IGNORED

Tiger's injury a ruse??

Ron
Note: This thread is 4661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by ThominOH

I call it "sucking it up cupcake".. or "man up" instead of using a lame excuse to run away..  Wasn't his going back to Buddha suppose to mean "stop with the deceptions".. I haven't seen any change in that guy since Turkey Day, just more spin.. What is worse is the number of people that buy all the BS (media included)..

edit: I would have more respect for him if he was just honest saying, "I sucked today, and in no mood to post a bad score, so I withdrew"..

You're assuming he wasn't injured. Tiger can shoot some pretty lousy scores and still doesn't WD.

If he had withdrawn and said what you think he should have said, you might have been on here talking about how he's "lying about being over his injury."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is that what Ogilvy or Clark should have done too or are you just singling Tiger out?

I call it "sucking it up cupcake".. or "man up" instead of using a lame excuse to run away..  Wasn't his going back to Buddha suppose to mean "stop with the deceptions".. I haven't seen any change in that guy since Turkey Day, just more spin.. What is worse is the number of people that buy all the BS (media included)..

edit: I would have more respect for him if he was just honest saying, "I sucked today, and in no mood to post a bad score, so I withdrew"..

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Is that what Ogilvy or Clark should have done too or are you just singling Tiger out?

BIG difference is that Ogilvy and Clark finished their round like a man, and it counts against their stats.. Tiger avoided that by bailing after 9.. Well done Mr reformed Buddha man..

• Administrator

BIG difference is that Ogilvy and Clark finished their round like a man, and it counts against their stats.. Tiger avoided that by bailing after 9.. Well done Mr reformed Buddha man..

Your entire view is colored by the fact that you don't seem to think he was injured.

Luke Donald withdrew from a U.S. Open (at Torrey Pines IIRC) mid-round because he was injured. Should he have finished too?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've had five knee operations on my right knee alone.  My cartilage is like a head of shredded lettuce.  It basically hurts ALL the time, and a misstep at the wrong time, at any time, will send a shooting rocket of pain straight through it and I'll nearly buckle.  It makes crunching noises audible to other people, and really can't take ANY kind of impact activity of any sort (running, basketball, etc..., will lay me up for a day or two).

And through all of that, all of the time, it is LESS painful for me to go up a set of stairs two at a time compared to one at a time.  That's a fact.

Can we all please stop making up reasons to like Tiger less, just because he couldn't keep it in his pants?  It's like everything about him is now colored with that brush.  Before, he didn't open up to the media, now he "snubs" them.  Before he was quiet and focused and determined, now he's "withdrawn," "selfish" and "rude."  Who cares.

• Upvote 3

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Stats? Are you seriously suggesting that Tiger WD'd in the middle of a round to avoid bad stats? Where have you been the last 15 years? Tiger cares about one thing, that is winning.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

This guy should work for the tabloids with guesstimates like this.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Ron

Talk is now that he just quit because he was "Stinkin Up" the place.  He was observed taking two steps at a time into the scorer's room, and easily walking to and getting into his car.  I said it on another forum on that infamous "Turkey Day", C'est Fini.  I believed it then, I believe it now!

So because he could walk, he was fine?  I'm glad these gossip artists aren't my doctor.  Apparently people are taking the Jay Cutler speculation approach now: as long as he could walk and didn't appear to be in tremendous pain, he surely must have been able to put tremendous pressure on his lead golf leg during a golf swing, right?

Do people realize that you can have a torn MCL and casually walk regularly?  Hell, my brother currently has a completely torn ACL, and he can walk fine and put together a reasonable practice golf swing.  That does NOT mean he is okay to perform at an optimal level in competitive play.

Yeah, Tiger's injury was a ruse.  So were Ogilvy and Clark's (/sarcasm).

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I played pretty high level baseball (Jr Blue Jays, Connie Mack, Summer League, NCAA DIV 1 baseball, minor leagues) and severely strained my rotator cuff playing as a pitcher...I finished playing 7 years ago (29 now).  5 years ago, I joined a slow pitch league...the first 4 seasons were great, I had a ton of fun and played center field.  After the 4th year, I had to stop playing due to severe pain from throwing with my rotator cuff strain that never got fixed or healed after all these years.  The funny thing is though, I kept playing golf...being that I was one of the good players on the team, they all thought I "quit" after seeing that I still played golf...All I heard was "how can you still play golf with a bad shoulder?  Are you too good for us?"  This angered me.  Why?  Well because swinging a golf club is an entirely different arm motion than throwing a ball overhand.  I have obsolutely no pain swinging a driver at 115mph but am in excruciating pain throwing a ball overhand.

