IGNORED

Your 2012 Golf Goals - Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sheesh...this might seem silly...but here goes.

• Take at least 6 complete weeks off . No swinging. No putting. Nothing. I had some issues with mental fatigue this year from grinding so hard the last few years, and a run of really ugly rounds and behavior on the course in the early summer. That wasn't cool, nor was it productive. I need time away this winter. Six weeks minimum, 8 weeks ideal. Last year I only did 4 weeks. Not enough.
  • Get in a little better shape . I want to get my core stronger and tighter so that I can be a little more consistent with my swing. I feel like if I had a more stable core, my overall swing and game would be more stable. I also had some odd injuries this year, and I can't help but feel that most of them boiled down to my back issues (which I can't do much about in the immediate future) and needing to strengthen my core (which I can do something about).
  • Drive the golf ball more consistently. I've made some strides to this end, but I feel like it ends up going sideways for me at some point in about 90% of my rounds. If I could drive the ball manageably during 80% of my rounds, I'd be a scratch. Inconsistency with the driver is the thing that kills me worst, that has me where I am - banging my head into a wall.
  • Be less 'cute' with my approach play. I hit my irons well. I'd say I'm an "A" iron player inside of 180 yards, and a B, B+ guy from 180-210. When I'm not hitting the shots into greens I want, it's because I overcomplicate it. Just need to take dead aim at a manageable target and do it in a straightforward way. I can hit my targets and numbers consistently and I need to start getting out of my own way.
  • Recommit myself to my short game. I really focused on full swing this year and my wedge game around the green suffered. I used to be a wedge wizard, now I can occasionally do a magic trick. Unacceptable. Gotta get that back. My putting has improved this year, primarily due to some techinical consistency and making a change back to a blade-style putter which has helped immensely - so I need to get the wedges back in order so I can fully profit from my improved putting.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Break 80 more than 4 times per year. Keep my New Adams A7s for the next 5 years instead of buying a different set every 6 months. Use my savings to perfect AimPoint (still no word via e-mail from my soon to be AimPoint instructor,..... distressing) and the rest of my short game.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

1. Getting back from the current 8 to the previous 5: I injured my left wrist and right elbow in April this year, after overdoing it on the range and being too avid-rabid in general - and a fiasco with a fairway bunker shot that I'd rather not elaborate upon. I lost 3-5 shots in general per round since April, dropping me from 5 to 8. I am still solid single-figure-good from 85 meters in, but need to find my swing on the longer clubs again, hitting more fairways, allowing my short game to kick in as quick as possible on every hole.

2. More 3-wood from the tee: Again, relying on driver and wedge + 2 putts for par will work for no-one consistently. I have to be willing to hit 3-wood more often, hitting more fairways, and be prepared to play a longer club in, still making good GIR's. I have already reconfigured my Titleist 910F 15 degree to a 14.2 degree to find a few extra meters and keep the ball flight lower.

3. Crisper Irons: Taking proper divots as I used to, not trying to sweep a 7 iron as if it was a hybrid. I am willing to invest in the new AP2's if they could aid me hitting proper divots again.

4. Play the 18th as if it was the 1st : I tend to drop concentration and lose some zest on the final hole, especially if I have been playing well. It aint over till the fat lady sings.

5. More dignity, less self-pity: No need to employ gynaecology jargon towards yourself when things go bad. You are not a c..t, even if you have just acted like one... No need for sulking either - golf is not an easy game, that is why you love it, remember?

1. Become a single digit handicap - got down to a 10.8 this year but couldn't put together a couple more good rounds to drop it to single digits.

2. Fix my driver slice- I could break 80 alot more if it wasn't for my inconsistency off the tee. My ball striking with irons and woods improved greatly this year but my driver is still my weak point. It can be anywhere from a baby fade to a banana ball 2 fairways over. I have to get it fixed in order to consistently break 80.

3. Break 80 at least 5 times- I only did it once this year (78), but shot 80 twice, 81 a couple times and alot of rounds from 82-85.

4. Get in better shape- this isn't so much a golf goal as a personal goal, but I believe the golf goals will come alot easier if I have better strength and flexibility.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

Judging by these stats for 2011, I'd say I need more work on iron play and putting.

