IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone know what's the median ss on the PGA Tour? I'm guessing it's less than the average/mean.

Ok, a very quick calc, could be wrong. Median is 300 yards. -ish. That's around 108?

I think 112 as a min is a little high. But what the hell do I know? 105-ish, a little more, on a controlled swing should be fine if you asked me.

For a scratch golfer, maybe.

The pros make a living doing this. I'm guessing the median is higher than the 112 average, because 274 yards is their average carry distance.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a scratch golfer, maybe.

The pros make a living doing this. I'm guessing the median is higher than the 112 average, because 274 yards is their average carry distance.

Median is about 113.5.  Highest average belongs to Bubba Watson - 123.7, Tim Clark has the slowest, 103.48

Joe Paradiso

Median is about 113.5.  Highest average belongs to Bubba Watson - 123.7, Tim Clark has the slowest, 103.48

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.html

Loaded into excel spreadsheet, deleted line 11 (advertising line)

average= 113.4935

median= 113.49

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

OK, I see, I have access to a desktop now. Median is 113. I stand corrected.

Better start doing some more sit-ups. As I get older, I'd much rather read and do things more brain oriented than physical work. And I'd much rather run/bike/swim than do anything weight bearing. Soooo boring. :-P Zzzzzzz.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Anyone know what's the median ss on the PGA Tour? I'm guessing it's less than the average/mean.

Ok, a very quick calc, could be wrong. Median is 300 yards. -ish. That's around 108?

I think 112 as a min is a little high. But what the hell do I know? 105-ish, a little more, on a controlled swing should be fine if you asked me.

Yeah, just look at #88/89 or so. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.2014.html

And I'd look at last year as this year has a very small sample size.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, just look at #88/89 or so. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.2014.html

And I'd look at last year as this year has a very small sample size.

That's exactly what I did.

Joe Paradiso

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1890_30#post_1068108"]   Yeah, just look at #88/89 or so. [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.2014.html]http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.2014.html[/URL] And I'd look at last year as this year has a very small sample size. [/QUOTE] That's exactly what I did.

Me three. But the mobile website I saw Spencer/Spenser Levin around there. The desktop website he's ranked much lower. I also was distracted at the time and the mobile website rendered funny.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

average= 113.4935

median= 113.49

Almost cut and pasted this data into the logic code I was synthesizing, because the phone rang at the same time I was blogging and writing code. That would have been an interesting build. :offtopic:

In any case, it is clear that Dan does not swing anywhere near this fast with a swing he can repeat 14 times a day under pressure.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Who knows. I'm gonna take a Dan Plan sabbatical. :-) All this speculating isn't healthy for me. :-( Wake me up in 4,234 hours.

Steve

Who knows. I'm gonna take a Dan Plan sabbatical. All this speculating isn't healthy for me. Wake me up in 4,234 hours.

Should we tell you even if he doesn't finish? ;-)

You can unsubscribe from this thread, but you can never leave it. . . :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Who knows. I'm gonna take a Dan Plan sabbatical. All this speculating isn't healthy for me. Wake me up in 4,234 hours.

Oh bah.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

average= 113.4935

median= 113.49

For 2013 stats of top 180 scorers I got:

Average = 113.61

Median = 113.65

60th %ile = 112.37

Kevin

For 2013 stats of top 180 scorers I got:

Average = 113.61

Median = 113.65

60th %ile = 112.37

So, the median is higher. . .joking. . .

Interesting fact.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have less fat mass.

Or bigger like Jason Zuback?

You don't need any $$$ to do isometrics and pilates core strength exercises. You can build a lot of mass just doing pullups and pushups. No idea if they will do any good for golf, though.

Enhanced lat strength & shoulder stability would probably be a plus. Add some horizontal pull-ups or bent-over rows too for small back muscles.

Probably the best combo for golf power with free weights would be high rep clean & jerk with the 50 lb bar or low weight.

For machines cross-body cable pulls for core rotation muscles may be good.

Kevin

Nope. It's just a ratio. You can catch a driver just toward the toe and get to 1.51 too sometimes (since they measure clubhead speed at the center of the "blob" of the clubhead). Mis-hit an iron and you can get above 1.5.

Of course. Again, it's just a ratio.

As it relates to this thread it's highly unlikely Dan swung faster than PGA Tour average OR had a higher smash factor. They're not mis-hitting it. He might have been, but it's unlikely he was counting those as good results and getting that much higher a smash factor than PGA Tour pros.

With identical swing speeds… that wasn't there before IIRC.

If you swing 100 with a 4-iron it's gonna generate more spin than if you swing 90 with a 4-iron given the same contact, etc. The smash factors will be awfully close to the same.

If the spin lofts (same club, same AoA, centeredness of contact, etc. too) are the same, the higher clubhead speed = more ball speed and more spin. Same smash factor.

The velocity of the clubhead in three dimensions. The instantaneous linear velocity. Ball and club. Same for FlightScope.

Irrelevant. It's not measured horizontally.

Okay, vectors.

How does the higher smash factor come from a toe hit, or a thin shot? Higher ball speed from poor contact is counter-intuitive, but I do notice my thin shots often go 10 yards further at about 2 feet off the ground.

Kevin

You know, with all the good suggestions spread over these hundred pages or so we potentially have enough material for a " What Dan should have planned plan ".

I nominate @nevets88 to start that thread. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

How does the higher smash factor come from a toe hit, or a thin shot? Higher ball speed from poor contact is counter-intuitive, but I do notice my thin shots often go 10 yards further at about 2 feet off the ground.

Not the point of this thread, so quickly…

1) Toe shots: toe is moving faster due to "closing" of clubface than the COM.

2) Thin shots: take a wedge, for example: when you blade it, more energy is transferred to the ball because the the blow is less glancing. If you hit a wedge on the center of the face you might be delivering a 35° glancing blow or more.

You know, with all the good suggestions spread over these hundred pages or so we potentially have enough material for a "What Dan should have planned plan".

I nominate @nevets88 to start that thread.

Or we could call it Dan Plan 2.0 and nominate someone to do it, if anyone was willing.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!