IGNORED

Road to becoming a professional golfer

Travis Robinson
Note: This thread is 2335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't know how you're doing now.  I hope you are still following your dream.

Along the way there will be many who want to disillusion you, tell you that you are crazy and that it will never happen.

If you're still reading Rotella then you will know that you cannot allow any negative thinking to get a foot hold and work to destroy your confidence.  Keep trying young man.  Remember that life will throw curves at you along the way.  The important thing is to follow your dreams.  Even if you don't make it as a pro there a many, many opportunities to work and play in the golf world.  Teaching Instructor comes to mind, club pro, whatever.  Just don't let those who never made it for what ever reason, those who never achieved their dreams or those who are jealous derail you from what you feel is right for you.

There are many of us out here who are rooting for you.  Even if you don't make it, those who wish you the best will still respect and admire you for at least trying.

Driver: Ben Hogan Speed Slot 1 Wood Fairway Wood: Ben Hogan Speed Slot 4 Wood Irons: Ben Hogan 1961 Power Thrust Wedges: Wilson JP II SW Putter: Spalding T.P. Mills #6

Originally Posted by JesseV

Don't know how you're doing now.  I hope you are still following your dream.

Along the way there will be many who want to disillusion you, tell you that you are crazy and that it will never happen.

Common attitude.

If you want support from people to do things, forget it

Do your thing, become better.

Robert Something

Thanks everyone, and thanks for those last couple of posts. All is well, I'm improving and working on my goals. I just paid off my student loans and I'm going to become debt free before 2013 ends. That's about 43k in a year which is crazy, one of my big goals that will definitely help along the road. I've been getting fit, I've lost 20 pounds and am really trying to be conscientious of staying fit and injury free. I've been working with golftec still to create a sound and repeating swing. I'm signing up for a handful of tournaments this summer. I've gotten fitted for some nice MP64s which are so freakin nice. New taylormade r1 driver which I love. This year besides continually restructuring my swing, I'm going to focus intensely on my 100 yards and in game. Still on track with all goals, be scratch and have money saved up and move to Florida by 2015. All is well everyone! Follow me on twitter as I check that more than I check this, but I'll be on here from time to time. Follow me here @travdaddy226 Take care and well wishes!

Can I ask what you do for living? You can PM if you want. I'm trying to become pro like you but without any backup plan or a job. Golf without school, work or any back up plan is extremely stressful. Some days when I shoot in the 80s I feel like giving up, not have any talent to make it. Even when I hit bucket after bucket I just lose confidence in myself. Don't give up man! Most pros have been playing over 13+yrs before turning pro. Even if you turn pro in 10yrs it'll be all worth it. what are your distance like?

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by golf55

Can I ask what you do for living? You can PM if you want. I'm trying to become pro like you but without any backup plan or a job. Golf without school, work or any back up plan is extremely stressful. Some days when I shoot in the 80s I feel like giving up, not have any talent to make it. Even when I hit bucket after bucket I just lose confidence in myself. Don't give up man! Most pros have been playing over 13+yrs before turning pro. Even if you turn pro in 10yrs it'll be all worth it. what are your distance like?

Have a buddy who had a similar dream...he was good at sales and supported his golf habit through telemarketing.  He got down to about a scratch, won a club championship and I saw he cashed a small check in a 50+ age event but don't think he has ever qualified for a PGA or Champions Tour event.  Work in AM, Golf in PM, no kids and lots of GFs...not a bad life style if you are into those things.

So, 6.2 is the current index?   I don't feel like reading through the entire thread, but when was he planning/scheduled to be scratch?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Travis Robinson

Thanks everyone, and thanks for those last couple of posts. All is well, I'm improving and working on my goals. I just paid off my student loans and I'm going to become debt free before 2013 ends. That's about 43k in a year which is crazy, one of my big goals that will definitely help along the road. I've been getting fit, I've lost 20 pounds and am really trying to be conscientious of staying fit and injury free. I've been working with golftec still to create a sound and repeating swing. I'm signing up for a handful of tournaments this summer. I've gotten fitted for some nice MP64s which are so freakin nice. New taylormade r1 driver which I love. This year besides continually restructuring my swing, I'm going to focus intensely on my 100 yards and in game. Still on track with all goals, be scratch and have money saved up and move to Florida by 2015. All is well everyone! Follow me on twitter as I check that more than I check this, but I'll be on here from time to time. Follow me here @travdaddy226 Take care and well wishes!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

So, 6.2 is the current index?   I don't feel like reading through the entire thread, but when was he planning/scheduled to be scratch?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by France46

