IGNORED

Should there be another major outside the U.S.?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Yeah, but they got Canada wrong. I can see Canada where I live. It should be marked as "land of the quarters pop machines won't take."

I hate that, how do those quarters make it past the banks coin sorters, but not a damn pop machine.. Awesome that you call it pop,

http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Intersting map on what people call the dreaded sugary drink across the US.. Its fun to go to South Carolina and ask for what type of pop do you have, and the waitress gives you that, what the hell are you talking about look..

I don't mind another major, i think 5 is a good number, or maybe take the PGA championship and make it a roaming tourniment across the world.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some other viewpoints:

Economist%20Cover%20How%20China%20Sees%20the%20World%2002012010.jpg

newyorker2.JPG

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by saevel25

I hate that, how do those quarters make it past the banks coin sorters, but not a damn pop machine.. Awesome that you call it pop,

Intersting map on what people call the dreaded sugary drink across the US.. Its fun to go to South Carolina and ask for what type of pop do you have, and the waitress gives you that, what the hell are you talking about look..

I don't mind another major, i think 5 is a good number, or maybe take the PGA championship and make it a roaming tourniment across the world.

The map is missing: Cupertino: Sugar Water.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No, no other majors outside the US. And go back to calling the Open Championship the British Open, like God intended.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Quote:

Yeah, but they got Canada wrong. I can see Canada where I live. It should be marked as "land of the quarters pop machines won't take."

Your quarters don't work in most of our machines either. Whenever I get an odd looking quarter in my change I ask for a swap. It's not like there's any difference in their value (maybe a penny or two lately either way), but when you're a quarter short and you're jonesing for a can of soda pop . . . The US ones are easy to spot, but anything from a commonwealth country has the queen on one side (like ours does) and Canada comes out with a new quarter every 45 minutes. Not sure what was wrong with just havning the caribou. I wonder how much our government wastes on minting new designs every year, but I digress.

If Lee Westwood sounds bitter now, wait until he's had Monty's career (decidedly majorless). Anything more than 4 cheapens it should anyone go on a Tiger / Jack / Tom / Ben / Arnie like tear for a few years. If that 5th one is on their resume, there'll be asterices [s] all over it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Pop, Soda, etc

back in NZ we call it 'fizzy drink'

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

The masters only started in 1934 and its an invitational tournament.  The U.S pga started in 1916 but it wasn't until the late 50s that both tournaments were  touted about as being majors, so i don't think we have to worry about tradition too much

or 'soft drink'. 'Softie' for short.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Pop, Soda, etc

back in NZ we call it 'fizzy drink'

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I agree that many will resist any change to the majors....but in the end golf sadly is THE corporate sport with all that implies -good and bad...so when a big money sponsor ponies up enough cash -all this "tradition" talk will fast change to "New Era" in golf "Global Game" speak and we will, indeed , see a fifth -and maybe more! Major....money doesnt talk...it screams.

(i.e. the Hope Classic has declined in recent years due to PGA players declining to come in favor of more lucrative appearance fees elsewhere -often in rather far-flung locales..)

IMO there should be and will be a 5th major outside of the U.S. eventually.  Golf has turned into a global game and theres no reason why fans in other countries shouldnt get a major in their home country too.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

No, no other majors outside the US. And go back to calling the Open Championship the British Open, like God intended.

The Open Championship is the one and only open. It's the original "major" and we had it first. It's also the best major...

IMO, Asian golf courses are just replica's of the US stadium courses anyway... what would an Asian Major bring to the party? The reason The Open is such a great addition to the roster is its completely different to what most PGA tour golfers are used to. True Links golf (normally).

If another Major was to be added, it would need to be different to whats already there.

Is it safe for a Brit to come in here and put a different slant on Majors??

Its interesting to see so many say the US PGA is a minor Major. In many Brits eyes its the Masters, by virtue of its weak field, that is the weakest of the Majors. That doesn't detract from it being a Major, and for me its the curtain raiser for the golf season. The US PGA is a great tournament, and a true test of golf... its got to stay as a Major. The US Open, as well as the British Open, is a given. Both are Majors in everyone's eyes and will always be Majors. And many Brits see ours as the British Open even if it does seem to get shortened to the Open on occasion.

Should there be an Australasian Major? Its not that long ago that the Autralian Open was one of the premier events, and still is in the Far East. Time zone and TV relegated it to an also ran but that's a real shame. The field for it dropped of as the TV revenue tailed off but its a great shame because it gets played on some great courses.

