IGNORED

Tiger and Williams to part ways?

Sing Golfer
Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Stevie's interview never should of happened. I laughed though - blatant quip at his former boss, and that was fine, but when he started going on about him racing and being in front blah blah blah, he should of shut up. Tiger and Stevie are both strange guys - no wonder they worked well together ( but at least one is keeping his trap shut ) Press conference with Scott and Woods will be interesting this week.

My guess is both Adam and Tiger will have PC responses.

Adam: "Steve is valued to his own opinion and he was caught up in the excitement and moment of the game"

Tiger: "I was suprised to hear Steve say that, but he is valued to his own opinion and as I have said many times, I wish him the best of luck with Adam and appreciate everything he did for me"

that is about all you will get from either of them. I bet we also hear little from Steve at the PGA in terms of bashing his old boss, etc.. simply because this weeks media attention and blog "smashing" of him (IMHO) as well as Scott possibly talking to him will keep him tight lipped.

I agree.  People loose their jobs all the time for reasons not directly related to them or their performance.  I can understand frustration, but if Stevie has really "moved on" then he should not feel the need (or otherwise take opportunities) to dig his former employer.  It's certainly within his rights to do so, but I think it makes him seem less professional.  If I'm Adam Scott, I might be wondering what Stevie will say about me when it's time to part ways.

Hell, I'd bet Tiger would have won most of those tournaments with me on the bag.  It's the golfer who wins tournaments through skill and mental toughness.  In my opinion, too much credit is given to contributions by coaches, trainers, psychologists, caddies, etc.

Originally Posted by iacas

Pfffft. Not to your opinion, but to Stevie.

The guy's a caddie. Good for Stevie that his guy made everything he looked at and won for the first time in forever. Last time I checked, as the guy actually hitting the shots, Tiger still has 14 more majors than Stevie and Adam Scott combined.

Clearly Stevie's ticked at Tiger, and thank goodness Adam Scott made a statement on his behalf, but Stevie, dude... you're a caddie. If I were Tiger I'd find you're reaction incredibly amusing, laughable even. You didn't like your job before? Who cares. You're the employee, and you got sacked. Maybe you can call Tiger and Phil pricks in some off-season banquet this year.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by majorchamp

When Steve started talking after the win from Adam, I stood there with my mouth open like "Did you really just say this was the greatest week of your caddying career"? All the majors, Ryder Cups, etc.. with Tiger didn't trump a Bridgestone Win?

It was probably his best week because it's a little bit of redemption after being sacked over the phone.

Maybe not necessarily only because Adam won, but because Tiger sucked.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I agree and have wondered the same thing. All that is happening with Steve's public comments is probably making him less employable for future players. then again, other player might not give a crap if they are winning with Steve on their bag. Who knows. I am sure every caddie knows plenty of "facts and stories" about the players they caddie for, but isn't there somewhat of a bond and trust between a player and caddie you don't expect to go public, whether your together or separate?

As I have mentioned before, I don't know of a single ill comment Tiger has made about Steve in the press, in all their years together. I don't know of a single ill comment Tiger has made about another player. You can hate him personally, but professionally he does carry himself like a gentleman when it comes to his peers, in victory or defeat.

Originally Posted by Topper

I agree.  People loose their jobs all the time for reasons not directly related to them or their performance.  I can understand frustration, but if Stevie has really "moved on" then he should not feel the need (or otherwise take opportunities) to dig his former employer.  It's certainly within his rights to do so, but I think it makes him seem less professional.  If I'm Adam Scott, I might be wondering what Stevie will say about me when it's time to part ways.

Hell, I'd bet Tiger would have won most of those tournaments with me on the bag.  It's the golfer who wins tournaments through skill and mental toughness.  In my opinion, too much credit is given to contributions by coaches, trainers, psychologists, caddies, etc.

Tiger enters these tournaments to win as he says, but realistically he knew he couldn't win given his layoff and act of playing...but I certainly don't think Tiger "sucked" this week given the physical problems and lack of play. here is of players who also "sucked" this week:

Ernier Els (Major winner)

Louis Oosthuizen (Major winer)

Hunter Mahan

Stewart Cink (Major Winner)

Rory Sabbatini

Robert Allenby

Dustin Johnson

Phil Mickelson (Major Winner)

Y.E. Yang (Major Winner)

Sergio Garcia

Sean O'Hair

Darren Clarke (Major Winner)

Graeme McDowell (Major Winner)

Just sayin.

It was probably his best week because it's a little bit of redemption after being sacked over the phone.

I really enjoyed the question "what intangibles do you bring to Adam?" and Steve's response "Well, I have won 145 golf tournaments.....".       Really Steve, you won them?   I guess I just learned something, as all these years I thought the players were the ones who one tournaments and the support staff such as their caddy, coach, swing psychologist, etc. were there to help them reach that potential.   Guess I was wrong.

C'mon Steve, you're a caddie.    Your job is 1/3 pack mule (carrying the bag), 1/3 gardener (raking traps and fixing divots), and 1/3 maid (cleaning the clubs).    You don't win tournaments.

Much has been made about how Steve sat down with Adam and basically demanded a commitment from Adam to work harder if Steve was going to hire Adam, er ah I mean if Adam was going to hire Steve.    I think it's time for Adam to sit down with Steve now and say " OK, you've had your fun and said your opinions.   No more.  Grow up and get over it.   From here on remember you're my employee, and I'm the spokesman for our efforts ."

• Upvote 1

Tiger enters these tournaments to win as he says, but realistically he knew he couldn't win given his layoff and act of playing...but I certainly don't think Tiger "sucked" this week given the physical problems and lack of play. here is of players who also "sucked" this week:

[...]

Hunter Mahan

[...]

Dustin Johnson

[...]

