IGNORED

If You DO NOT Take Lessons, Why?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you do not take lessons, please select all the reasons why and elaborate in a post below.

• Lessons cost too much.
    • Don't think you can get any better.
    • Friend (or you) had bad previous experience with lessons.
    • No good instructors nearby.
    • Don't have the time.
    • Like to try to figure things out entirely on your own.
    • Don't want to have your swing "rebuilt" or "torn apart."
    • Don't want to get worse before you get better.
    • Don't want to be criticized.
    • Don't want to see your swing on video.
    • Other

I chose three things: lessons cost too much, no good instructors nearby, and like to figure stuff out on my own. I put down cost because as a college student I don't think I could afford quality lessons that would actually help. In the summer, I live in a small town with a golf course that doesn't really offer lessons of any kind. Summertime is really the only time I golf. Lessons from a "pro" would probably be at least a couple hours away. I like to experiment with my swing after reading books, looking at forums, etc. I have gotten better without any kind of formal lesson so I am content with my progress. If I ever stop getting better it may be time to look at lessons again, but I am expecting that to be a few years off.

For me it was setting me back years when I last took them and advancing more by watching my father in law play. I will take some more lessons in the future - but I will be just taking them on short game (once I have the time to practice what I am taught.)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, at age 64, I just don't worry about it that much any more.  It isn't a cost issue - as a course employee I can take all the lessons I want for free with a choice of three different pros.  I took a couple of lessons 20+ years ago, but since then I've just gotten to know my swing.  I know it better than any instructor, and I usually know how to fix it when it's broken.  I have no interest in revamping it.  I'd rather just play with what I've got.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I haven't started yet. Only been at this since March. Went from 5x par to bogey ball...

Now that I am hitting the ball straight, mostly, and feeling comfortable with my swing...I am going to start lessons.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Ive taken two lessons, and they were gifts. Now im out of the country and the season ends soon here but even so I just cannot justify the price for myself. Maybe now that I have steady employment I might reevaluate.

The two lessons I did take were immediately helpful and immediately led to reduced scores. But even so golf is a hobby and I already spend too much on balls and greens fees.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by funkyfred72

I voted for "Lessons cost too much."  Seems as though a lot of others think this also.  I know I am not going to get so great at the game of golf I am going to turn pro, or even come close.  Why spend $40+ per lesson when I can go play two rounds for that that much?  There are so many video and books out there that lessons, in my opinion, are becoming less and less needed.

Where in the world are you playing for 20 bucks ?  I think 60-80 bucks for an hour lesson is reasonable.  It's not like these pros are doing 8 hrs of lessons a day and making 200k a year.  The ones I don't get are the 100-200 an hr guys who try to run you out the door as soon as your time is up.  It really all depends on finding the right person and the truth is alot of weekend warriors don't want to put in the time to get better or they think they know more then the instructor and never change.

I've changed my swing a few times and gion through changes now.  My scores are getting higher and the handicap is going back up but, doesn't mean because I hit one bad shot that I'll fall back to my old swing.  Changes take time but, if you put forth the effort it can make a huge difference.  It's going to get worse before it gets better and most people don't want to fully commit to the changes.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I chose that I like trying to work thinkgs out on my own because I spend about four hours a week at the range.  I work in high-end retail and economic issues can (and have) had an impact on my compensation, so I'm having to "watch my pennies" right now.  The expense of lessons, when I only get to the course about once every 4-6 weeks, makes it difficult to justify.  When I stop seeing progress in my practice I guess that lessons will be next.  The problem is that I practice at a range with pros available by appointment but with the range's old golf balls not being consistent in distance I'd find it hard to gauge improvement.  I'm just concentrating on improving my ball striking now, not worrying as much about how far a shot goes, just whether or not I've hit it well.

The last time I talked to a PGA teaching pro, I approached him to inquire how much it would cost to have my swing video taped. Instead of giving me a price, he said: "First things first. Let me see your stance and grip." Ok...

I took my stance and he immediately spotted my weak grip and stated that I must be hitting everything right. No, I said, I tend to hit a high draw. He basically called me a liar, I promptly offered to hit some balls (we were standing out in his teaching area), he accepted, and I put five or 6 nine irons on the green @ 150yds with about a 5 yd draw on each. Yea, it was a big green...  :)

Anyway, he watched this and then promptly started telling me how we needed to flatten my swing some, strengthen my grip, etc., etc.. Told him I could not flatten my swing due to a bad lower back, it was fine as is, and was simply interested in analyzing my swing, and could he take a video. His reply? "Not without a lesson."

We were done at that point. That was two years ago, haven't spoken to one since. Not interested in rebuilding my swing. It is what it is...

Honestly? I'm not sure any of the teaching pros down here are able to do much with someone who already has a decent weekender game (shot -1 today, 4 birds, three bogeys). Were I to start taking lessons now, I would be most interested in learning how to fine tune my distance control, and more consistently hit a 5 yd fade (something I have extreme difficulty with).

Maybe some putting lessons and course management.

To be fair, I've not approached any of the pros at the local private clubs. They might be of higher caliber, but I might pass out from sticker shock when told their rate. :)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I voted lessons cost to much.

I have got my handicap down to where it is now by studying the golf swing (mostly the S&T; method) and being dilligent with filming my swing with my super slow-mo camera at almost every range session that I have.

After every range session, I am able to see exactly what is happening with my swing and can make adjustments on the fly and hit the record button again to see if the change I made actually did happen.

