IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's superficial.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread is confusing to me. I can not for the life if me figure out why people would be so negative about the "10,000 hour experiment".

I certainly have not read everything that Dan has written but I have enjoyed watching from a distance. He found a way to play a lot of golf and through his blogging, speaking and sponsors he has found a way to support his golf. Where is the problem here?

I don't think anyone is actually negative towards the experiment it's the individual and process(es)  that individual has taken to execute the experiment.  Given how he's conducted the experiment, the results will prove little to nothing and it will equate to little more than some guy bilking others out of money and time so he could not work and play golf.

Joe Paradiso

This thread is confusing to me. I can not for the life if me figure out why people would be so negative about the "10,000 hour experiment".

I certainly have not read everything that Dan has written but I have enjoyed watching from a distance. He found a way to play a lot of golf and through his blogging, speaking and sponsors he has found a way to support his golf. Where is the problem here?

That's not his "mission statement" in his blog. It doesn't read the purpose of this endeavor is for you Joe Q Public to support my full time golf career and while you read about it. It's about using deliberate practice to try and get on the PGA tour. Everyone reads past the first part and it's become more a vicarious thrill for onlookers, nothing to do with deliberate practice. There's exponentially more material on deliberate practice in this site than his. And some of his deliberate practice methods, putting only for months on end, is questionable.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This thread is confusing to me. I can not for the life if me figure out why people would be so negative about the "10,000 hour experiment". I certainly have not read everything that Dan has written but I have enjoyed watching from a distance. He found a way to play a lot of golf and through his blogging, speaking and sponsors he has found a way to support his golf. Where is the problem here?

First I would like to welcome you to TST. There are always going to be positive and negative comments on any blog. We're voicing our opinions. As for Dan, he stated that he will make it to the PGA tour with just 10,000 hours of training. Opinions ranged from "way to go" all the way down to "not a chance you can do it". Many of the people with the "way to go" answers in the beginning are now changing to "probaly not" to "no way you can do it" I think it's bad for REAL aspiring pros that he marketed his way into getting donations from many supporters, because it seriously detracts from their their good golfing skills and possible sponsorships. The average person knows nothing about golf, and for him to say he can make the most prestigious tour with only 10,000 hours is saying that all these talented golfers have no extra skills to separate them from anyone else. My feeling is that he has milked this beyond what is reasonable, and will make it more difficult for many truly talented golfers from getting sponsors outside of the golfing world.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This thread is confusing to me. I can not for the life if me figure out why people would be so negative about the "10,000 hour experiment". I certainly have not read everything that Dan has written but I have enjoyed watching from a distance. He found a way to play a lot of golf and through his blogging, speaking and sponsors he has found a way to support his golf. Where is the problem here?

Hmmmm, so you've read this thread but you haven't really read much of what Dan has written (except from a distance), and you can't for the life of you see a reason for negativity. Id suggest reading his blog more and assess for yourself if his goal is reasonable, if it will be reached, if he is going about his goal in an effective manner, if he is conveying to us readers what he's discovering about deliberate practice. Then let us know if you see reason for positivity. I think there was hope and optimism from many at the beginning. The pessimists at the start are looking wiser however. Over time, the items I listed above have sunk in and things have tended toward negativity. Can you honestly say the project is going positively? Are you learning much from it?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Hmmmm, so you've read this thread but you haven't really read much of what Dan has written (except from a distance), and you can't for the life of you see a reason for

I have read quite a bit. I did not find the experiment until maybe a year ago and I skimmed through his blog up until that point. Since then I have followed him on twitter and read most of his posts. I certainly agree that he along with many people on here (certainly including me) does not always do the right thing for his golf game. But I don't see why that should make me actively root against him. For me, my main takeaway from the project so far is just how much talent the pros have. It's easy for an armature golfer a to think that they have a lot in common with the guys on the tour. When I see Lebron go to the basket for a dunk or clay Mathews rush a qb I would never say "I could do that if I would just practice" but somehow when I watch Kutcher make a great approach shot it's easy to think "Hey I could make that shot." Part of this is because when I see the pro land within 3' of the hole from 100 yards out, I have made that shot... Once. :) If anything the Dan Plan makes me realize how huge the talent gap is between the armature and the pro. Nice thing about golf is that the amature can enjoy the game just as much as the pro. Maybe more because I can knock off the practice session when boredom sets in. Now, if he was being supported by tax money I may have a different take away.