If golf is to be the big world sport, and see the revenue from the emerging nations in the Far East, its only common sense for a 5th Major to evolve out there. As for the WGC tournaments; the original concept that Greg Norman was heavily involved in was really good but money has seen the majority of the tournaments end up in the US... its about money at the end of the day, and thats where the advertisers see the biggest markets for their wares.

That said, with the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup & Walker Cup over here I wonder just where the balance of golfing power resides -------- sorry guys, I just couldn't stop myself having a little fun.

Quote:

A major cannot be just declared. Certainly if a tournament demonstrates the staying power one of the US majors. agreed probably the PGA could be replaced. Identify for me a tournament with at least 20 years of history, big purse, consistently great field, major TV exposure, outside the US which could replace the PGA? Part of it is that weather and when tournament could be played. US and British places on the calander are firm. It will be tough to convince pros that a major in what is winter in US and Europe is desireable. Unless asian players make a much larger contingent of the top players for and extended time frame 10-20 years I don't see it happening anytime soon. WGC was originally intended to be the beginning of this process. I believe the big TV money in the US has resulted in WGC moving away from it original purpose. Only Asia seems to have potential to eventually claim one of the majors, but asian golf has to be more mainstream and create a bigger legacy before it can happen.

I'll go with allin's and mvmac's posts.  To say that the game cannot change or that any change is bad is detrimental to the game over the long term and futile.  Change is inevitable.  1.2 billion in India, 1.3 billion in china, and 50 million in S. Korea (less than half the size of Britain) cannot help but drive change as golf becomes more mainstream and accessible to their populations.  Combine the inflow of talent from billions of people exposed to the game with increasing availability of corporate money for marketing and prize purses and you'll see strong, competitive fields....eventually.  I would say that in time, an Indo-Asian major is a real probability.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Hairy Feet

...And many Brits see ours as the British Open even if it does seem to get shortened to the Open on occasion.

The Open is and always will be the Open. The "british open" was introduced by our friends across the pond.

(It's nice and easy to make comments like that from this side of the macbook )

You're either very young or very old, because I'm somewhere in the middle and the coverage direct from the UK always called it "the British Open" when I started following golf.  Either way, you're not considering the other 3 current majors as such?

Originally Posted by TommyGunUK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Feet

...And many Brits see ours as the British Open even if it does seem to get shortened to the Open on occasion.

The Open is and always will be the Open. The "british open" was introduced by our friends across the pond.

(It's nice and easy to make comments like that from this side of the macbook )

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You're either very young or very old, because I'm somewhere in the middle and the coverage direct from the UK always called it "the British Open" when I started following golf.  Either way, you're not considering the other 3 current majors as such?

There are three other majors? I enjoy all the majors, always great to watch. I just feel The Open typically gives the biggest test of them all, on very punishing courses in very testing conditions.

I live in Kent, and watched some of the Open from St Georges, as well as watching some on the beeb. I cant recall it being referred to as the British Open? May well be wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Championship

I feel I have taken this a little of the subject at hand... I'll be quiet.

Originally Posted by TommyGunUK

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There are three other majors?  I enjoy all the majors, always great to watch. I just feel The Open typically gives the biggest test of them all, on very punishing courses in very testing conditions.

I live in Kent, and watched some of the Open from St Georges, as well as watching some on the beeb. I cant recall it being referred to as the British Open? May well be wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Championship

I feel I have taken this a little of the subject at hand... I'll be quiet.

That's great. It's not the point of this thread, but since I didn't start following golf in July of 2011, I wasn't actually referring to the most recent one. My statement was "The Open Championship" was for many many years know in most of the golf world as The British Open as per the following excerpt from the link you provided:

" Tournament name

In Britain, the tournament is best known by its official title, The Open Championship . The tournament's website uses only this name, while UK media generally refer to the Open (with "the" in lower case). [ 12 ] [ 13 ] [ 14 ]

Outside the UK, the tournament is generally called the "British Open " , in part to distinguish the tournament from another of the four majors that has an 'open' format, the U.S. Open , but mainly because other nations with similar 'open' format golf events refer to their own nation's open event as "the open." The PGA Tour refers to the tournament as the British Open, [ 15 ] as do many media outlets in the United States, [ 16 ] [ 17 ] though U.S. TV rights-holder ESPN has taken to referring to it as The Open Championship"

Note: This thread is 4574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!