IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

I'm not really concerned with muscles or strength at the moment, I just want to be thinner.  To be honest, I never really made a conscious effort to say I'm getting healthy now or anything like that.

It's all been a bit serendipitous to this point.  I chose to stop drinking soda, then felt a bit better, then a co-worker got himself a fitbit (wife already had one) and after talking for awhile I decided to get one for myself.  And now all of a sudden its a game where we're competing to see who can take the most steps.  The fact that I can actually style it as a game helps me a lot.  Just running or cycling or ellipticall-ing  for the sake of doing it is not nearly as fun as doing it to reach specific immediate goals.

Yeah, I didn't really think about it much.  I just figured that this was something that I could do over the winter (since all the snow and cold outside doesn't really lend itself to outdoor practice) that might help me reach my golf goal of regularly shooting in the 90's and get my HC in the low 20's.  Not really the most honorable reason to do this but I figure losing 50 pounds and getting to 225 by losing fat while gaining muscle would help me a lot.  I might be deluding myself but I don't really see a downside to doing this (besides possible disappointment, obviously).

I just think I probably have to come up with a routine for the treadmill which won't make me dread it because if all I think of is, "how long until it's over," I'm going to find reasons not to do it.  I've listened to music and have popped on golf related videos on my phone and I think what it really boils down to is I just have to adjust it in a way where the higher speeds that I run don't have me thinking, "how much more do I have to do?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteTruths

That would be a good idea. You get plenty cardio doing strength training. Also current research shows that steady state cardio is not only

not effective but is harmful to your cardiovascular system. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is all you need if you want cardio benefits

and that only once or twice a week.

I'm not really sure what HIIT is but I changed up my cardio today and structured my run as follows:

Speed MPH Incline Minutes
3 3* 3
4.5 3* 3
5.5 3* 2
4.5 3* 2
5.5 3* 2
4.5 3* 2
6 3* 2
4.5 3* 2
6 3* 0.5
6.5 3* 1
6 3* 0.5
4.5 3* 3
3 3* 2

A total of 25 minutes and burned 450 calories.

It was pull day today:

Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Upright rows 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Dumbbell Curls 10 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps

I was also proud of my cheat day yesterday, 2175 total calories, only 425 calories over my daily goal.  However, I went over by 235g on my target of 109 carbs per day so not sure if that will impact me.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back into the gym today after battling a wicked cold all weekend. Have deadlifted semi-sumo style for over a year now but the hips have been barking at me a bit so today I initiated deadlifting conventional again. Kept it light focusing on staying compact with good form. After warmup 135 x 8 185 x 8 205 x 8 225 x 8 Can really tell Im going to need a few weeks focusing on good form before it becomes routine and I can start pulling heavy again. But man, gotta love the squat and the dealift for overall gains. Thursday will be squats/lunges and some SLDL's. Cut it short because injust had to take advantage of the mild weather here in Missouri. Hour and a half on the range followed by 15 minutes of low/mid back stretches. Forecast for wed. is 60 degrees, Im certainly not going to let the day go to waste and I feel for you guys in the NE bracing for the big storm.

I'm not really sure what HIIT is but I changed up my cardio today and structured my run as follows:

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. Here is a definition from Wikipedia.

High-intensity interval training ( HIIT ), also called high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT) , is an enhanced form of interval training , an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise . Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 4–30 minutes. These short, intense workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition , improved glucose metabolism , and improved fat burning.

And here is the conclusion to a study done by the University of NM:

Final Verdict: And the Winner of the Battle of the Aerobic Titans is…
The major goals of most endurance exercise programs are to improve cardiovascular, metabolic, and skeletal muscle function in the body. For years continuous aerobic exercise has been the chosen method to achieve these goals. However, research shows that HIIT leads to similar and in some cases better improvements in shorter periods of time with some physiological markers. Incorporating HIIT (at the appropriate level of intensity and frequency) into a client's cardiovascular training allows exercise enthusiasts to reach their goals in a very time efficient manner. And, since both HIIT and continuous aerobic exercise programs improve all of these meaningful physiological and metabolic functions of the human body, incorporating a balance of both programs for clients in their training is clearly the 'win win' approach for successful cardiovascular exercise improvement and performance. GO HIIT and GO Endurance!

Doug

Our elliptical is in our bedroom pointed at the TV.  I throw the headphones on and rock out to music AND put the TV on golf channel and that seems to pretty easily break the monotony.  I also find that there is a point 6,7,8 minutes in where I cross over from disliking it and being bored/wishing I was done to "I wonder how long I can keep up this pace?  This feels great!"

Full disclosure though:  I'm also only 1 or 2 weeks into actually making an effort to get into shape.  Let's hope I still have the same motivation in 3 months.

This is so true.

I run 5-7 miles a day, the first mile is always the hardest.  More often than not, I feel like quitting during that first mile - even after having been running for the last 15 years or so.  But once I am over that first mile, it feels like I can go on forever.

