• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
mvmac

Right Elbow Spacing at A4

27 posts in this topic

Using a couple posterior views to illustrate a few things we like to see at A4.  Mostly to clear up a few misconceptions I've been seeing throughout the year with keeping the arms on the body and the right elbow.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Thanks for posting Mike.  I have been working on this with practice swings.

One question I have is at the start of the downswing, should I consciously try to move the right elbow down and in as Grant does or rather just concentrate on keeping the wedge consistent?

I still haven't gained back all my flexibility since shoulder surgery.  My right arm does not have full external rotator flexibility yet.  (i.e. if I lie down with my arms at right angles to my body, with elbows at 90 degrees, my right hand will not lie flat in the vertical position).  So at P4, my right arm tends to fight staying in the wedge.  I am working hard on getting the flexibility back, but it is a slow process.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by boogielicious

Thanks for posting Mike.  I have been working on this with practice swings.

One question I have is at the start of the downswing, should I consciously try to move the right elbow down and in as Grant does or rather just concentrate on keeping the wedge consistent?

I still haven't gained back all my flexibility since shoulder surgery.  My right arm does not have full external rotator flexibility yet.  (i.e. if I lie down with my arms at right angles to my body, with elbows at 90 degrees, my right hand will not lie flat in the vertical position).  So at P4, my right arm tends to fight staying in the wedge.  I am working hard on getting the flexibility back, but it is a slow process.

I think that's great you are working on the flexibility to help.  And I think it's a great piece to work when it's identified as your priority piece.

In terms of the swing it all depends on what "feel" works for you.  I'm just illustrating what is happening.  Also it fine it your elbow doesn't look exactly like Grant's, ideally have it somewhere in the ballpark.  But understand that if that elbow gets too far behind, very tough to maintain the wedge.  I don't like the idea or feel of trying to "hold" my wrist angles.  Sergio isn't thinking about "holding" anything.  Combination of good sequencing, weight forward, elbow location and rotation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is a good video. A couple of comments:

We don't talk often enough about video from the rear, I think mainly because I have no idea what to look for, so this is a great video to show me what I should be paying attention too. Any other suggestions?

I am not a big fan of the term extensor action because I have seen very few drills on how to practice it. I have heard the string and jacket but those are not golf swing similar type moves so it is a real challenge to learn how to apply it. If you have a drill that helps there, please post it. I have the Swing Extender and for the most part I like it, but I cannot say even having used it for 6 or so months that it has helped me. To boil down my comment here I would say more drills or suggestions here would be great.

Any feelings or suggestions to get our right arm in a better position at P4? You mentioned straightening the right arm, and maybe keep the elbows tight together on the backswing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great video Mike!

Some more information there for people to be aware of, that the pressure points 4&5 are broken down further into 3 more sub pressure points, at the armpit, midbicep, and elbow.

A further note, why do all of us Morad disciples "bounce" and make sound effects when we get to each "position" as a rehearsal?

P1... "ssssshhhckkk" P2.... "chkchkchkchkchk" P3 LOOOOL

James

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by james_hirshfield

Great video Mike!

Some more information there for people to be aware of, that the pressure points 4&5 are broken down further into 3 more sub pressure points, at the armpit, midbicep, and elbow.

A further note, why do all of us Morad disciples "bounce" and make sound effects when we get to each "position" as a rehearsal?

P1... "ssssshhhckkk" P2.... "chkchkchkchkchk" P3 LOOOOL

James



lol. Did I do that in the video?

And yes I reference multiple pressure points in the arms, thanks for the clarification James.   Next video will deal with the 18 pp's in the right hand and how they effect the longitudinal center of gravity, just kidding  #bigwordshiseanfoley

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, Mike, very helpful.

I was wondering about this over the weekend.

Appreciate the video and clear explanation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great Video Mike!! I enjoyed how you broke the swing down in the r elbow position. It is something im always working on to get better results. When my swing goes south its usually because of the r elbow for me. I go back to bunching up my shirt under the arms pits and stay connected.

Thanks Again!

'

Matt

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike.

I just saw your #hisean

Hilarious.

At some point, we should discuss pressure points #11 and #12 in the left hand and how it relates to PA#2.

James

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by james_hirshfield

Mike.

I just saw your #hisean

Hilarious.

At some point, we should discuss pressure points #11 and #12 in the left hand and how it relates to PA#2.

James


hehe I love it! I really wonder if Foley has any idea who I am

And James only 9 pressure points in the left hands, 18 in the right, the journey continues my young padawan

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

hehe I love it!    I really wonder if Foley has any idea who I am

And James only 9 pressure points in the left hands, 18 in the right, the journey continues my young padawan


Hey Mike, I had been in contact with Mac and we talked about some stuff. had changed to 12 in left. still 18 in right.

Left hand 3 thumb PP's, 3 on index finger, 1 for each of other fingers, and 3 in the palm. #justsaying

Oh, Hi Sean, have u figured it out yet? #rookie

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James just identified this as my priority piece (A4.1 to A6). Thanks for the thread, Mike. Very helpful with this posterior view of Grant and downswing upper trail arm pressure points.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about horizontal feel in the transition?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about horizontal feel in the transition?

Horizontal with what?  Don't understand the question

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about horizontal feel in the transition?

It would be interesting to hear you expand a little on what your theories and ideas are. You tend to drop little cryptic one-liners as you whiz by like a tripped-out Deadhead on a bicycle. What exactly do you mean by "horizontal feel in transition", are you referring to a float load feel? Maintaining lag? Lying down on the golf course between holes??

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he means being horizontal when transitioning into the state of being stoned.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

James just identified this as my priority piece (A4.1 to A6). Thanks for the thread, Mike. Very helpful with this posterior view of Grant and downswing upper trail arm pressure points.

It's almost like I should re-read this thread and watch Mike's video every six months or so. Gawd I hate regression.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now