IGNORED

Hitting into a Net

iacas
Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oy, that is a confusing statement, my bad. I should have worded it, you can get online lessons from 5SK instructors on Evolvr. Evolvr is where you get online lessons. 5SK is a learning system.

I guess an analogy is you have Kaplan (5SK) who has a method of teaching how to do well on the SATs. Kaplan.com (Evolvr) is where you can take online classes using Kaplan's methods.

Thanks, I'm new to the site and I have been wondering how those two related.  I'm planning on using Evolvr.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TheSandTrap!

If you're hitting into a net, you should film yourself. There's almost no feedback otherwise.

Post your videos here by creating a My Swing thread, and you'll get plenty of feedback from helpful and knowledgeable people, as well.

Thanks dude!

Yeah that technology is great or?! I have done that for years with lesser success :/

Is it possible to do it without camera? I mean the step's aint that hard to understand i really don't need to see them (maby i need a range for 4 and 5). I really would prefer not seeing myself i get to picky.

Is it possible do the step's one by one untill thay feel natrual? I would love to hear from a 5sk instructor what thay think.

Is it possible to do it without camera? I mean the step's aint that hard to understand i really don't need to see them (maby i need a range for 4 and 5).

The camera is important to monitor your movements so you can confirm you're doing things correctly. You can use a mirror, but the camera is the best tool. [quote name="Tuco Ramirez" url="/t/53895/hitting-into-a-net/270#post_1063053"] I really would prefer not seeing myself i get to picky. [/quote]That's why it's important to prioritize. Find the one aspect of your swing that needs to be worked on first and focus on that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 months later...

Do you also use a hitting mat for your feet as well as ball when hitting into nets?

I use another mat to stand on when I'm hitting into a net so that it brings me to same level as the hitting surface.

Jon

Well this is clever.That you put it in your garage got me thinking. What are the dimensions?

It's a standard 2 car, 1 door, garage.  But the net and mat can only go in one place where I can make a full swing (due to the garage door rails.

The net is about 5 feet across and I'm only hitting from about 6-7 feet away

If I were to redo it, It would be SO much simpler.  The hoisting setup is really overkill.  Just some clamps or hooks would be fine

Bill - 

• 2 months later...

Only read the first 5 pages or so of this thread, and its a good read with some interesting views. I am moving out of my flat and into a house with a garden and garage etc in a few weeks, and after ive finished with the move the first thing im buying is a net/mat setup. Have been wanting one for the last year and i know it will drastically help with my swing. My short game has improved a lot this last winter but all of the full swing changes i have tried have resulted in me being too impatient, or annoyed at the initial results. I believe that ive got a decent knowledge on club path, face angle, dynamic loft etc so i just need an area where i can truly focus on those things and not the direction of the shot.

Okay, thinking about getting a net to hit real balls into.  I've read through all of the posts from many threads after typing "net" into the search function.  One thing that hasn't been addressed, and my only concern, is it possible to hit the ball OVER the net?  To miss completely?  What is the shortest club you feel confident making a full swing with?  I'm not going to be hitting flop shots, but can you hit a PW into a net?

Probably will get either of these, recommendations between the two?  (I'm trying to spend less than $50)

http://www.amazon.com/Izzo-Golf-A43047-Tri-Daddy-Hitting/dp/B00GXMB2PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1430360746&sr;=8-1&keywords;=golf+net

http://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Training-Practice-Driving-Hitting/dp/B00MAYRD7C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid;=1430360746&sr;=8-8&keywords;=golf+net

If you know what the positions in the golf swing are, you don't need ball flight. And I would contest that the vast majority of golfers DO get in their own way. It takes a special student to do things like swinging a driver at 80% speed and topping balls on the range because they're working on keeping their right arm flexed longer. Much easier to have fun and commit to doing that when the ball's not going anywhere anyway.

Without the "restriction" of "ball flight" the student can focus on making the changes they need to make.

You may be the one in a thousand (or more) students who is capable of "working" on something and exaggerating it so much that you hit 20 lousy shots in a row, for example. Most people aren't. Most people, though they'll say they don't care about instant gratification, want it to come inside of 20 balls. It's much easier to work on things when you're not concerned with how the ball flies.

Additionally, ball flight is not all that matters - distance matters too to the average guy. Again if you ask a guy outdoors to swing at 20% speed he'll probably still swing at 50-75%. Ask a guy to swing at 20% indoors and he may give you 30-40%. It's much easier to work on things when you're not concerned with how far the ball flies.

No. Our students still get better. The trick is that 20-ball barrier. It's drills for awhile, which are easier with the student doing the proper things perhaps at a slower pace, perhaps exaggerating it, and then as you ramp it up the student can see the improvements right there on the camera and launch monitor.

"Hitting worse shots for awhile" is a relative term (the "awhile" part). I've talked about some of my practice sessions. When Mike Bennett was here and I worked with him he was content to literally top the ball with his driver (see above) as well as exaggerate his forward shaft lean so much he had negative loft on his driver and pounded probably 15 balls into the dirt a foot in front of where they were teed up. Then when he made his normal swings the changes were dramatic.

It's fine to disagree with me. I encourage it, and it got me to explain this more. I'm just sharing my opinions based on having watched and taught a few thousand people. They're similar to what Dave feels, though, and Chuck Evans and a few other people we've talked to: that, in general, it's easier to make actual changes to your golf swing when you're not worried about the ball flight immediately as you begin working on it. Maybe call it the "20 Ball Rule" or something. Heck, even when teaching outdoors that might make sense: telling the guy "look, you'll get better fastest if you give me 20 balls where you promise yourself you don't care one bit where they go or how they get there."

That is exactly what I discovered on my own swing during the Winter!

It still is a different world on the driving range or even the course. That being said I really have to point out that it is both a physical challenge to actually being able to make a descent swing with good movements, and on the other hand bringing that swing then on the course when the pressure is on can be such a difficult mind game.

That is the thing I am working on at the moment!

On the one side there is my new improved swing and on the other hand there is the old swing which is coming out in some situations, mostly when I am not enough focused or feeling uncomfortable.

So it is almost kind of schizo talking about the two swings which are in me at the moment hahaha :D

Before I started working on the swing my personal best was a 89 and after the winter working with the net I could already improve that personal best to a 83 and then a 79 which is giving me enough confidence to go on with the way I am working on the swing.

So I would really recommend hitting into a net when you already got a general idea about the golf swing and know the points you want to work on.

Because then like Erik already mentioned you won't be affected by the ballflight and you will adapt the new movements faster in my opinion.

That is how it looks like

Actually a pretty low budget set up. Ploystyrol plate with green carpet attached to it as stand attached to little grass piece out of a teeline (lets you feel fat shots), then a cheap net out of a fishing supply store which is supported by thicker white sheets.

Pretty cheap but quality practice solution.

Okay, thinking about getting a net to hit real balls into.  I've read through all of the posts from many threads after typing "net" into the search function.  One thing that hasn't been addressed, and my only concern, is it possible to hit the ball OVER the net?  To miss completely?  What is the shortest club you feel confident making a full swing with?  I'm not going to be hitting flop shots, but can you hit a PW into a net? Probably will get either of these, recommendations between the two?  (I'm trying to spend less than $50) [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode;=ur2&camp;=1789&creative;=9325&tag;=thesandtrap-20&location;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FIzzo-Golf-A43047-Tri-Daddy-Hitting%2Fdp%2FB00GXMB2PG%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1430360746%26sr%3D8-1%26keywords%3Dgolf%2Bnet]http://www.amazon.com/Izzo-Golf-A43047-Tri-Daddy-Hitting/dp/B00GXMB2PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1430360746&sr;=8-1&keywords;=golf+net[/URL] [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode;=ur2&camp;=1789&creative;=9325&tag;=thesandtrap-20&location;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FGiantex-Training-Practice-Driving-Hitting%2Fdp%2FB00MAYRD7C%2Fref%3Dsr_1_8%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1430360746%26sr%3D8-8%26keywords%3Dgolf%2Bnet]http://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Training-Practice-Driving-Hitting/dp/B00MAYRD7C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid;=1430360746&sr;=8-8&keywords;=golf+net[/URL]

I can't speak to either of those nets. I have a Rukk net which I love but costs more than $50, IIRC, but I don't use wedges into the net. I primarily use my 6I and the highest lofted club I'd feel comfortably using would be 7I.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

after 20+ years of wasting $ on nets made from different materials (cheap and expensive) - My low budget / best way to stop a ball indoors is with a old heavy bed comforter. The ball deflection is a fraction of a net so you can have it positioned much closer to a wall with worrying about putting holes in your drywall. The energy of impact is dispersed better so no balls flying back at you. Balls fall straight down or funneled them to automatically roll back to a pile in front of the matt. Damaged balls won't tear holes through it and just to make sure you can hang a cheapo white tablecloth on the front for extra protection. Hooked up a projector to the optishot and was floored how good it looked with the $5 table cloth. Nets are virtually silent and the bed comforter will make a minor sound when the ball makes contact.

I have used moving blankets in the past ... they are thick and designed for beating. first I did it, I suspended the blanket from the rafters ... had about 2 ft gap on the bottom ... topped a driver and the ball went just under the blanket and through the garage door ... you know that moment, where you have that dumbfounded look of WTF just happened? Yes I was that guy ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I have used moving blankets in the past ... they are thick and designed for beating.

first I did it, I suspended the blanket from the rafters ... had about 2 ft gap on the bottom ... topped a driver and the ball went just under the blanket and through the garage door ... you know that moment, where you have that dumbfounded look of WTF just happened? Yes I was that guy ...

lol.

Thanks for the mental image!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have used moving blankets in the past ... they are thick and designed for beating. first I did it, I suspended the blanket from the rafters ... had about 2 ft gap on the bottom ... topped a driver and the ball went just under the blanket and through the garage door ... you know that moment, where you have that dumbfounded look of WTF just happened? Yes I was that guy ...

LOL but you topped it on purpose right? Just to test how safe the blankets were. I have a video of a ball screaming back at me after it shot through 2-3 layers of moving blankets - ricocheting off the concrete wall - then returned back through the tear it created. The ones I used were some cheapo $10 moving blanket that quickly tore apart. Even when I tightly layered 4 to each other.

After some trial and error, ended up with this set-up

Nice!!! That's a big room to do that..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!