The point in all of this is, while Tiger may have walked into his "Mercedes" looking fine, that has NOTHING to do with swinging and torquing around a left knee with your metal spiked shoes spiked into the ground with no give...also while playing against the best players in the world.  He knew he didn't have it with his knee and whatever else hurting that day.  So why continue and risk further injury?  Who benefits from that?  What we all have to remember or what everyone has surprisingly forgottenis that Tiger is paid HUGE by all his sponsors.  Doing anything stupid at this point at the age of 35 to risk his career can cost him millions. (many argu that his body is more like 45 with all the tournaments he's played over the years) .  So withdrawing when "it just didn't feel right" was the absolute BEST thing for him to do.

Did his doctors clear him to play, yes.  Did they also tell him, "if you feel something wrong, don't play through it and withdraw immediately?"  You better believe it!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Taking the steps two at a time was posted by Michael Bamberger of Sports Illustrated:

"It is very hard to separate fact from fiction with Tiger Woods. Explaining his withdrawal, Woods said, "The knee acted up and then the Achilles followed after that, and then the calf started cramping up. Everything started getting tight, so it's just a whole chain reaction." But when he climbed a small set of steps en route to his waiting white Mercedes sedan, he took them by two."

Not getting into the whys or wherefores of Tiger's withdrawal, but if my knee was hurting, I had chunked a couple wedges, shot a 42 and plain embarrassed myself, I probably would have considered withdrawing, too.  What purpose would have been served to post an 80 (or worse).

I'll preface this with stating that I am NOT trying to be a doctor or pretend I know everything about Tiger's injury.  However, I've played years of college football, been through 2 knee injuries (ACL, Meniscus & Patellar Tendon), been around trainers and rehab facilities for 12+ years, and am 2 months removed from arthroscopic knee surgery and currently going through physical therapy for my knee.

What I can say is that through talking with my doctor and therapist, I know that the MCL injury is NOT a weight-bearing injury (as opposed to a meniscus injury, which is).  In other words, MCL (and ACL) injuries should allow for normal walking as long as initial pain, inflammation and swelling has subsided.  But, when performing high impact activity (full golf swing included), stability and pain is an issue, especially for lateral movements.  Therefore, it's very possible that a person with an MCL injury could not comfortably perform a full swing without pain, but would be able to walk flights of steps without pain.  I don't know that that is Tiger's case, but using that video as evidence of his faking is plainly irresponsible.

Brandon

If the perceived difference is so BIG, why is it completely false?

At least according to CBSSports.com, Clark & Ogilvy both WD midway through the 2nd round (Ogilvy played 9 holes, Clark played 10). http://www.cbssports.com/golf/leaderboard

Wait, don't tell me... let me guess.  They're more manly than Tiger because they at least finished 1 full round before withdrawing? ;)

Brandon

Ya'll can cover for him if you want.. Your opinion is based on Tiger being honest.. Mine is based on Tiger not being honest.. I have no reason to believe him.. NEXT.. :)  Just like I don't believe he paid to have a un-licenced doctor from Canada to spin his blood after surgery.. Same doctor that juiced up A. Rod of the Yankees.. LOL

Your "opinion" is based on speculation, rumor and subjective interpretation of intangible elements (like attitude and integrity).  Some others are basing their opinion on anecdotal facts (what they could do with a knee injury), logic and reason.

In other words, one shouldn't have to assume Tiger is honest or dishonest in order to objectively look at the situation and make a reasonable conclusion.  Making assumptions based on integrity in order to assess the situation is simply a way to rationalize your viewpoint based on your predisposed view of him.

Brandon

We get it, you don't like Tiger Woods.  Unless you have facts to back up your accusations there isn't much more to discuss, you made your point.

Ya'll can cover for him if you want.. Your opinion is based on Tiger being honest.. Mine is based on Tiger not being honest.. I have no reason to believe him.. NEXT.. :)  Just like I don't believe he paid to have a un-licenced doctor from Canada to spin his blood after surgery.. Same doctor that juiced up A. Rod of the Yankees.. LOL

Joe Paradiso

The PGA will have to deal with his withdrawing.  He has been fined more than most realize for language and other behaviors.   This is all just too much soap opera drama.

I don't think he can win consistently until he plays regularly and gets the competative edge.  Could the world' best professional bowler skip 3 months and go in an expect to win?  Could Phelps do it in swimming?  Could a BB player take 3 months off and go in and expect to be 4X4 be first time back?

I think he walked to the car with a slight limp.  have had surgey 3 times on knees and have had a strained achilles.  I still limp

Golf is a game where you are as good as your next shot.  The tournaments that you have won in the past don't help you with your next shot.

Tiget may never win again or he may break Jack's record but he's got to work on his game under the pressure of cpmpetative play, not in the back yard.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Originally Posted by bigoak

The PGA will have to deal with his withdrawing.  He has been fined more than most realize for language and other behaviors.

What do you mean they have to deal with his withdrawing? The PGA Tour can't fine him for WDing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!