So right now as is, I can't justify the cost when I've obtained success with my game on my own.

I'm sure however that if I continue to stay stuck at my current handicap for an extended period of time, I may finally go for a lessons to get me to scratch somehow.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I voted that I like to figure things out on my own.  I know that a pro could figure out my problem more promptly than me, but I have fun figuring out what I'm doing wrong.  I know a lot about the swing already based on what I read and experience.  I can tell what I do wrong based on ball flight, what I felt, and how I think my clubface was at impact. I feel like I'm at a point in which I know my swing so well, I can close my eyes and know where my ball went.  However, that doesn't mean I make mistakes; I do make mistakes, and that's why I am not as good as I could be.  But, I like to figure out what I do wrong on my own, so I know what not to do the next time or not try to do the next time.  Ironically, I do suggest taking lessons because they help with experience and knowledge of the golf swing and everything there is about golf.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'm fairly athletic & have been able to pick it up - have developed a decent swing & and just prefer to learn on my own based on the S&T; book & free youtube video's.      Not really interested in having my swing torn down - have enough trouble working on the things I know I'm doing wrong.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Mix between Cost too much and other.  I was a 8 handicap trying to get to scratch.  So I started taking some lessons from a local pro.  I've always been more of a centralized swinger and he really wanted me to get more behind the ball.  After 6 lessons and 3 months of beating ball I was worse.  I guess my only advise is if your a good golfer make sure what you want to achieve is similar to what the pro wants to teach.  After another year I'm finally back to where I was

Cobra ZL 10.5

Cobra Baffle 16 hybrid
Titleist 735CM
Callaway Xtour 54.
Callaway Xtour 58

Ping Crazy-E

Pro V1

I voted cost too much and no good instructors. I'm too much of a 'golf geek' for trendy golf instuction ie "You need to shut the face more to get a draw" "You draw the ball naturally because you have such a strong release." Lol I played with a round with one of the top local instructors in the area and everytime I hit a loose shot he would say "That's that left side..." It drove me nuts, my friend and I crack up now and say it all the time but wth does that even mean?

Worth mentioning though that I think my swing is actually in a recession at the moment. I'm a range rat and I hit balls nearly every day but I think working alone for so long has allowed some terrible habits. I notice now that I sway off the ball in the  backswing (not sure when that started) My backswing has also got shorter and shorter probably as a natural reaction to hitting 1000's of balls a week and a subconscious effort to conserve energy. :)

Anyway counter question... What would it really cost to get me from shooting 8-10 strokes over par to shooting scratch. How much would I have to spend? My guess is 1000's of dollars... I'm not sure that's a good investment and before someone says think about how much you spend on golf clubs or range balls, I get free range balls with my golf pass (that I get with tax return) and I'm playing and will continue to play the same clubs until they can no longer be repaired. (7 have broke :P)

Other - no local instructors teach on grass. I'm not anti-instruction, I'm anti-concrete.

Also indoor lessons are a no go for this reason, even thought the mats are a lot better then the driving ranges.  I definitely strike the ball better on turf. My sub-conscious refuses to take a divot on a hard mat.

PS: Once the season slows down I'm going to find somebody.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Tried 5 different instructors over 5 years, none of them helped. I didn't pick "No good instructors nearby" because I don't think they were necessarily bad, they just didn't help me.

Bill

I voted "like to figure it out on my own" and "don't want my swing torn apart."

I know I could benefit greatly, but I just have too much pride to ask for help (let alone pay for it). But I will get lessons at some point.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Try this for a good explanation of why instructors wont really help;

1. Get the Las Vegas phone book out and  call any pro Magician in there. Ask him how he does his most famous trick, Offer him 60 bucks for an hour of his undivided attention so you can learn his trick.....Go ahead, we'll wait......

Did he hang up on you?....Yeah, thought so.

Ben Hogan said this: "Golf cannot be taught, it can only be learned"

Unless youre a wunderkind young gun golfer that has a LOT of promise and not from this planet, a good instructor will not work with you for a percentage of winnings, so you'll end up having to pay the hourly rate or buy 3 get 1 free type deals... Break it down to financial motivations:  Be honest with yourself.

The better you get, the LESS money he gets, and you dont repeat as a customer.

Bottom line; Job Security

Disagree if you want, but youre only fooling yourselves

Try this for a good explanation of why instructors wont really help;

1. Get the Las Vegas phone book out and  call any pro Magician in there. Ask him how he does his most famous trick, Offer him 60 bucks for an hour of his undivided attention so you can learn his trick.....Go ahead, we'll wait......

Did he hang up on you?....Yeah, thought so.

Ben Hogan said this: "Golf cannot be taught, it can only be learned"

Unless youre a wunderkind young gun golfer that has a LOT of promise and not from this planet, a good instructor will not work with you for a percentage of winnings, so you'll end up having to pay the hourly rate or buy 3 get 1 free type deals... Break it down to financial motivations:  Be honest with yourself.

The better you get, the LESS money he gets, and you dont repeat as a customer.

Bottom line; Job Security

Disagree if you want, but youre only fooling yourselves

The less people improve, the less customers he gets. Think about it. If you hated your lessons and didn't learn anything, youre not going to tell your friends to go there. It just doesn't work that way. They try and be the best teachers out there because a teacher who has a track record of Improving people's scores is going to get more customers than someone who doesn't.

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!