IGNORED

If youre in between your club distance, better to hit the shorter club harder or a gentler swing with longer club

Note: This thread is 4641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Neither.  Grip down on the longer club about an inch and use the same swing.  When you are inbetween clubs its already better to grip down on the longer club than to try to muscle the shorter club.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I need to adjust a few things after choking down/up to prevent a thinned or yanked shot.

Quote:

That's why you choke down...

You can still swing confidently and reduce the potential full distance of the 8i with choking down.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Depends on the situation,

If i am going into the wind i will tend to club up and hit it lighter because it puts less spin on the ball

Most of the time i tend to club up one and choke down on it. Unless its like 2-3 yards past my max, then i might try to hit one hard. I saw club up, most Ams never take enough club anyways.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

That's why you choke down...

You can still swing confidently and reduce the potential full distance of the 8i with choking down.

Well yes and no.  Some people can't swing confidently choking down.  My cousin along with a couple other guys can't swing well when they choke down.  It may be a mental thing but they can't.  These guys can't hit half shots either.  I was answering the question the original poster asked.  Had choking down been an option, I would have chosen that.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I need to adjust a few things after choking down/up to prevent a thinned or yanked shot.

Quote:

This.  Like I mentioned above, my cousin has to make adjustments as well and it normally doesn't end up being the desired outcome.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Maybe it's my lack of experience playing, but I do better hitting the shorter club harder than I do trying to slow down my swing with a longer club.  I do choke up on my wedges sometimes, but I don't trust it with my longer irons.

Joe Paradiso

Hard 9. I sometimes have trouble with hitting clubs easier (usually results in blocking it). I de-loft the crap out of my irons anyway. I've just always felt that a hard 170 yard 9 iron is easier than an easy 8.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

If it's downwind, hit a club harder as often the wind can knock it down pretty fast, but into the wind, less club so no ballooning occurs...

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

We yes, no doubt.  Adjustments are necessary.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

This reminds me of riding a motorcycle and approaching a bend too fast; logically you should speed up to be able to get your knee down more and make it around the bend but instinctively you want to brake to slow yourself down to make it around the turn.

With these clubs the logic is that it's easier and more consistent to take a longer club and hit with less power whereas in reality hitting a lower lofted club with less power will probably put less spin on the ball so not only will the ball fly longer and lower, it'll roll out more than hitting the 8 harder.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• Administrator

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

This reminds me of riding a motorcycle and approaching a bend too fast; logically you should speed up to be able to get your knee down more and make it around the bend but instinctively you want to brake to slow yourself down to make it around the turn.

With these clubs the logic is that it's easier and more consistent to take a longer club and hit with less power whereas in reality hitting a lower lofted club with less power will probably put less spin on the ball so not only will the ball fly longer and lower, it'll roll out more than hitting the 8 harder.

I'm a fan of taking the shorter club and hitting it a little harder. But then again, my normal swing isn't "full out" like most people's, so I still have extra left in order to hit it harder.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I go with the longer club and choke down 1/2 inch. If that's not enough, I also take something like 5% less of a backswing.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I'm a fan of taking the shorter club and hitting it a little harder. But then again, my normal swing isn't "full out" like most people's, so I still have extra left in order to hit it harder.

I knew you'd say that. :-D I'd really like to be able to do the same. As my swing has gotten a little better, I still hit the same distances but with a little less effort. My problem is that although I can swing harder, doing so increases my likelihood of failure by a large margin, so it's not worth it for me. If I actually practiced swinging harder, perhaps I'd be able to safely use it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

It depends on a lot of factors really, so each shot can require a different approach. Assuming level ground, no wind, no trouble, pin in the middle, the majority of the time I will hit the longer club. I rarely hit a full shot as it is unless it is just a perfect situation for the club. Most of the time I take more club, choke down, and adjust the backswing anyway. I can't think of many times through a round where I acess a shot and think it is a perfect distance and situation for a full grip, full swing, stock shot. They are pretty rare. There is always an outside element (wind, elevation, trouble) that factors in and causes an adjustment. There are times when it just feels better in my mind to take the longer club and give it all I have. Some of my more memorable shots have been by doing that. One thing I don't ever do is to swing easy(er). To me, that is the kiss of death for a golf swing. I will adjust my grip and backswing, but the pass through the ball will be similar no matter what. Not saying I swing out of my shoes, but I try not to just ease off a regular swing.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I have been told by some of my golfing buddies, most of whom are Old timers (30 years + of playing).

Always go with the shorter club at normal swing.

I always approached like this: do I want to be short or long of the hole. especially if it is only a difference of 10 years. If there is more room behind the hole and it is a decent put, go with the longer club.

If I want to be short and it is an uphill put go short and hit normal.

All depends on what green you have to work with and where you want to put from.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 4641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!