Respectfully,

Unfortunately, the general public would not see it the way you do. He's good at marketing, but that's bad for real aspiring golfers. Btw, pros make much tighter groupings than we do. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have read quite a bit. I did not find the experiment until maybe a year ago and I skimmed through his blog up until that point. Since then I have followed him on twitter and read most of his posts. I certainly agree that he along with many people on here (certainly including me) does not always do the right thing for his golf game. But I don't see why that should make me actively root against him. For me, my main takeaway from the project so far is just how much talent the pros have. It's easy for an armature golfer a to think that they have a lot in common with the guys on the tour. When I see Lebron go to the basket for a dunk or clay Mathews rush a qb I would never say "I could do that if I would just practice" but somehow when I watch Kutcher make a great approach shot it's easy to think "Hey I could make that shot." Part of this is because when I see the pro land within 3' of the hole from 100 yards out, I have made that shot... Once. :) If anything the Dan Plan makes me realize how huge the talent gap is between the armature and the pro. Nice thing about golf is that the amature can enjoy the game just as much as the pro. Maybe more because I can knock off the practice session when boredom sets in. Now, if he was being supported by tax money I may have a different take away.

Totally agree re taxes. Regarding people who actively root against Dan, I don't have a problem with that. Same for people who root for him, although I chuckle now that they must be naive at this point to think he's got a chance. I'm more interested in analyzing the experiment at this point. I don't really care to root for or against. Any negativity on my part is strictly viewing his stated goals, his stated results, and interpreting how he is conveying his journey.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:
Given how he's conducted the experiment, the results will prove little to nothing and it will equate to little more than some guy bilking others out of money and time so he could not work and play golf.

"Bilk" is a ridiculous word to use.  And it seems like he is working pretty hard to me, TBH.  Some people have fun jobs.  He is one of them.

I really don't get the anger, except maybe because of envy.  He is putting out content and he is trying hard.  People who respect that or who find him interesting donate because they want it  to keep going or because they enjoy consuming the content.

Considering he has stuck with it over multiple years, lined up sponsors, and done all of this, I think implying he is lazy "could not work and play golf" is absurd.  You may not like it, you may not think he has a chance (and he has no chance) but if others want to donate to him so he can pursue his dream, all the best to him.

Now, if he was outright lying (for example, saying he shot 66 and is "almost there") that would be "bilking" donations.  But he isn't.

He has no chance of his stated goal.  But he has given it a hard try (which is more than I can say for most about their dreams).  If others want to throw him a little something, what business is it of yours?  He has created a successful business somewhat.

I take my hat completely off to him.  Managed to figure out how to chase his dream.  He may not get his dream, but that's irrelevant.

Please note I don't think he has a chance, at this point on this trajectory, to make the tour.  However, I don't think he is a bad guy or doing something wrong and I'm struggling to see how anyone could reach that conclusion.

"Bilk" is a ridiculous word to use.  And it seems like he is working pretty hard to me, TBH.  Some people have fun jobs.  He is one of them.

I really don't get the anger, except maybe because of envy.  He is putting out content and he is trying hard.  People who respect that or who find him interesting donate because they want it  to keep going or because they enjoy consuming the content.

Considering he has stuck with it over multiple years, lined up sponsors, and done all of this, I think implying he is lazy "could not work and play golf" is absurd.  You may not like it, you may not think he has a chance (and he has no chance) but if others want to donate to him so he can pursue his dream, all the best to him.

Now, if he was outright lying (for example, saying he shot 66 and is "almost there") that would be "bilking" donations.  But he isn't.

He has no chance of his stated goal.  But he has given it a hard try (which is more than I can say for most about their dreams).  If others want to throw him a little something, what business is it of yours?  He has created a successful business somewhat.

I take my hat completely off to him.  Managed to figure out how to chase his dream.  He may not get his dream, but that's irrelevant.

