IGNORED

Yani Interested in Playing with the Men

iacas
Note: This thread is 4560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe the truth likely lies between Shorty's view and everyone else's. Some advantages .... probably. Allowed to skate through .... probably not.

Originally Posted by Shorty

The marketer's dream of the holy trinity - beauty, brains and a great golf game - has eventuated into a "2 out of three ain't bad" story.

I suppose it's up to all of us to decide which of the three we want to discount, or, if in fact we don't discount any of the three.

We have seen her play golf.

We have seen her interviewed numerous times.

We have seen her breaking a rule and not taking responsibility.

We have seen her trying to explain her actions. Lying through her teeth. She didn't account for herself very well. Doesn't make her stupid, but not a bad impersonation.

She didn't even have the wit to back out when she had the chance.

I have no judgement on her appearance, and she's done very well for herself.

I would love to see her get some more wins on the LPGA because it would revitalise the game.  And that is sorely needed.

I have zero desire to see her or Tseng on the PGA Tour.

Oh.... back to Yani. Sorry for the digression.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just to play devil's advocate, I feel like it would be good press too for Stanford if Michelle flunked out. They could say "hey, you can't skate through on your celeb status here."

EDIT: I just realized Shorty isn't talking about her flunking out.

Constantine

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50339070/Course-List

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/03/09/1046687/

There are some real beauties there -

Financial Literacy

Global Entrpeneurial Marketing

Int; Security in Changing World

Social Dances in North Aerica III

Acting For Non Majors

Sleep and Dreams

Public Speaking

Ok, nearly every school has some of these classes.  That doesn't mean all of their athletes are taking, or encouraged to take of them.  Is Wie enrolled in any of these classes?

Heck I went to a private college with a great educational reputation and took golf and coaching baseball as part of my studies.  Basically all students of all majors take classes like these.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Rather than debate Michelle's intelligence, I'd like to weigh in on the original discussion.  Yani playing on PGA Tour.  My guess is Yani will play.  There is at least a couple venues that would love the additional attention of her showing up....Especially during a week that the LPGA is off with their enemic schedule.  How will she do?  Depends on her game level at the time.  There's a few tracks that are not exceptionally long where she could realistically make the cut.  If her game was spot on she could possibly finish in a top 10 position.  Ultimately it would be good for both the PGA Tour and the LPGA.

Originally Posted by FLOG4

Rather than debate Michelle's intelligence, I'd like to weigh in on the original discussion.  Yani playing on PGA Tour.  My guess is Yani will play.  There is at least a couple venues that would love the additional attention of her showing up....Especially during a week that the LPGA is off with their enemic schedule.  How will she do?  Depends on her game level at the time.  There's a few tracks that are not exceptionally long where she could realistically make the cut.  If her game was spot on she could possibly finish in a top 10 position.  Ultimately it would be good for both the PGA Tour and the LPGA.

I really don't think she will. And nor does she need to. I really like her too. I think she's got great presence, and I love her game.

She will dominate the women's tour and what is thn point of drawing attention to the differences between the top male and female golfers?

I think it is better for her to dominate in her own field, rather than simply try to make a cut on the PGA Tour. She doesn't need to be patronised by being patted on the back for coming 59th or whatever in a tournament with a  crappy field.

But.....if she did play, I would certainly rooting for her to do well, rather than rooting for people like Jerry Rice who got a serious reality check handed to him when hen thought he might have a career on the Nationwide tour. That was fun.

She's also more fun to watch than a pouting and scowling Paula Creamer or the Anna Kourniova of golf, Natalie Gulbis.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

First of all, I'm not sure what she would learn from 78-76 MC, other than the men are really good and compared to them, she isn't.

But seriously, now. Are there still men who would get all huffy because they don't want to be beaten by a girl? I mean, isn't it time they grew up? And this "make [insert party] look bad" stuff. Oh, good grief.

Originally Posted by Pope33

I say let her try a tourney or two. I would watch, and I think most people on this website would watch.

My thoughts exactly.  And they're talking about inviting her to the Puerto Rico Open, which is always the boring step-sister of the WGC event going on that week.  I'd be much more interested in watching to see if she can beat a large percentage of the middle of the road PGA players than I would be in watching a bunch of guys who couldn't get in to the WGC event just play each other.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Surfed by Morning Drive and these are Yani's issues:

Yani - long on the LPGA for tee distance; would be dead last on PGA Tour.