Have a buddy who had a similar dream...he was good at sales and supported his golf habit through telemarketing.  He got down to about a scratch, won a club championship and I saw he cashed a small check in a 50+ age event but don't think he has ever qualified for a PGA or Champions Tour event.  Work in AM, Golf in PM, no kids and lots of GFs...not a bad life style if you are into those things.

plays 50+ events? so I'm guessing your friend is over 50+? How does he have so many gfs at that age. I'm in my 20s and have hard time meeting girls.

golf55 wrote: I'm guessing your friend is over 50+? How does he have so many gfs at that age. I'm in my 20s and have hard time meeting girls. ---------------------------------------- Single women in their 40's and 50's are much more desperate than girls in their 20's....that's how.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

plays 50+ events? so I'm guessing your friend is over 50+? How does he have so many gfs at that age. I'm in my 20s and have hard time meeting girls.

Is that you in the avatar?  If it is, girls might be a little turned off by the Ronald McDonald outfit ;)

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

plays 50+ events? so I'm guessing your friend is over 50+?

Incredible guess! How did you figure it out? :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

golf55 wrote:

I'm guessing your friend is over 50+? How does he have so many gfs at that age. I'm in my 20s and have hard time meeting girls.

Single women in their 40's and 50's are much more desperate than girls in their 20's....that's how.

That is probably true, but not the answer as he dates mostly girls in their 20s but occasionally a bit younger or older.  He has dated several playmates over the years and most of the girls he dates are still pretty hot.

He is a really good looking guy who made more money doing golf related commercials than he ever did playing the game.  He puts A LOT of effort into chatting up girls and doesn't mind spending money on them either (especially now that he is older), but I think his secret weapon is flattery.  It seems insincere to me, but it is amazing how many girls go for compliments like you are the most/best beautiful/looking ...fill in the blank.

That is probably true, but not the answer as he dates mostly girls in their 20s but occasionally a bit younger or older.  He has dated several playmates over the years and most of the girls he dates are still pretty hot.

He is a really good looking guy who made more money doing golf related commercials than he ever did playing the game.  He puts A LOT of effort into chatting up girls and doesn't mind spending money on them either (especially now that he is older), but I think his secret weapon is flattery.  It seems insincere to me, but it is amazing how many girls go for compliments like you are the most/best beautiful/looking ...fill in the blank.

Sounds like a complete sleazebag. Amazing also, how he's a "buddy" of yours, you're a golf nut, but you don't know if he ever qualified for a PGA tour or Champions Tour event.

My guess is that you hardly know him and you believe every piece of BS he spins your way.

Your challenge is as follows:

i) Name ONE playmate he has dated.

ii) Identify these lucrative golf commercials.

Betchacantdoit.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Sounds like a complete sleazebag. Amazing also, how he's a "buddy" of yours, you're a golf nut, but you don't know if he ever qualified for a PGA tour or Champions Tour event.

My guess is that you hardly know him and you believe every piece of BS he spins your way.

Your challenge is as follows:

i) Name ONE playmate he has dated.

ii) Identify these lucrative golf commercials.

Betchacantdoit.

What is the wager amount?  FWIW, I am 99.9% sure that he hasn't qualified for any of those events, but was closer with him 5+ years ago than I am now so hedged with my statement.

Other than the gratuitous compliments, why does he sound like a sleazebag?

Other than the gratuitous compliments, why does he sound like a sleazebag?

You're the one who said he's 50 and wrote "he dates mostly girls in their 20s but occasionally a bit younger".

Originally Posted by Shorty

You're the one who said he's 50 and wrote "he dates mostly girls in their 20s but occasionally a bit younger".

Yea, so why does that make him a sleazebag?  When I said a bit younger, I meant 19, not illegal.

I think he finds that girls in their 30s become more fixated about settling down, unattached girls in their 40s tend to have some baggage and/or resentment towards men while girls in their 20s are more interested in having fun and are less apt to hassle him.

I think you are just being jealous and grumpy.

Yea, so why does that make him a sleazebag?  When I said a bit younger, I meant 19, not illegal.

I think he finds that girls in their 30s become more fixated about settling down, unattached girls in their 40s tend to have some baggage and/or resentment towards men while girls in their 20s are more interested in having fun and are less apt to hassle him.

I think the more likely scenario is that he enjoys the company of prostitutes but tells his "buddies" that they are playmates and that they find guys in their 50s "fun" and cool to be with.

The fact that you refer to all women - be they in their 20s or 40s as"girls" is quite instructive, BTW.

I'll bet the ones in their 20s are quite apt to "hassle" him when the wallet is closed.

Yea, so why does that make him a sleazebag?

So dating someone younger means sleazebag? I'm pretty jealous of the guy, in his 50s and getting more girls than I am. He's living the dream, dating young hot girls while playing golf. Most guys would kill to have his lifestyle.

Note: This thread is 2335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!