Gotta get to that "runner's high" - that is the hardest part.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yeah, but you go to the gym for that, right?

I also do it at home, can do kettlebells anywhere. I like going to the gym/class once or twice a week because I would never push myself that hard at home.

That would be a good idea. You get plenty cardio doing strength training. Also current research shows that steady state cardio is not only

not effective but is harmful to your cardiovascular system. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is all you need if you want cardio benefits

and that only once or twice a week.

Yeah, steady state is ok at first but then your metabolism starts to adapt. Then you basically have to do the same amount of steady state just to maintain.

Today's workout

Bench 5x5 155

Weighted dips 6x3, this was the 5th set http://instagram.com/p/yU1tPPiH8i/

Trap bar presses with 10lbs on it 4 max sets

Deadlift 4x5 185

and kettlebell class.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. Here is a definition from Wikipedia.

High-intensity interval training (HIIT), also called high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT), is an enhanced form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 4–30 minutes. These short, intense workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition, improved glucose metabolism, and improved fat burning.

And here is the conclusion to a study done by the University of NM:

Final Verdict: And the Winner of the Battle of the Aerobic Titans is…

The major goals of most endurance exercise programs are to improve cardiovascular, metabolic, and skeletal muscle function in the body. For years continuous aerobic exercise has been the chosen method to achieve these goals. However, research shows that HIIT leads to similar and in some cases better improvements in shorter periods of time with some physiological markers. Incorporating HIIT (at the appropriate level of intensity and frequency) into a client's cardiovascular training allows exercise enthusiasts to reach their goals in a very time efficient manner. And, since both HIIT and continuous aerobic exercise programs improve all of these meaningful physiological and metabolic functions of the human body, incorporating a balance of both programs for clients in their training is clearly the 'win win' approach for successful cardiovascular exercise improvement and performance. GO HIIT and GO Endurance!

It sounds like it's mixing up the speeds like I do rather than one straight continuous run at the same speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

I also do it at home, can do kettlebells anywhere. I like going to the gym/class once or twice a week because I would never push myself that hard at home.

Ahh.  I've done the gym membership thing before and I'm not good at going if I'm going alone.

The only time I was good at going someplace to workout was when I did a boot camp 3 times a week over the course of a 4 month period and that was become I felt I was accountable and also wasn't going to waste the significant amount of money that it cost me.

Christian

Still not lifting. Recovery went from good to bad. Infected and causing me issues....on antibiotic #2. They removed the sutures early yesterday because they were causing issues...I noticed they missed one this morning, so I removed it myself. Bad idea lol

On the bright side, I'm down to 152.2 lbs. That's about 26-27 lbs lost since October.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Barbell rows 5x5 185, overhand and under

Tire Flips

Hammer Swings 30 on each side, the 20

Bench 1 rep at 185, then a couple max sets at 135

Kettlebell class

Mike McLoughlin

Still not lifting. Recovery went from good to bad. Infected and causing me issues....on antibiotic #2. They removed the sutures early yesterday because they were causing issues...I noticed they missed one this morning, so I removed it myself. Bad idea lol

On the bright side, I'm down to 152.2 lbs. That's about 26-27 lbs lost since October.

Damn, dude, feel for you.

152.2?  How tall are you if you don't mind my asking?

Woke up this morning, jumped on the scale and saw something that put a smile to my face, my weight was under 260 (259.7) - 18 pounds in 7 weeks!  Was very happy with it.

Then I proceeded to have my egg whites and ham breakfast with my 2 servings of my smoothie which included two protein bars - 888 calories for breakfast, 380 more than normal!  It scared me a little since I try and limit my daily calorie intake to 1,750. However, the breakfast kept me full until the late lunch I had which was 5.8oz breast of chicken from the night before, 6oz tuna fish salad for dinner, and a few other things for 1,642 for the day.

Also worked out today and I think overdid the treadmill.  In an effort burn 500 calories, I mixed up my final sprint of 6 MPH for 2 minutes to 15 seconds at 6MPH, 30 seconds at 6.5MPH, 30 seconds at 7MPH, 30 seconds at 6.5MPH, and 30 seconds at 6MPH.  Kind of wiped me out so I don't think I'll do that again, haha.  Anyway, so I ended up burning 503 calories.  Also did strength training:

Dumbbell Squats 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Lunges 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Calf Raises 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps
Dumbbell Deadlifts 30 lbs. x 3 sets x 12 reps

Christian

Damn, dude, feel for you.

152.2?  How tall are you if you don't mind my asking?

Woke up this morning, jumped on the scale and saw something that put a smile to my face, my weight was under 260 (259.7) - 18 pounds in 7 weeks!  Was very happy with it.

No worries, I'll live.

I'm about 5'8"-5'8.5".

Well done...nothing beats indisputable evidence of success.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

No worries, I'll live.

I'm about 5'8"-5'8.5".

