous interest in.  And that is something about the deliberate practice studies that Dan chose to ignore from the beginning: that is, the fact that the "experts" in the study started in their field (e.g., playing violin) at a young age by essentially playing .  They found they enjoyed it and had an aptitude for it and then developed further.

No one wakes up and says, "ya know, I have never surfed before in my life, but I think I'll dedicate 10,000 hours and become a professional at it" and reaches that goal.  I mean, WTF!?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The comments are turning negative on thedanplan: http://thedanplan.com/sadly-the-first-wd-from-a-tourney/

I liked the word 'Planfulness' as well and intend to use it from now on :-) .

I think the lack of 'planfulness' really hits the nail on the head though. Can anyone actually tell me what the plan bit of The Dan Plan is because it's something I've struggled to work out? I can't really see any structure, targets, tracking of targets, assessment......... basically I can't see a plan. All I really see is someone playing lots of golf and hoping that in 10,000 they'll be good enough.

Pete Iveson

I liked the word 'Planfulness' as well and intend to use it from now on .

I think the lack of 'planfulness' really hits the nail on the head though. Can anyone actually tell me what the plan bit of The Dan Plan is because it's something I've struggled to work out? I can't really see any structure, targets, tracking of targets, assessment......... basically I can't see a plan. All I really see is someone playing lots of golf and hoping that in 10,000 they'll be good enough.

But there must be planfulness - he even has his own five step model!

"Want to learn how to set off on your own Dan Plan? Start here and we will send you a five step guide to launching your Dan Plan"

Just mad...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

I liked the word 'Planfulness' as well and intend to use it from now on .

But there must be planfulness - he even has his own five step model!

"Want to learn how to set off on your own Dan Plan? Start here and we will send you a five step guide to launching your Dan Plan"

Just mad...

Anyone want to have a stab at what the 5 steps contained in the Dan Plan guide are?

Where's @Shorty when you need him ...... :-D

Pete Iveson

Without sounding too cynical (if that's possible) it just occurred to me that this may be Dan's new plan. His exit/transition plan.

Hear me out:

So Dan knows he isn't getting better and isn't going to get better. He isn't really trying to get better. But now he can say "I was gonna make it, but I got hurt. I can't play any more at a pro level. But if I hadn't gotten hurt, I could have done it" (play Rocky music)

He has to be sure that he doesn't really fully recover from this injury for this gig to work out.

And he transitions into Inspiration Guy full time, inspiring others to follow their dreams. Motivational speaking. Reach for the stars! Be like me!

Appearing at fundraisers, golf related charities, etc. Raising money full time. A beacon of hope to hackers (and non-golfers) everywhere. You can do this! I did it (or was going to, I got this close! But it's the journey is what's important!)

Write an inspiring "follow your dreams" book. All the angst, depression, haters, and then the final triumph through strength and perseverance!

Transition into a sports celebrity, not just a golf celebrity.

Maybe a golf instruction book "How to go from a complete beginner to a 3 handicap in 3 years"

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's not that calculating (he really hasn't been so far). But I think he's giving up on his "tour dream" and looking to turn this into some sort of peripheral golf celebrity gig. Note all the recent charity stuff, and lack of interest in serious golf stuff. But he's gotta do it quick before the few people who have heard of him completely forget about him.

Getting the article in SW magazine was maybe the first step in the new plan. But press like that won't come easily, he better move fast!

• Upvote 2

Steve

Without sounding too cynical (if that's possible) it just occurred to me that this may be Dan's new plan. His exit/transition plan. Hear me out: So Dan knows he isn't getting better and isn't going to get better. He isn't really trying to get better. But now he can say "I was gonna make it, but I got hurt. I can't play any more at a pro level. But if I hadn't gotten hurt, I could have done it" (play Rocky music) He has to be sure that he doesn't really fully recover from this injury for this gig to work out. And he transitions into Inspiration Guy full time, inspiring others to follow their dreams. Motivational speaking. Reach for the stars! Be like me! Appearing at fundraisers, golf related charities, etc. Raising money full time. A beacon of hope to hackers (and non-golfers) everywhere. You can do this! I did it (or was going to, I got this close! But it's the journey is what's important!) Write an inspiring "follow your dreams" book. All the angst, depression, haters, and then the final triumph through strength and perseverance! Transition into a sports celebrity, not just a golf celebrity. Maybe a golf instruction book "How to go from a complete beginner to a 3 handicap in 3 years" Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's not that calculating (he really hasn't been so far). But I think he's giving up on his "tour dream" and looking to turn this into some sort of peripheral golf celebrity gig. Note all the recent charity stuff, and lack of interest in serious golf stuff. But he's gotta do it quick before the few people who have heard of him completely forget about him. Getting the article in SW magazine was maybe the first step in the new plan. But press like that won't come easily, he better move fast!

The first part of your theory is pretty much exactly what Anthony Kim is doing, no? ;) But instead of making his living as a motivational speaker he's just living off insurance money (or so the rumor goes).

The first part of your theory is pretty much exactly what Anthony Kim is doing, no? ;)

But instead of making his living as a motivational speaker he's just living off insurance money (or so the rumor goes).

Except AK was a three time Tour winner, with about $12M in earnings, not an 8 handicap trying to pass himself off as a 3.

I want all the time I spent in this bloody thread back. :-P

But seriously, I learned a lot from the astute observations of those who posted here, but I can't really think of anything I learned directly from the plan, helpful to me w/respect to improving in golf. The Plan to me, makes golf look even harder than it is. If I would make a summation of the plan, it simply is three words. Golf is hard.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

but I can't really think of anything I learned directly from the plan, helpful to me w/respect to improving in golf.