64.4% Fairway

1.95 Putts

2.16 Putts after GIR

20.7% 3-Putt Avoidance

51.9% GIR
89.6% GIR+1

I've always been decent off the tee, mainly because I tend towards a flatter shoulder turn and the flatter plane of the driver has always been easier.  Anyway, this editor is driving me crazy, so here's the abbreviated list:

* Get new iron yardages

* Be a little less aggressive on approach shots

* Improve putting distance control

* Get GIR better than 64.4%

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My 2012 goals are going to be quite similar to my 2011 goals since I didn't get much done this year:

1) Work on getting my driver more accurate and increase my fairways percentage
2) Continue my quest for bowed wrist at impact which will increase the quality of my ball striking
3) Increase my practice and get MUCH more serious than 2011....I slacked off WAY too much and it showed
4) Get my handicap back below 5....hopefully closer to scratch
5) Play and be more competitive in more tournaments than the last few years. (0 in 2011)

6) Get my scores back in the mid to lower 70s where they once were.

7) Consistently keep my stats for the entire year (it sure would help to know the numbers)

and last but not least

8) Make a trip to Golf Evolution and meet the guys behind Evolvr.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

break 80!!  (still got time this year...)

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

After getting back into the game full time this year, I set some lofty goals this year in which most were unachieveable.

My goals for 2012 are:

• my game averages in the low 80's
  • finally get my handicap on paper
  • a more consistent short game
  • a more consistent swing and don't overthink every shot

I normally play with a group of guys who shoot in the 100's-120's. Another goal other than my golf game is to find other golfers who will push me to play harder and smarter.

Phillip

1)  Finish top 3 in a tournament.

2)  Continue to improve putting such that putting average is less than 30 putts/round.

3)  50% or better sand save percentage.

4)  50% or better save percentage from 30y in.

5)  75% or better fairways hit.

6)  60% or better GIR.

1.  Continue working on swing changes until they become natural.

2.  Get handicap into the + range.

3.  Play in more tournaments and hopefully win a couple.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

1. Shoot at least 72 round my home course (par 70)

2. Win Order of Merit

3. Come at least 2nd in Eclectic

4. Average <1.9 putts a hole

5. Persuade Cleveland to give me some free stuff!! ;)

I attempt to get round with:

SL290 Driver, 9*, 43S Shaft

FL Fairway, 15*, 43S Shaft

Burner Superfast 2.0 Hybrid, 18*, Reg. Shaft

CG16 Tour Black Pearl Irons, FST KBS Tour Reg+ Shafts

CG16 Black Pearl 48-8* Wedge

CG15 52-10*, 58-10*, 60-8* Wedges

Method 001 Putter

Logged 63 rounds during my first year to date & dozens of range sessions - this was my "catch up" year, and so far, I've played so much I've surpassed my bro's who've golfed 20+ years & at least equalled my office mates games.     Happy with the first year overall.      I think I can talk the wife into letting me get in 50 rounds next year.     Spend more time at the club practice range - at least one night at the range for every two nights on the course.     Continue to work on hitting proper divots with the wedges - ball first, ground after ... coming along, but still too many bladed shots & inconsistent with proper ball contact.     Most important thing is to develop a hip slide that doesn't tear up my old back & get the weight off my rear foot - gotta get that worked out, which is job #1.    I flirted with the 80's this year - want to get there on a consistent basis next year - thats my main goal.     Oh, and eliminate the blowout holes - every round, there's at least one 8 or 9 or worse ... this has got to stop.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Everyone wants to get better, but I'd be happy to just MAINTAIN and not get worse!!  If I can stay in the 1-2HC range.....I'm good with that.  It would be fun to record my lowest ever index beat my current record of 0.9, but if that doesn't happen I'm good with that too.

I do have one demoralizing habit that absolutely kills me............. "the shanks ".  IMO.....there is nothing more demoralizing than a shank.  Now that I think about it, my goal for 2012 is to get control of the shanks!!!  I swing from the inside and my hosel is always creeping very close to the ball and every once in awhile...POW.....I hit one sideways and the result is usually a double-bogey.  I'd love to be able to play golf SHANK FREE!!!!!!   If I can eliminate shank-doubleBogs from my card in 2012, I'd be a very happy man.

LOL

At this point, I can't imagine such a game....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!