IGNORED

Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame

iacas
Note: This thread is 2168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pete Rose be in baseball's Hall of Fame

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

As much as I hate Pete Rose... the HoF is not about being a good person.

"character, integrity, and sportsmanship" are also part of what the voters are asked to consider---so it's not just playing record, even if it should be

Rose should have been banned from baseball, but eligible for the HOF. He broke the rules as a manager. Bonds and the rest of the steroid users cheated to gain an edge as a player. Pete's worst crime was thinking he was bigger than baseball. If he had confessed early in the investigation, all would have been forgiven.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5

Callaway X2Hot Hybrids 16*, 22*, 25*

Callaway XR Irons 6-AW

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54*,59*, 64*

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Rossie Putter

Bag Boy Revolver LE bag

Bag Boy Quad cart

Originally Posted by stevejason

Rose should have been banned from baseball, but eligible for the HOF. He broke the rules as a manager. Bonds and the rest of the steroid users cheated to gain an edge as a player. Pete's worst crime was thinking he was bigger than baseball. If he had confessed early in the investigation, all would have been forgiven.

It matters not.

The rules to get in to the Hall of Fame are that you can't have been banned from baseball for anything.

So until that rule is changed anyone banned from the game for any reason is not eligible for the Hall of Fame.

And the Hall of Fame is a separate entity from major league baseball.

I'd have to say that he should be in but I understand the no argument as well.  He is the all time hits leader and that should count for something but at the same time him not being in the hall doesn't take that away.  I think what it comes down to is that he made a bad choice, but not one that changed his performance on the field so he should get in.  With guys like Bonds or Clemens, they made bad choices that DID effect their performance on the field and helped them get to numbers that they wouldn't otherwise have reached so I'd keep them out.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get the whole steroids hate movement we're in currently and while I could argue that steroids used properly pose no more serious health risks than advil I won't bother as the media has made up everyones mind on steroids.  I do have some issues with the current attitude towards those that used roids while they played;

1. MLB knew - the commissioner knew, the teams knew, the trainers knew, the coaches knew and the players knew.  No one said anything because steroids created home runs and the home run races between Sosa, McGuire and Bonds made baseball relevant again after the strike season caused many to abadon the sport
  2. MLB players have used amphetimines (greenies) throughout baseball - yet no one wants to discredit records set while players were using them and many players that abused them, alcohol and other drugs are in the hall of fame today

I'm all for setting rules so there's an even playing field, but Bonds and others are taking a lot of heat now when everyone was pretty happy with how things were going while they played.

Joe Paradiso

When you get right down to it. MLB has nothing to do with any player getting into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  If they want to ignore steroids, etc. the voters for the Hall might consider it when voting.  My guess would be that the voters know what is going on when they do vote so a lot of those players that used steroids might have a tough time getting in.

I can't back that up with any facts.  It's just an opinion.

It's just like the poll here.  75% feel Pete Rose should   be in the Hall of Fame.

I agree and you're right, the press decides who gets in, but MLB and the commissioner make their feelings known.

Originally Posted by camper6

When you get right down to it. MLB has nothing to do with any player getting into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  If they want to ignore steroids, etc. the voters for the Hall might consider it when voting.  My guess would be that the voters know what is going on when they do vote so a lot of those players that used steroids might have a tough time getting in.

It's just like the poll here.  75% feel Pete Rose should   be in the Hall of Fame.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree and you're right, the press decides who gets in, but MLB and the commissioner make their feelings known.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camper6

That's important. When the sportswriters take up his cause, he's as good as in. I might be on board with that by then.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I voted that yes, he should be in.  While I understand the motivation for requiring a level of professionalism and character, I see the hall of fame as a recognition of the career, not so much of the player.  As long as the playing career was clean, I don't think its sensible to keep him out.

There are plenty of guys in the HoF that should not be held up as shining examples of how to live your life off the field, so I don't even think the character argument is being uniformly applied.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

i voted no.   sorry pete, but you're out!

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I think he should be allowed in. He's one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game and the all time hits leader. But eventually, I think he will be let in. Hopefully before he passes away.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I voted yes.  He was the hardest working most intense player of all time.  There will be so many poeple who used steriods and HGH that get in.  They all used.  The only great player that didn't from that era was Ken Griffey Jr.

Brian

No way! Betting on baseball while he was managing,and then lying after getting caught, hurt baseball and ruined his credibility. I also think guys caught using ped's should not be considered.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, never going to happen. Being banned from baseball might be a problem when trying to get in the HOF. How can a great player like that make such a mistake.

Hi Bore XL 10.5*

Launcher DST 3W 15*

Rescue 09 Hybrid 19*

MX-23 Irons 4-PW

Wedges 51*,56*, 60*

Classic II Putter

B330-RX

No.  Being a habitual liar leads me to believe he bet while he played as well.  In addition, he played a lot longer than he should have just to get the hits.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
Yes and I'll leave it at that.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• 2 months later...

I voted yes.  He was the hardest working most intense player of all time.  There will be so many poeple who used steriods and HGH that get in.  They all used.  The only great player that didn't from that era was Ken Griffey Jr.

Hold the phone. Frank Thomas didn't juice.

No.  Being a habitual liar leads me to believe he bet while he played as well.  In addition, he played a lot longer than he should have just to get the hits.

A lot of people stick around longer than they should when a record, or some sort of milestone, is on the line. I would do the same thing. You say that as if Pete Rose was the only one to do it.

-Rich

• 2 months later...

I think Pete Rose should be inducted into the hall of fame, sure he screwed up, but I think he paid his dues, and he is not the only sports figure who messed up. He love to play the game, and  he always gave 110 percent

Note: This thread is 2168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!