Y.E. Yang (Major Winner)

In all fairness, that's my fault. I picked those three for my fantasy team this week, which is pretty much a death sentence for any player other than Stricker. :-D

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I think Williams is really showing a lack of class, and ignorance about how the world works.  He's taking this personally, which is a childish reaction.  Tiger needs the change, Stevie's fallen into a good gig, it's a very practical direction for the whole thing to take.  His repeated jabs at Tiger are getting old.  I highly doubt Tiger said, "Stevie you suck, it's your fault I can't get back to form, go pound sand."  Even if he did, Stevie should be taking a higher road, simply say, "the time was right to move on, I look forward to continue working with Adam and helping him win as best I can."  Close the book on this thing.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Ernier Els (Major winner)

Louis Oosthuizen (Major winer)

Hunter Mahan

Stewart Cink (Major Winner)

Rory Sabbatini

Robert Allenby

Dustin Johnson

Phil Mickelson (Major Winner)

Y.E. Yang (Major Winner)

Sergio Garcia

Sean O'Hair

Darren Clarke (Major Winner)

Graeme McDowell (Major Winner)

Just sayin.

Whether Tiger has had time off or not, he sucked. He shot over par in a tournament he has dominated. He said his knee is fine, but obviously he couldn't practice of late, but he only shot one round under par. He has had all the time off to work on his putting, yet didn't really putt that great. His irons were surprisingly good considering and his driver was average.

Probably me just expecting too much out of the guy though

I understand and maybe we are all making excuses for him...but I guess I'd would expect the same performance (or worse) from ANY other tour player who had the same physical knee / achillies heel problems. Many people just keep expecting him to come out like a bat out of hell, shooting 20 under, breaking records and showing all of us Tiger is "back" and everyone should be in awe of him, but it's just not realistic. I wrote on my golf blog this morning about this very topic. I truly believe the quality of tour golfers has risen and if you took the Tiger from 2000-2002 and stuck him dead center with today's golfers, I think we would have seem some form of dominance because his performance during those years were God like, but I don't think he would have had as much dominance and even wins against today's players. Maybe Tiger is trying to be humble, but even in interviews in the last handful of years he has been in awe at the younger talent coming through, just like he was about Ryu yesterday. He is very respectful of the younger players in my opinion.

Are any of these young players, like Rory and Ryu AS good or better then Tiger was when he turned pro (regardless of the tournaments Tiger has won), or is the gap in years blurring the line as to what was considered great and what is considered great?

Whether Tiger has had time off or not, he sucked. He shot over par in a tournament he has dominated. He said his knee is fine, but obviously he couldn't practice of late, but he only shot one round under par. He has had all the time off to work on his putting, yet didn't really putt that great. His irons were surprisingly good considering and his driver was average.

Probably me just expecting too much out of the guy though

No need to make excuses for him, I didn't expect him to be Top 15.  Any athlete coming back from an injury is going to show some rust.  The media and some of his fans might have overhyped him, and set unrealistic expectations, but I think most people viewing it objectively expected a sub par performance from him.  I still have doubts he's a 100% but he can't afford to wait until he is, as his endorsement deals are dwindling and he needs to be on the course to keep the ones he has left happy.

Even at less than 100% it was good to see him back and the buzz he can still create at a tourney.

I understand and maybe we are all making excuses for him...but I guess I'd would expect the same performance (or worse) from ANY other tour player who had the same physical knee / achillies heel problems. Many people just keep expecting him to come out like a bat out of hell, shooting 20 under, breaking records and showing all of us Tiger is "back" and everyone should be in awe of him, but it's just not realistic.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ahahahaaa!

wtset.jpg

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I think the overwhelming majority of the public see's Stevie's "best week" comment as an outright lie and a thinly-veiled attempt to throw a dart at Tiger.  Just come out and say, under the circumstances this week was very satisfying. We'd all get that and you wouldn't come out looking like a bad guy.

Also, now that Stevie has opened up the "Adam does well b/c Stevie's on the bag" media line, he shouldn't be surprised when Adam doesn't have a great tournament, the media looks at him. Hopefully, things don't follow that way, but it's possible.

I know various things will often cause Tiger to get a fire lit under his ass...usually its very personal attacks against him versus a general "Tiger is mediocre"...like a player saying he is "beatable" etc... and now you have a VERY personal attack from his old employee....I "think" this is the type of thing that will get Tiger laser focused for next week. At least I hope so.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I think the overwhelming majority of the public see's Stevie's "best week" comment as an outright lie and a thinly-veiled attempt to throw a dart at Tiger.  Just come out and say, under the circumstances this week was very satisfying. We'd all get that and you wouldn't come out looking like a bad guy.

Also, now that Stevie has opened up the "Adam does well b/c Stevie's on the bag" media line, he shouldn't be surprised when Adam doesn't have a great tournament, the media looks at him. Hopefully, things don't follow that way, but it's possible.

Williams needs to shut up.  His 15 minutes of fame are over.  Get out from in front of the camera and do your job.

This whole media circus, Williams -vs- Tiger getting more exposure than Scott is ridiculous.

Williams may be a great caddie, but hes showing me he is a head case as well.  So you don't work for Tiger anymore.  Do the details of exactly the day/time your "firing" happened really matter to us?

Maybe its just me, but Williams is making himself look pretty pathetic.  The Media isn't helping by spoon feeding him either.

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

Originally Posted by aschroeger

The Media isn't helping by spoon feeding him either.

Hopefully they leave him alone at the PGA so he doesn't get a chance to embarrass himself any more

Hopefully they leave him alone at the PGA so he doesn't get a chance to embarrass himself any more

After all of the air time this story filled up on ESPN today, I wouldn't bet on it. :-D

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!