Interesting to note you're speaking in the past tense - "I learned" rather than "I am learning". deliberate or subconcious ?

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

but I can't really think of anything I learned directly from the plan, helpful to me w/respect to improving in golf.

Interesting to note you're speaking in the past tense - "I learned" rather than "I am learning". deliberate or subconcious ?

Subconscious. Learn should be the verb tense. Again, to reiterate. I learned a lot from everyone who participated in the thread, but I'm kicking myself for my own naivete thinking there was merit to the plan as it was carried out when others long since thought otherwise.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've certainly thought and learnt a lot about how to practise from this thread, and for that I am grateful. I definitely now catch myself whenever I'm lapsing into mindless hitting mode and play a load more short game 'games'. Most importantly, my practice is now purposeful, which it wasn't always before :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I've certainly thought and learnt a lot about how to practise from this thread, and for that I am grateful. I definitely now catch myself whenever I'm lapsing into mindless hitting mode and play a load more short game 'games'. Most importantly, my practice is now purposeful, which it wasn't always before

At the risk of posting something you may have already read: Simple, Specific, Slow, Short, and Success - The Five "S"s of Great Practice

• Upvote 1

Steve

Maybe a golf instruction book "How to go from a complete beginner to a 3 handicap in 3 years"
:doh:

Problem here is he probably never legitimately became a 3, I gotta say I'm mildly surprised it took this long for him to finally injure himself doing that poor swing so many times over the past 4+ years.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I thought this was interesting, in a recent article about Lydia Ko :

Quote:

Beyond her natural talent enhanced by instruction, Ko certainly put in the time. Wilson and Niethe believe in a theory published by Swedish psychologist K. Anders Ericsson in a 1993 study and popularized by Malcolm Gladwell's 2008 book "Outliers: The Story of Success" that 10,000 hours of "deliberate practice" is the key to world-class excellence.

Whether it was the evenings after dinner at the Takapuna range -- where she would try to keep up with Ahn in the adjacent hitting bay -- skipping down the sloping fairways of Pupuke or locking up after a late session with the key she was given at the Institute of Golf, many in greater Auckland observed how much Ko put into golf.

Quote:

Lydia couldn't hit the ball more than 50 yards at first. Most of their time was spent on, or around, the green.

"Someone is not going to be able to double their distance in three or four months, although they definitely might be able to chip it twice as close," Wilson says. Ko practiced her short game extensively, and it is among the best on tour. "That's probably the majority reason she's so good around the greens now," Wilson says. "She's got the instinct of a 40- or 50-year-old the way she sees things."

When they worked on Lydia's long game, Wilson -- in contrast to a popular teaching philosophy that says junior golfers should learn to hit the ball hard, then learn to control it -- discouraged her from "trying to create more power than she could." Influenced by physiotherapists at the Institute of Golf that he co-founded after leaving Pupuke, Wilson believed such an approach would have wrecked her swing and eventually her body.

"If our goal from day one was to get her to hit it as far as she can, she wouldn't be playing golf anymore," he says. " She'd be busted, her back would be done. We always said that rhythm was good."

Of course, Lydia was 6 years old, not 31 years old, when she started out spending all that time on and around the greens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

The first part of your theory is pretty much exactly what Anthony Kim is doing, no? ;)

But instead of making his living as a motivational speaker he's just living off insurance money (or so the rumor goes).

Except AK was a three time Tour winner, with about $12M in earnings, not an 8 handicap trying to pass himself off as a 3.

I think he really was a 3 at some point, and now is roughly a 5. That's still a pretty good golfer in my mind. He just lacks oomph to get the distances and flights he needs to get to scratch without some super human short game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think he really was a 3 at some point, and now is roughly a 5. That's still a pretty good golfer in my mind. He just lacks oomph to get the distances and flights he needs to get to scratch without some super human short game.

I do not think he was really ever a 3.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I do not think he was really ever a 3.

Possibly. . .it's really hard for me to say, because my game is completely the opposite of his. When I get to the point where my short game is reasonable, I might state the same thing as you.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Possibly. . .it's really hard for me to say, because my game is completely the opposite of his. When I get to the point where my short game is reasonable, I might state the same thing as you.

What do you mean by opposite? Are you saying his strengths are your weaknesses and vice versa? I'm with @Phil McGleno in that he really was never a legit 3, though I see him posting a few rounds in the mid to upper 70's you have to realize hardly any of these tracks are much above a 130 slope, I'm gonna say this also that Dan probably rarely ever sees a tight lie around a green being from the Portland area where courses are usually lush also mostly all the courses I have seen videos of him play on have flat greens with bunkers you could putt out of, a 5 or even higher could get hot a few times and easily shoot right around par on tracks like that and drop his index way lower than where he would normally be. Dan's assertion of having a short game like a plus index is absurd because he's not playing any of his short game shots from where a plus index player would put them from say 200 yards or any other challenging approach distance, using stats to determine your short game when your long game is all over the course makes no sense a plus index will undoubtedly have more birdie putts and a good percentage will be from a good distance versus Dan completely missing the green but happens to hit a good chip and do no worse than 2 putt the plus index may 3 putt from 40' Does this mean Dans a better putter than the plus index player? Absolutely not it just shows Dan's long game is inferior but he leaves himself with a short chip on, when you have a high percentage of chips to greens versus 150 yard approaches to greens then it's obvious a 5 or higher index will probably get it closer to the pin than even a plus player from 150 yards and likely have lower putts per round.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!