Yani's accuracy is not good off the tee.

The Colonial would be a good choice if she was accurate.

Where is she going to find a short, wide open course on the PGA Tour?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

In a way I wouldn't mind seeing Yani play in a men's tournament on a sponsor's exemption.  She would learn more from playing them in a competitive situation that she would by just watching them.  But like some have said, what she would learn is that she's not that good compared to them.

As far as I can tell, Michelle Wie is intelligent, her parents are college professors, and she probably got into Stanford on merit.  It's quite possible to be intelligent and still come across as an airhead, using the words "like" and "you know" in just about every sentence in an interview.

Originally Posted by unabowler

It's quite possible to be intelligent and still come across as an airhead, using the words "like" and "you know" in just about every sentence in an interview.

Exactly. Stephen Hawking anybody? Smarter than a brain pie.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

It's quite possible to be intelligent and still come across as an airhead, using the words "like" and "you know" in just about every sentence in an interview.

That's true. I consider myself fairly intelligent, but I would come off like a babbling idiot if I was being interviewed, I'm just terrible at public speaking.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I'm just terrible at public speaking.

Ditto. Which brings us back to the courses mentioned above. Public Speaking is one of the best courses you can take at college. It is amazing how poor most people are when speaking in public.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Back to Yani. I'm sure it'll happen, I just hope they don't try to make a regular thing of it to the point it becomes a distraction or gets in the way of her playing LPGA events. The LPGA Tour needs it's stars playing on it's tour.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

The marketer's dream of the holy trinity - beauty, brains and a great golf game - has eventuated into a "2 out of three ain't bad" story.

I suppose it's up to all of us to decide which of the three we want to discount, or, if in fact we don't discount any of the three.

We have seen her play golf.

We have seen her interviewed numerous times.

We have seen her breaking a rule and not taking responsibility.

We have seen her trying to explain her actions. Lying through her teeth. She didn't account for herself very well. Doesn't make her stupid, but not a bad impersonation.

She didn't even have the wit to back out when she had the chance.

I have no judgement on her appearance, and she's done very well for herself.

I would love to see her get some more wins on the LPGA because it would revitalise the game.  And that is sorely needed.

I have zero desire to see her or Tseng on the PGA Tour.

Oh.... back to Yani. Sorry for the digression.

You sure do like to judge people based on anecdotal information. Why do you feel the need to do this at all? Michelle Wie was not part of this conversation until you decided to hijack the thread because apparently you don't like this young woman.

This same old experiment again?  May as well let her try and fail.  We must need to keep rehashing the same tired old arguments over and over and over because it helps us waste time.  You know, some scientists are starting to think that men and women are actually different !?  In fact, here's a brilliant eye-opener:

" Dr. Cindy Chang, chief medical officer for the U.S. Olympic Committee, said studies have shown that men have greater upper-body strength than women "

Also, girls talk more than guys.  I added that one free of charge from the wealth of scientific wisdom stored in my head.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by MSchott

You sure do like to judge people based on anecdotal information. Why do you feel the need to do this at all? Michelle Wie was not part of this conversation until you decided to hijack the thread because apparently you don't like this young woman.

Why don't you read the thread?

Of course Michelle Wie is part of the conversation. People don't want (or do want) Tseng to make te same mistakes that Wie made in thinking that she could compete with the men.

The comparison is a reasonable one.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The Colonial would be a good choice if she was accurate.

Yeah, I was already thinking of the Colonial. That's probably a reasonably good fit for her. TPC Deere Run might play well for her as well. The problem, though, is that any course suited for her is going to be a birdie fest for the men. With winning scores usually around -15 and -22 (respectively), she won't contend. The cuts were, respectively, -1 and -4 this year for those tournaments. Shooting par on the opening day forces you to play better the next day just to squeak past the cut.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Why don't you read the thread?

Of course Michelle Wie is part of the conversation. People don't want (or do want) Tseng to make te same mistakes that Wie made in thinking that she could compete with the men.

The comparison is a reasonable one.

I understand that part. But you had to go and assault Wie's intelligence. What's the point of that?

Regarding Tseng playing with the men, I don't know her motivation but I guarantee she knows she cannot compete. I'm guessing that she wants to see how well she can do and get some publicity. It's not a big deal and will be fun.

Note: This thread is 4560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!