IGNORED

Drives going straight, then curving right.

Note: This thread is 2609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

straight slice - sorry, that's what it's called :-D

at contact the:

- face is square to target

- path is outside in

and yes - they always appear like that

close the face a little bit and they might cancel each other out to a nice little pull-fade (very nice shot shape)

or work on path and try to swing toward 1st base just a bit more to straighten the curve out (or lessen it to something you can count on)

for any slice or hook, it always looks like a lot of stuff is happening at the very end, some of that is the speed of the ball is slowing and the sideways component of the flight becomes more dominant, but I think it's really just a visual thing - the curve always seems more dramatic at the end because it's the tail end of the curve and it's more sideways to your line of sight

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Sorry - let's say you have a problem called "German Center Spin"  or GCS

I'd recommend you try a couple things to fix this rare issue:

- close the face a little bit and they might cancel each other out to a nice little pull-fade (very nice shot shape)

- or work on path and try to swing toward 1st base just a bit more to straighten the curve out (or lessen it to something you can count on)

B-)

Bill - 

Sorry - let's say you have a problem called "German Center Spin"  or GCS

I'd recommend you try a couple things to fix this rare issue:

- close the face a little bit and they might cancel each other out to a nice little pull-fade (very nice shot shape)

- or work on path and try to swing toward 1st base just a bit more to straighten the curve out (or lessen it to something you can count on)

Looks like that dude was banned years ago. :-)

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Club face open to the path, but not to the target. Does anybody know what that means thank you........ This kid of ball flight will chase you out of the game.   you will then try a 5 wood or a 3 wood. It will  curve to a lesser extent....Ive even used a 4 iron

Club face open to the path, but not to the target. Does anybody know what that means thank you........ This kid of ball flight will chase you out of the game.   you will then try a 5 wood or a 3 wood. It will  curve to a lesser extent....Ive even used a 4 iron

Did you read this?

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Example of open to the path but not open (or right) of the target. Ball will start just left of the target and curve right.

Face: 2 left

Path: 7 left

Most slicers have their face left of the target at impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Harry Vardon was once asked in an old issues of "Golf" magazine: "Every time I hit my two iron it goes about 200 yards and then right at the end it fades about 10 yards to the right.  What should I do.  Vardon: "Turn Pro".

Definitely a slice. I was doing the same thing. The ball is actually going straight off the club face, but with side spin. When the ball slows down, it starts turning right. Fortunately this is not the slice that is the hardest to fix. Your club is more than likely square at impact, which is good, but your club head is moving outside-in through impact. FIX- change your swing path to inside-out.

Ive been working on this to long.. I just don;t get it  thanks for your help anyway...

What part are you having a tough time understanding? Ball starts where the face is pointed and curves away from the path. Does that make sense?

Mike McLoughlin

mvmac Path Good, face open  Fix the face, become more consistent squaring  the face  stops the straight slice... playing from the fairway makes golf more enjoyable. done.

mvmac Path Good, face open  Fix the face, become more consistent squaring  the face  stops the straight slice... playing from the fairway makes golf more enjoyable. done.

With a straight slice (not a push slice), the face is already square.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

IF your ball starts out straight then slices at the end, then your face is square at Impact but the path is out-to-in. Ball starts where the face is pointed (at the target in this case) and curved away from the path (in this case path is to the left so ball curves to the right). You need to either: A) close the face a little so it's aiming left of the target (but not as far left as your path, somewhere in between) to get the ball to start left and curve back right to centre OR B) work on changing the path to inside out which, all else being equal, will turn your straight slice into a straight hook. Once your doing that, set up with the face pointing slightly right of the target so it starts to the right and curves left back to centre. If you go with B, an added bonus is that changing your path to inside out MAY actually get your face pointing a touch rightward as a by-product., but YMMV on that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It's next to impossible for a ball to go 125 yards then realize that it's supposed to go right. You're hitting a straight slice- a shot that starts out straight, then slices right.

I don't know why 2011 @jamo would have worded it like this. :blink:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't know why 2011 @jamo would have worded it like this. :blink:

Ha. 2011 Jamo was conflicted on this one!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ha. 2011 Jamo was conflicted on this one!

"Next to impossible?" ??? :doh:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Sounds to me as previously described, look at ball flight laws, you're hitting a straight slice or straight fade, depending on how much your path is out to in/ over the top, face sounds squarish. 86% (or something like that) of the starting direction (seemingly straight) is face, the remainder is path. The path being out to in then imparts side spin, cutting/slicing/fading it right. Another point, which I don't think has been mentioned: Have a look at the impact position on the face of your driver too(clean it then look at each shot after), you could be hitting it out of the heel this might look like it's starting straight then go right due to gear effect. Also it's physically impossible to start 100% straight then curve at the very, very end. Another tip, get a pro that understands ball flight laws that has a launch monitor that can measure your impact numbers.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Path is the problem, not the face. If the ball starts straight the face is pointing at the target (square). Path is left or across the ball so the ball curves right. BALL STARTS WHERE THE FACE IS POINTED AT IMPACT . So most slicers have a face LEFT of the target at impact and more drawers have a face RIGHT of the target at impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!