IGNORED

Tiger skipping the US Open

Golden
Note: This thread is 4705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Varsity_Golf

Why?  I think it's good that Tiger won't be in the field.  I'm not bashing Tiger, but It'll be a "Different experience."

Just because I like watching him play mainly

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

he wont be missed

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Can anyone name a golfer who came back from knee surgery to be his former self?

Tiger in 2008? Won a 91-hole U.S. Open despite injuring it worse in the time he took off from Augusta to the Open.

Tiger in 2009? After taking 8+ months off, he won, what, six times or something on the PGA Tour?

Plus, this one isn't surgery.

In 2008 he took off from Augusta to June, then knew he was taking eight months off AND knew that he couldn't really further injure himself. That situation is both worse and different than this one. This is a less severe injury, but one to which he can cause further damage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How many times can you injure your knee before it really becomes an issue?  It seems that it is becoming an issue. Tiger playing like Tiger seems to only aggravate the condition. He needs to stay out of competition until it is fully healed before he attempts a comeback of any kind. I can see him really scaling back to majors and big events only in the near future. As far as this year's US Open goes, I will still watch with as much interest as ever before.  US Open golf is one-of-a-kind, just like the Open and the Master's. You can keep the PGA.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Can anyone name a golfer who came back from knee surgery to be his former self? Not Ernie Els or Brad Faxon, to give recent examples. Throw in the Achilles tendon injury and it doesn't look like a bright future for Woods.

Els and Faxon haven't won 14 majors. I'm not saying Tiger will ever be his old dominant self again, but if anyone could do it, it would be Tiger Wood.

Why?  I think it's good that Tiger won't be in the field.  I'm not bashing Tiger, but It'll be a "Different experience."

Eh. I'll always take having the top players in the field against not. Always more interesting that way.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm wondering how long Tiger is going to stay on the sidelines this time. He says he wants to be ready for the AT&T; National on Fourth of July weekend, but I think he may miss the British Open, either. My prediction is we won't see Tiger on the course again until Firestone in August, if at all in 2011.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

We've been experiencing that difference a lot over the past two years.  It would be nice to have him back to form.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The golf channel said that everyone has agreed (players, fan, sportswriters) that it is "The smartest decision Tiger has made in a long time". As patronizing as the statement sounds, I have to agree on a few different levels, especially as it relates to possible playing longevity.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's a wise move on his part. Allow yourself to fully recover physically, make sure the swing changes you made with Foley have become automatic and then make one final push torwards breaking Jack's record.  To continue to limp along and play at a rather pedestrian pace, hoping to catch lighting in a bottle is not the way to go. However, to me, when he does come back, it will be his putter that determines whether he finally does it.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

It's nice to know that some people on here are saying 'he won't be missed' about a person that changed the face of golf. We are all lucky to have him and him playing can only be a good thing.

Originally Posted by deasy55

It's nice to know that some people on here are saying 'he won't be missed' about a person that changed the face of golf. We are all lucky to have him and him playing can only be a good thing.

I'm pretty sure I won't miss him, but that's easy to say before the event. If it's a snoozefest, even people who enjoy cheering against him will be missing that part of the event. Tiger might be done and he might come back next year as strong as ever, but while he's on the sidelines there's a kind of hollow feeling to all the OWGR #1 rankings and major count discussions. When the best player of any generation starts to fight age and injuries, it can make even the anti-Tiger fans feel older and closer to death.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

We've seen a lot of great golf without Tiger this last year, so I don't worry it won't be interesting.  That being said, I think everyone watched Sunday at the Masters on the edge of their seats.  Even seemingly out of contention he still brings a ton of excitement to the game.

I've said many times that Tiger winning the 2008 U.S. Open is the greatest achievement in sports history.  It also may have been his last hurrah, because we really don't know what he sacrificed to pull it off.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

We've seen a lot of great golf without Tiger this last year, so I don't worry it won't be interesting.  That being said, I think everyone watched Sunday at the Masters on the edge of their seats.  Even seemingly out of contention he still brings a ton of excitement to the game.

You're on the money there - I smiled when those last couple putts missed the cup, but I was still glued to the set.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think it's more of an issue of him turning 36 (pertaining to his body) this December than anything else.  The clock is ticking now.  It wasn't in 2008, or seemingly not like today.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I have tickets to the US Open and while I'm still looking forward to attending in person for the 1st time, I have to admit that Tiger's absence dampens the excitement for me a little.

Note: This thread is 4705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!