IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/27/2016 at 9:39 AM, Lihu said:

The issue with the theory that Dan invented is that he lacks talent.

I disagree, I think he is a quitter. He lacks an interest in golf. His blog is marketing this "plan" but he is there saying he can only play once per week... like the rest of us. Then he goes on a back injury and does not return to blogging. Ok to check out of golf with injury, I suppose, but I have never heard of a professional blogger going out with injury. Ultimately unethical to quit blogging and just let it trail off.

So Dan's back may be injured, but when look at Stacy Lewis, you see she has overcome much more serious issues with her back and achieved what she has because she has the willpower and desire to accomplish things in golf.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ladders11 said:

I disagree, I think he is a quitter. He lacks an interest in golf. His blog is marketing this "plan" but he is there saying he can only play once per week... like the rest of us. Then he goes on a back injury and does not return to blogging. Ok to check out of golf with injury, I suppose, but I have never heard of a professional blogger going out with injury. Ultimately unethical to quit blogging and just let it trail off.

So Dan's back may be injured, but when look at Stacy Lewis, you see she has overcome much more serious issues with her back and achieved what she has because she has the willpower and desire to accomplish things in golf.

Yeah, he ruffled quit a few feathers not doing a post mortem to his subscribers and donors.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's say 50 "average" athletically skilled guys did this with 365 days of perfect weather, the best pros, great practice facilities and they were diligent, smart, result oriented workers and they ranged from a 0-3 handicap after 10K hours. That's still disconcerting. That's a lot of hard work and resources. The takeaway is still...

Golf

Is

Hard.

Now if some did this in 1/2 the time, 5K hours or even less, that's impressive, maybe that might be proof that working with teachers who really know what they're doing makes a vast chasm of difference.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Now if some did this in 1/2 the time, 5K hours or even less, that's impressive.

And that would be indicative of their relative talent level.

Kevin

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Let's say 50 "average" athletically skilled guys did this with 365 days of perfect weather, the best pros, great practice facilities and they were diligent, smart, result oriented workers and they ranged from a 0-3 handicap after 10K hours. That's still disconcerting. That's a lot of hard work and resources. The takeaway is still...

Golf

Is

Hard.

Now if some did this in 1/2 the time, 5K hours or even less, that's impressive, maybe that might be proof that working with teachers who really know what they're doing makes a vast chasm of difference.

Even more impressive would be it a bunch of people signed onto a site like this one and got a lot of free advice or inexpensive Evolr instruction and got to their potential. . .Oh, yeah, there are many golfers on this site who are approaching that 0-3 HC range with possibly less hours without the high expense. :-)

Those of us that can never make -03HC range could still feel good about just reaching our potential. Even though we might never sniff 0-3 it still feels good getting as good as we can get. :-):-)

Golf is hard, but Golf is also fun for those that don't feel like their not losing much or anything from their current potential.

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

And that would be indicative of their relative talent level.

Or that good instruction can help those who have a modicum of talent get to amateur "expert" level?

Overall, I think the Dan Plan was successful for Dan in that he got a lot of doors opened that were closed to him prior to attempting to do this feat. I feel bad that he didn't take the offer made to him about going to Erie to train for a full summer, and didn't wrap up this plan with a realistic answer especially to those who believed in him.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, ladders11 said:

I believe Dan injured his back but I don't think that was the reason the plan died, money was.  Beyond us and some people following his blog no one was sponsoring Dan and interest was waning even before his injury.  The injury prevented him from playing golf but he could have continued to blog if he had real intentions to keep the plan going.  

Dan proved he not only lacked the talent but also the stamina required complete his own plan and become a PGA Tour pro.  I'd never pick a guy like that to become a business partner with no matter how "talented" his palette is.  

Joe Paradiso

Just deactivate the Twitter account and take the blog offline. You want three bullets to the gut, bleed out slowly or one to the head and end it quickly?

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 2.47.05 PM.png?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Just deactivate the Twitter account and take the blog offline. You want three bullets to the gut, bleed out slowly or one to the head and end it quickly?

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 2.47.05 PM.png?

Reply to them and send them to the article on the blog:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/post_mortem_on_the_dan_plan

:-D

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Reply to them and send them to the article on the blog:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/post_mortem_on_the_dan_plan

:-D

I'm not gonna do his "job" for him. :-P

I'm not in PR, but isn't controlling the message by putting it out before everyone else one of its principles? By not getting out in front, he's letting people write their version of his story. Politics/media 101. Probably doesn't care.

Steve

50 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm not in PR, but isn't controlling the message by putting it out before everyone else one of its principles? By not getting out in front, he's letting people write their version of his story. Politics/media 101. Probably doesn't care.

Seems pretty obvious Dan has moved on and doesn't seem to care about the plan or those who followed him.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
On May 31, 2016 at 6:32 PM, nevets88 said:

Could you instead do your job promoting TST, then? ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If given the chance as a young man, with proper instruction, proper equipment, proper practice facilities, I would never be a pro golfer.  I don't have the required athletic ability, hand eye coordination and most importantly, I don't have the self discipline nor the heart of a champion.  Very few pga tour golfers come from poverty.  Tony Finau  and V J Sing come to mind.

Edited by Lastpick

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Could you instead do your job promoting TST, then? ;-)

Tweeted. Let's see what happens. Probably nothing.

Steve

Translation anyone?

image.jpeg

Steve

On June 2, 2016 at 5:43 AM, nevets88 said:

Tweeted. Let's see what happens. Probably nothing.

Did anything happen?

Michael

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Translation anyone?

image.jpeg

Thats Dutch :-)

Not really interesting: sciencer Ericsson is not happy with the way his research is used by Dan. According to above item, Dan will reach his 10.000 hours december this year, which is incorrect as we know.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

Did anything happen?

No tweet replies. Radio silence. 

Steve

What did Dan get out of this?

What did we get out of this?

***if it inspires even one person to quit their day job and find happiness in their own plan, then the Dan Plan is a success.***

Should anyone quit their day job?  Was this even a success?  He didn't reach his goals (shocker) but the lack of updating is atrocious.  Close to fraudulent for those that donated based on his story.  Did he stop playing or stop posting?  If he is injured, it is ok to say you are injured.  

Perhaps he just doesn't like golf and is not even trying to get through his injury.  It is ironic that he is advocating quitting a day job to find their own passion when he never had any clue about professional golf.  Before you quit your day job, you should know what you are getting yourself into at a minimum.  There are many jobs where you just can't go back into if the "dream" plan doesn't work out.  You just lost years of experience.

And the majority of us have day jobs because we have financial obligations.  Dan doesn't have a wife or kids.  He is responsible only to himself. 

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!