IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

28* 5 iron - 185 carry

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I play it as my 190-200 club

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

My 5 iron is my 175 - 180 club - usually not a lot of roll.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Greater than 180 for sure, as I have used it on such lengthy approaches.... however, I couldn't say with consistency how much greater than 180.... hehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Davis love a huge hitter hits his 5 iron 185 yds,the pro/moderator hits his the same,then we have 2 and 3 handicappers stating 175 yds for their 5 iron shots,then we have mid - high handicappers outblasting both love,the pro/moderator and the nigh on scratch golfers........i'd be an idiot to believe that is true

Stock 175. No roll.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by njcl13

Davis love a huge hitter hits his 5 iron 185 yds,the pro/moderator hits his the same,then we have 2 and 3 handicappers stating 175 yds for their 5 iron shots,then we have mid - high handicappers outblasting both love,the pro/moderator and the nigh on scratch golfers........i'd be an idiot to believe that is true

Distance doesn't equal good golf. The abundance of good even great women golfers are proof of that. I play with women that don't hit it far enough to capitalize on the tee advantage that are legit single digit hanicap.

Dave :-)

Maybe in 1990 he did but, not now he hits it farther than that I would say 200ish if not more.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I'd be a little surprised if DLIII only hits his 5-iron ~185. For the record, I allow ~185 for mine in the Summer (say, 20-25°C) over here - certainly what it was traveling last week, all carry. 200+ is getting pretty long but if it's warm, maybe at a bit of altitude and the striker is good, I'd happily believe ~220 or even a bit more.

One of the differences for DLIII and players of his standard is that he can probably hit 20 5-irons in a row, all +/- a couple of yards of each other and not much deviation l-to-r either. What some of those here don't (won't?) say is the fact that maybe they can crank it 200+ on the odd occasion but the next might be 170 followed by 185 etc etc.......and even then, it's a little bit wayward. 200+ but in that nasty lake right of the green isn't that much use really. Neither is that slight mishit fat which splash lands in that hideous front pot bunker a great deal of help...

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Hey man, if I thought only hitting my 5-iron 185 would somehow miraculously turn me into Erik or even DLIII with the flat stick then I'd be working on that right now.

Why are you sitting at 26? Is it hitting your mid-irons too far and not sinking putts or is it a combination of flaws?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by poser

Quote:

Maybe in 1990 he did but, not now he hits it farther than that I would say 200ish if not more.

He probably hit his 5-iron 200+ in 1990 (22 years ago when he was still on tour with a persimmon driver using balata balls).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

golf distance calculator states off their 5 iron shots there averaging 300 yd drives,and one lad is averaging 340 yd {better than bubba watson} drives,i do not wish to continue such futile an argument

golf distance calculator states off their 5 iron shots there averaging 300 yd drives,and one lad is averaging 340 yd {better than bubba watson} drives,i do not wish to continue such futile an argument

Those calculators are only so accurate. What's it say when you plug in that Bubba hits a 9i 190y? His avg drive is around 314y if I'm not mistaken.

Dave :-)

Especially since you entered all sorts of biased info into the calculator.

Originally Posted by Big Don

How far do you hit a 5 iron (carry plus roll)?

I don't know about roll, but assuming no wind or elevation issues, I typically pull my 5i for anything from 176 to 185 ish.  Sometimes 190 if I'm feeling frisky.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!