IGNORED

Who puts the pin back?

camper6
Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

My rule: first in, unless he's gotta do things like collect his wedge or get to the restroom or whatever else. Basically, the rule I follow is this: "whoever can get it the fastest."

Never really had a problem with it.

Our group, we just play ready golf..  Whoever is ready, picks up the flag, or tee's off..  There are times the man that won the previous hole just isn't ready to tee off, we just play, if you are ready, go ahead.. Anything that speeds up play, being considerate to the golfers behind us, is a good thing.. There are times that waiting for someone to putt that is further away, would seriously slow the pace..

Just use common sense is what I say :)

you have to be active on the forum with "x" amount of post for "X" amount of days, does say somewhere in your account profile bit but cannot remember which

Originally Posted by ShearBalata

I agree with first in gets the pin.  I just joined the blog, and in my ignorance was hoping that someone could please tell me how one puts their "in my bag" signature on their posts?

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I've always played that whoever putts in first replaces the pin, but if that person can't do it (someone else is standing much closer, they're the designated scorekeeper, etc.) it doesn't really matter.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ShearBalata

I agree with first in gets the pin.  I just joined the blog, and in my ignorance was hoping that someone could please tell me how one puts their "in my bag" signature on their posts?

Click your username at the top right-hand side of the page, next to Log Out. Scroll down to 'Your Forum Signature' and then then click 'Edit Signature'. From there you can type in whatever you want.

With our group it's usually whomever is closest and in, not just first in.  If I'm first in but the pin is across the hole and me trying to get to the pin will require me to either cross someone's line or walk all the way around the green, I don't go get it.  The next guy will be closer and won't cause any distractions to the others putting.

Also, if I chip up close, I'll pull the pin, putt in and keep it while the others putt.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

This.

Originally Posted by ThominOH

Our group, we just play ready golf..  Whoever is ready, picks up the flag, or tee's off..  There are times the man that won the previous hole just isn't ready to tee off, we just play, if you are ready, go ahead.. Anything that speeds up play, being considerate to the golfers behind us, is a good thing.. There are times that waiting for someone to putt that is further away, would seriously slow the pace..

Usually we try to conform to the best score tees first though. But overall, I would never walk around the green to grab the pin, or go stepping over your lines like I'm walking through tires like an obstacle course. I say if you're near it just grab it. There really doesn't need to be a handbook in regards to this kind of stuff - common sense should apply by default.

"Dude, you were second in, drop the pin back where it was so I can walk over there and grab it!". Over exaggeration here, but you get it lol.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That's an entirely different can of worms. I don't care for other people getting in the habit of picking up my clubs. I leave them in line with the hole and my golf bag and can get them myself thank you.

Really? Just out of curiousity, how do you handle the situation when your playing with someone that doesn't know your rule and they have the audacity to pick up your wedge when your putting out?

Originally Posted by 1par2win

Really? Just out of curiousity, how do you handle the situation when your playing with someone that doesn't know your rule and they have the audacity to pick up your wedge when your putting out?

Really? You can't read all the words I wrote?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Really? You can't read all the words I wrote?

Pity the fool that dares "helps" a fellow player with a club laying on the ground. You still didn't answer my question when said fool picks up your club. How do you avoid the enviable awkward moment when they think they are helping and you tell them not to pick up your club? In all the years I have been playing I have never run across this situation so I'm curious how that works. And I promise to read all your words!

Originally Posted by ThominOH

Exactly.... common sense.  If I'm the second or third player to putt out in my fourball, I'm not going to refuse to get the flagstick just because I didn't hole out first.  Particularly if I happen to be on the same side of the hole as where the flagstick is lying when I finish, I'll just go pick it up.  This is a topic which never comes up in any group I've ever played with because it isn't necessary.  Whoever finishes putting in the most convenient position to pick up the stick, does so.   Even fairly new golfers seem to figure this out faster than they do many other points of etiquette on the course.

Plain old common sense - there doesn't need to be an unbreakable rigid rule to govern something so trivial.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

First in gets the pin.

Not a hard rule of course, if the first person to hole out forgets it (maybe he made a birdie, hey!) I don't mind picking it up. I even don't mind putting the pin back for the whole round if no one else does. Big deal.

In my bag:
Driver: Titleist 909D2 11.5°, UST Proforce V2 85X
Wood: Titleist 909F2 15.5°, UST Proforce V2 Tour 95X
Hybrid: Nickent 3DX DC Ironwood 20°, UST Proforce V2 Tour 105X
Irons: Titleist AP2 4-GW, TTDG X100, 1° weak (except the 4i), 1° flat 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM56.14, SM60.07, TTDG X100, 1° flat

As long as some one puts the pin back I'd call it a victory.  I was following a group a couple/few weeks ago that failed to do so 4 times.  No marshals that day so no one to help out.  And they somehow managed to clear the tee boxes before we got there every time so we couldn't have words either (we were walking, they had power carts).  Gotta love only going for center mass on the green because you have no idea where the hole is.

Brad

No you won't, because you already haven't. Move on.

Pity the fool that dares "helps" a fellow player with a club laying on the ground. You still didn't answer my question when said fool picks up your club. How do you avoid the enviable awkward moment when they think they are helping and you tell them not to pick up your club? In all the years I have been playing I have never run across this situation so I'm curious how that works. And I promise to read all your words!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

No you won't, because you already haven't. Move on.

Alright, suit yourself. This reminds me of a joke.

Q: What does an internet pissing match and a gold medal in the Special Olympics have in common?

A: They are nice to win but in the end your still retarded.

Moving on now....

Alright, suit yourself. This reminds me of a joke.

Q: What does an internet pissing match and a gold medal in the Special Olympics have in common?

A: They are nice to win but in the end your still retarded.

Moving on now....

You know what, my daughter is mentally disabled and a competitor in the Special Olympics. You're a douche bag.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by camper6

We don't use the honor system for teeing off because some golfers are shorter than others off the tee and they go first.   That does speed things up .

How does having shorter players hit first, or any tee off order for that matter, speed up play?

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I think generally first in gets the pin unless doing so upsets the rhythm of putting for rest of group is a good one.  Though I often find that when playing with slower players where we're constantly threatening to get half a hole behind I can actually speed up play more if I'm first in by just taking off to the next tee box and teeing off while they're walking over from the last green, rather than sitting with the flag and waiting for them to putt out.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!