Well done...nothing beats indisputable evidence of success.

I'm sure, just sucks that you have to go through it.  But, hey, better now than during golf season, right? ;-)

Hoping to be firmly in the 250's for a while as the scale read 258.8 this morning.  Hopefully I don't overdue it on Super Bowl Sunday. :-)

Christian

Congrats!

Mike McLoughlin

Congrats!

Thanks.  I'm almost 2 months in and feeling motivated everyday to keep on a good nutrition path.  Just have to be disciplined if I decide to continue using the treadmill, haha.

Christian

Congrats!! Well done!  I did the same this morning and came up at 278 (277.8 but I can't imagine that my scale is really that precise so I'll stick with round numbers).  I don't really have a hard starting point though.  I gave up the diet soda, basically on a whim, about a month ago, then got the Fitbit 2 Sundays ago.  The Monday after that was the first day I hopped back on the elliptical in yhfjdshfuiwhfsdkjf days :-P so I'll guess I'll call that my official "get healthy" start date.  January 18th.  Started tracking steps, exercise, water intake and caloric intake.  On the 18th, I weighed 285.

So, down 7 pounds in 11 days so far.  Not too bad.

P.S.  You know what is some good motivation while on the elliptical (or treadmill too, I'm sure)?  Watching the finale of The Biggest Loser while running. ;)

Congrats!! Well done!  I did the same this morning and came up at 278 (277.8 but I can't imagine that my scale is really that precise so I'll stick with round numbers).  I don't really have a hard starting point though.  I gave up the diet soda, basically on a whim, about a month ago, then got the Fitbit 2 Sundays ago.  The Monday after that was the first day I hopped back on the elliptical in yhfjdshfuiwhfsdkjf days  so I'll guess I'll call that my official "get healthy" start date.  January 18th.  Started tracking steps, exercise, water intake and caloric intake.  On the 18th, I weighed 285.

So, down 7 pounds in 11 days so far.  Not too bad.

P.S.  You know what is some good motivation while on the elliptical (or treadmill too, I'm sure)?  Watching the finale of The Biggest Loser while running. ;)

Very nice, sir!  7 pounds in 11 days is def a sick rate for weight loss.

Do you have a goal in mind or are you just looking for a lifestyle change?

I've never seen the Biggest Loser but I did bring up my laptop the other day and put on a movie.  It helped pass the time until I did the crazy 7MPH on the treadmill, then I was just hoping to stay alive, haha.

Christian

I've never seen the Biggest Loser but I did bring up my laptop the other day and put on a movie.  It helped pass the time until I did the crazy 7MPH on the treadmill, then I was just hoping to stay alive, haha.

I actually do not really have a specific goal, it's more just about feeling better and trying to help ensure that my back stays healthy.  However, to setup the fitness plan on the fitbit, it asked me for a goal weight, so I gave it 215.  That may be a tad low for my height/body type, so I may re-evaluate as I get closer, but it's good for now.

I don't watch that show either, but my wife likes to watch the finales, and it happened to be on last night.  It's hard not to be inspired when you watch the stories of guys who went from 460 pounds one day to 230 pounds 5 or 6 months later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I actually do not really have a specific goal, it's more just about feeling better and trying to help ensure that my back stays healthy.  However, to setup the fitness plan on the fitbit, it asked me for a goal weight, so I gave it 215.  That may be a tad low for my height/body type, so I may re-evaluate as I get closer, but it's good for now.

I don't watch that show either, but my wife likes to watch the finales, and it happened to be on last night.  It's hard not to be inspired when you watch the stories of guys who went from 460 pounds one day to 230 pounds 5 or 6 months later.

Wow, that is impressive. . .

I'm holding at a "trim" 201. :-X , but I think my body type and age (light to leaning medium) has me at 170-175 pounds at 5'10.5" with something like 15% body fat.

Not really sure how low I can get to and still be healthy, but at one time on a vegan diet I was at 158 pounds. I had a six pack, sigh, to be young again. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ahh, well, good luck.  I'm sure feeling better will help your golf game, too. :-)

Wow, that is impressive. . .

I'm holding at a "trim" 201. , but I think my body type and age (light to leaning medium) has me at 170-175 pounds at 5'10.5" with something like 15% body fat.

Not really sure how low I can get to and still be healthy, but at one time on a vegan diet I was at 158 pounds. I had a six pack, sigh, to be young again. . .

I'm always amazed by the BMI charts.  According to the chart, at 5'10.5", 175 pounds, you'd be on the border between normal and overweight.

The BMI chart considers me obese, yet, what I picture in my head as obese is very different than what I see when I look in the mirror.  Am I overweight, absolutely, but if I get down to 225, I'll just nudge into the overweight category and wouldn't be normal unless I got down to 186 which.  I'm not sure how someone with my body type (wide shoulders, big back) would look.  Then again, maybe my definition of normal isn't realistic.

This is the table I used: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf

Christian