IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

PR day with the barbell. Goal is to eventually deadlift double my body weight (330-340).

And KB class

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Leverage Squats: 200 lbs x 25, 290 x 20, 380 x 12, 430 x 8

Vertical Leg Press:  4 sets of 430 x 15

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• Administrator

I'm playing a little soccer later. I played disc golf. Otherwise, meh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Bench press, thrusters and strict presses

and class

Mike McLoughlin

After getting a bit of a shock back in February when I topped the scales at 224, I figured I better think about backing off a bit. I joined a gym around the corner from work, and started a program of just walking to start out. A couple of weeks later I talked to a trainer and went over what I wanted to do and what my restrictions were. Arthritic knees, bad back and some rotator cuff issues that I've been working around ruled out a few things. No jogging because of the knees, Not a lot of twisting and yanking because of the back, and because of the shoulder, not a lot of over head grabbing and such. (odd thing- The rotator cuff can be excruciating at times doing certain things... except golf. My swing is unaffected and there is no pain. It must be in the exact right slot to avoid any problems. One reason why I've put off having any real work on it, besides cost issues) So, the program basically came down to eat less (that was kind of obvious), And 4 days a week of walking a mile or so on treadmill at a decent clip (3.5mph), Then onto either the recumbent or upright cycle thing for 40-60 minutes in a "Fat Burn" mode (try to maintain a HB of 112 for duration). After that, a "cool down" of about 10 minutes on the step climber thing at an easy level. Before starting I will do about 100 reps on the Ab-swing, then repeat after the bike and the steps. I walk when we play nine at the local spot, and the occasional 18 if it's allowed. About the eating less, I never really changed what I eat, I just had less. So instead of 3 slices of pizza, it would be 2. Or I might actually read the serving size on the pasta box and adjust instead of just using half the box for a serving. So- since March when I started I am down to 202, and have increased my available pant quotient by a bit. Pants that were in the closet and too small now fit, and the ones I was wearing are practically falling off. Has it helped my game? absolutely not... but I do feel better about it..

After getting a bit of a shock back in February when I topped the scales at 224, I figured I better think about backing off a bit. I joined a gym around the corner from work, and started a program of just walking to start out. A couple of weeks later I talked to a trainer and went over what I wanted to do and what my restrictions were. Arthritic knees, bad back and some rotator cuff issues that I've been working around ruled out a few things. No jogging because of the knees, Not a lot of twisting and yanking because of the back, and because of the shoulder, not a lot of over head grabbing and such. (odd thing- The rotator cuff can be excruciating at times doing certain things... except golf. My swing is unaffected and there is no pain. It must be in the exact right slot to avoid any problems. One reason why I've put off having any real work on it, besides cost issues) So, the program basically came down to eat less (that was kind of obvious), And 4 days a week of walking a mile or so on treadmill at a decent clip (3.5mph), Then onto either the recumbent or upright cycle thing for 40-60 minutes in a "Fat Burn" mode (try to maintain a HB of 112 for duration). After that, a "cool down" of about 10 minutes on the step climber thing at an easy level. Before starting I will do about 100 reps on the Ab-swing, then repeat after the bike and the steps. I walk when we play nine at the local spot, and the occasional 18 if it's allowed. About the eating less, I never really changed what I eat, I just had less. So instead of 3 slices of pizza, it would be 2. Or I might actually read the serving size on the pasta box and adjust instead of just using half the box for a serving. So- since March when I started I am down to 202, and have increased my available pant quotient by a bit. Pants that were in the closet and too small now fit, and the ones I was wearing are practically falling off. Has it helped my game? absolutely not... but I do feel better about it..

Nice work dude, you made it sound very easy! Was it?

Henry

Hardest part was committing to the program from the start. Having the gym literally one block from the office made it the most convenient and easiest way to go (especially at only $10 a month at a Planet Fitness). If it wasn't hard (not really "hard", just harder than just going home and reclining to watch TV), it wouldn't have done the job so far. I hit the 2 week wall and thought about "well, maybe I'll skip tonight", until I figured that would carry on the next night, and the next, etc... So If I'm a bit 'off' on the day, I'll just do an easier bike ride for 40 minutes on an easy setting. Easy schedule, Mon-Thur then I'll take Friday off- I go to the beach on Saturdays or Sundays and if there are no waves I'll swim. If there are, I'll go surfing for a couple of hours. Then if we play, I'll walk if it's allowed as I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a 3.75 mile run.  I am getting ready for a 10 mile race in October so I plan on running between 15-25 miles a week for the next six weeks.  I also did some stability ball crunches, around the world planks, stability ball push-ups, and stability ball db bench press.

Lots of stationary bike-riding for me.  Hit a low of 167.2lbs last week, even though I can't run anymore.  Lots of wall-sits and upper-body/core exercises lately have kept me feeling like I'm still working out.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm now back at university so no golf for me but back in the gym.

I will be following a 4 day split: chest&triceps;, back&biceps;, shoulders&core;, legs. Probably taking a rest day every third day or so.

I am aiming to bulk up to somewhere near 67-68kg from 64.2kg weighed yesterday. To do this i will be aiming to consume 100g+ of protein per day and at least 2500kcals but aiming for >3000kcals whilst lifting with maximal time under tension for 15-20 sets per day in the 10-12 rep range. I will be going heavy on squats and deadlifts though, goal is to get to a 140kg deadlift and 110kg squat from around 120 and 100 at present.

This week i am going to ease myself into it though after 3 weeks off, so lifting pretty light and lots of stretching. Workout yesterday:

Bench press 4 sets

DB incline bench 4 sets

Dips 4 sets

Cable flys 3 sets

Cable overhead triceps extensions with rope 3 sets

Cable pushdowns 3 sets

Henry

Wednesday's workout after not working out for two weeks....pretty sore today :cry:

Mike McLoughlin

I've been using the strong lifts app on my iPhone.  It focuses on the really simple (and essential if you ask me) lifts- squat, bench deadlift, overhead press, and row.  I also add in pull ups and ab work as well.  So i usually do that 3x a week and throw in some cardio (running, biking, or insanity.)

• Upvote 1

Trained back and biceps today:

close grip lat pulldowns 4 sets

deadlifts 4 sets

close grip row machine 4 sets

pullovers 3 sets

DB bicep curls 3 sets

Cable curls with rope 3 sets

Henry

HOW DOES SWIMMING LAPS WORK TOWARDS BEING GOLF STRONG...? I ALSO DO 100+ PUSH-UPS W/ ARM CURLS AND PRESS-UPS BETWEEN SETS 3X'S A WEEK

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

Ring dips, jumping muscle ups (could only do one), alternating lunge presses, sumo deadlift high pulls, bent over rows, bench preses and tabata back squats

Mike McLoughlin

Kicking back sipping Cerveza and Margaritas and hitting balls into my net.

Hope to get back on the course tomorrow morning and shoot better than I have been the last two days.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano