IGNORED

Seven Days in Utopia - Another Golf Movie

act0fgod
Note: This thread is 3499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Saw this today... UGH. I don't usually agree with Roger Ebert but he hits the nail on the head http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110831/REVIEWS/110839996

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

I'll rent it on blue-ray....

I don't think it'll be that bad.  The LIB holliwood elite hates it because it has too much of a "religious" vibe........I take everything they say with a huge grain of salt.

I'm looking forward to renting it....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Who's been to see the movie? Did you like it?

I'm on vacation this week and since it was raining the first part of the week I went to see it. Actually, on Tuesday, the power went out about an hour into the movie and I got a refund as well as a free pass, so yesterday I went back to finish watching the movie. Although the movie is portrayed as a golf movie, is actually more of a movie about inspiration, faith and the way to get your life back on track when you've gone a stray, just happens to be about a golfer.

I won't go into much detail for those who haven't seen it but I will say it's worth watching.

I agree completely. I really enjoyed the message the movie portrays. You need to go in knowing the acting is going to be terrible but there's something deeper than that. If you liked the movie I think you'll love the book.

• 3 months later...

Originally Posted by 1puttit

Saw this today... UGH. I don't usually agree with Roger Ebert but he hits the nail on the head http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110831/REVIEWS/110839996

At the end it almost seems like he was complaining about there not being enough bad words in the movie - like maybe a few random f-bombs would've improved things for him.  I can't agree with that but I do agree with the rest.  I'll watch anything golf related but this one was really painful.  Bad words should be used to describe this donkey turd of a movie . . but they wouldn't necessarily improve it.

I really love all the golf movies but, this was just horrible.  It had to be one of the most boring movies I have ever sat through and it was like watching a callaway commercial the entire time.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Lucas Black is a poor actor.

but a surpisingly good golfer.    I enjoyed it ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Reading this thread made me think this thing was a wet, steaming pile. Then I saw that Jessica from True Blood was the romantic interest.

I'm gonna watch this movie 1000 times.

• 2 months later...

As far as golf movies go, this one was tolerable to me.  I watched the Bagger Vance movie a year ago and couldn't get over the fact that the guy who played Bobby Jones actually had a good, single-digit, (estimating, ~5 maybe?) golf swing, and the other guys (Matt Damon, etc.) would be lucky to break 100 any day.  It was hard to suspend disbelief because you would be reminded every swing.  Utopia at least seemed to get in the general ballpark as far as golf things were concerned. Swing doubles, actual tour players....  Maybe with the exception of the Father's advice "You need to release the club to prevent a hook".  Not sure why they didn't use actual golf balls though....  The CG was obvious.  Parts of it were hilarious.  Seeing KJ Choi take a boxing glove off the driver for his character T.K. Oh was the pinnacle of the movie for me.  I LOL'ed for maybe 5 minutes.  Well, at least until the last putt to win when he switched putters and I wondered if he'd broken rule 4.4 or stupidly left out a wedge or long iron for the space.  Other than that I just pretty much ignored the actual plot and reminisced of all the Texas creek fishing I've done.  This is one gorgeous state if you don't mind the heat.  Overall, it was pretty much like watching an exceptionally long Callaway superbowl ad.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I saw this movie..and wished I hadn't. It's has a lot of religious connotation disguised in a golf movie. It reminds me of the movie with Kirk Cameron about the Fireman finding God and does a 180. If you like that, then this will be right up your alley. Same concept, different plot. It's got a hint of The Karate Kid as well. I don't want to say too much. The Spoiler tag doesn't seem to be working. A lot of internal struggle. For me, this was a very strong/very weak grip... two thumbs way down.

• 1 year later...

Not worried about spoilers.  apparently this is an old movie.

On Golf Channel last night - I'm sad to say I'll never get those two hours of my life back.  (I'd have wasted them anyway).

It was like one of those Lifetime movies that you start.  And then leave after 15 minutes.  Pure, unimaginative, tripe.

Hated:

- the religious bit at the end - kinda blindsided as it didn't really go that way at all other than prior to that it was a over the top in "naive wholesomeness".  They were clearly sucking up to some imagined demographic.  It was actually appropriately placed in the background as a normal part of the community in a real and subtle way.  To go 'in your face' the last ten minutes was stupid, unnecessary, and just didn't fit the rest of the film.

- the ugly Callaway advertising

- that each Golf Channel personality had a token role

- zero subtlety - clearly the target audience was expected to be a bit dim and needed everything spelled out for them.  a bit insulting to watch

Liked:

- Duvall was the only highlight, he actually can take any turd and do a great job (within his narrow type cast range) - what an actor.

- At least the kid 'looked' like a contemporary golfer

- a guy named TKO having a boxing glove driver cover

- playing for the course record in a thunderstorm - tribute to Caddie Shack.  It would have been appropriate HERE to make some obtuse quote from the movie.

- Redhead was ridiculously cute - so they had that going for it.  Which is nice.

- How they treated the last putt of the tourny.  ((But they even ruined that by having the narrator had to come on and blatantly mention it - apparently for the stupid people that wouldn't get the moral of the story without being told it obtusely.))

(((rule 4.4 - I don't think there is any rule to having more than one putter as long as the total count stays in line)))

Bill - 

• Administrator

- playing for the course record in a thunderstorm - tribute to Caddie Shack.  It would have been appropriate HERE to make some obtuse quote from the movie.

- Redhead was ridiculously cute - so they had that going for it.  Which is nice.

I see what you did there.

And I approve.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 11 months later...
It was pretty bad. Waste of a few hours.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Note: This thread is 3499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!