Please note I don't think he has a chance, at this point on this trajectory, to make the tour.  However, I don't think he is a bad guy or doing something wrong and I'm struggling to see how anyone could reach that conclusion.

By reading his blog and mapping his score entries many on here have noticed he has not posted all of his rounds, also and probably even more telling is Dans "Anti" cap, his has an unusually large disparity compared to golfers in all handicap ranges, that is probably the strongest evidence of him manipulating his handicap to keep interest up.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:
By reading his blog and mapping his score entries many on here have noticed he has not posted all of his rounds, also and probably even more telling is Dans "Anti" cap, his has an unusually large disparity compared to golfers in all handicap ranges, that is probably the strongest evidence of him manipulating his handicap to keep interest up.

Maybe, who knows.  But to say the guy is "bilking" people out of money is ridiculous.

Maybe, who knows.  But to say the guy is "bilking" people out of money is ridiculous.

You said yourself it was bilking people out of their money if he was outright lying, and we showed you he was. I'll look a couple things up and post the probability of a 2.6 handicap shooting 3 or 4 rounds in the 80's (his tournament scores) in a row to show you how blatant it is that he has is lying about his handicap.

Quote:
You said yourself it was bilking people out of their money if he was outright lying, and we showed you he was. I'll look a couple things up and post the probability of a 2.6 handicap shooting 3 or 4 rounds in the 80's (his tournament scores) in a row to show you how blatant it is that he has is lying about his handicap.

You didn't "show" me anything.  One previous poster suggested he might not turn all his rounds in, and you have promised something in the future which you may or may not post later.

If you show me that this is a deliberate fraud (as you suggest, above), I'll agree with "bilk".

Until then, its people paying somebody something for generating a ton of content.

"Bilk" is a ridiculous word to use.  And it seems like he is working pretty hard to me, TBH.  Some people have fun jobs.  He is one of them. I really don't get the anger, except maybe because of envy.  He is putting out content and he is trying hard.  People who respect that or who find him interesting donate because they want it  to keep going or because they enjoy consuming the content. Considering he has stuck with it over multiple years, lined up sponsors, and done all of this, I think implying he is lazy "could not work and play golf" is absurd.  You may not like it, you may not think he has a chance (and he has no chance) but if others want to donate to him so he can pursue his dream, all the best to him. Now, if he was outright lying (for example, saying he shot 66 and is "almost there") that would be "bilking" donations.  But he isn't. He has no chance of his stated goal.  But he has given it a hard try (which is more than I can say for most about their dreams).  If others want to throw him a little something, what business is it of yours?  He has created a successful business somewhat. I take my hat completely off to him.  Managed to figure out how to chase his dream.  He may not get his dream, but that's irrelevant. Please note I don't think he has a chance, at this point on this trajectory, to make the tour.  However, I don't think he is a bad guy or doing something wrong and I'm struggling to see how anyone could reach that conclusion.

This is what I was trying to say. Envy is a suit that seldom fits well.

Respectfully,

The people that were dumb enough to donate money weren't going to hold onto that money very long anyway. "A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late." (Thomas Tusser 1557)

• Administrator

This is what I was trying to say. Envy is a suit that seldom fits well.

I'm not envious.

I find the whole thing disappointing, and sad.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's his chance to meet @Shorty

Or maybe . ???

You can just imagine the opening to the story on SBS Insight:

"Well, if you've ever considered quitting your day job to compete on one of the world's biggest sporting stages against the likes of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy, you're about to meet someone who's done that.

Meet Dan McLaughlin blah blah blah.......down to a  scratch handicap after only two years, something most golfers can only imagine.........so  and so says he's not only got the game but also the mental fortitude to mix it with the game's great...etc. etc.

I'm almost sick just thinking about it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You can just imagine the opening to the story on SBS Insight:

"Well, if you've ever considered quitting your day job to compete on one of the world's biggest sporting stages against the likes of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy, you're about to meet someone who's done that.

Meet Dan McLaughlin blah blah blah.......down to a  scratch handicap after only two years, something most golfers can only imagine.........so  and so says he's not only got the game but also the mental fortitude to mix it with the game's great...etc. etc.

I'm almost sick just thinking about it.

Only "almost"? :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!