IGNORED

Path to the Tour?

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Domenic

hell yeah, Im making the TOUR! no matter what anyone says!

You should definitely start saving up for Q School. You will need roughly $12,000 to enter plus lodging, food, and other expenses.  You could always borrow the cash and just pay it back because the winner gets $25,000!

You just have to want it bad enough and I think that you have demonstrated that in this thread.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hell yeah, Im making the TOUR! no matter what anyone says!

Me too man!! Also plan on winning the lottery this week no matter what my odds are I believe I can do it

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tour Spoon: thanks for the advice/encouragement.

Poser: I get that you're semi mocking me but I don't give a f*ck. Win the lottery, make the Tour. I am! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE BELIEVERS!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

As a parent with a 12 year old and 15 year old I understand the importance of encouraging kids to pursue their dreams but there needs to be some reality too.  You can't put all your eggs in the Tour Pro basket because life deals us a lot of curve balls and you can't predict what your life will be like in 10 years.

The advice I give to you is the same as I'd give my son;

Pursue you dream, work your butt off at being the best golfer you can be.  At the same time stay focused on school, get good grades and develop a passion for something non-golf related as well.  Set a short term goal such as getting a golf scholarship to a good university.  Pick a major and get your degree in a field that will provide you the income you'll need to buy a house and raise a family in case golf doesn't work out.

Life is dark and depressing without dreams, reach out far for them, just have a net to catch you if you fall.

Joe Paradiso

Nowadays it isn't politically correct to tell someone thay aren't as good at something as someone else.  Every child is a winner at everything and they have the ribbons and trophies to prove it.

True and I hate it.  Kids are treated like veal today and then left to find out the harsh truth of reality on their own as adults when it's often too late to accept.  Reality is only one guy wins in a golf tournament and only one team wins the Super Bowl everyone else is a loser of varying degrees.  I agree the focus on younger kids should be to learn the sport properly and less about competition but once they are old enough for school sports it's time to learn about the differences between winning and losing.

Originally Posted by Kobey

Nowadays it isn't politically correct to tell someone thay aren't as good at something as someone else.  Every child is a winner at everything and they have the ribbons and trophies to prove it.

Joe Paradiso

I'm not asking for some encouragement and a cookie (although it would be nice ) I know its tough out there, and I'm planning getting a degree in landscape architecture, as building courses seems like fun, and I always draw them up on paper. Even if I am a tour pro, I'm still gonna do that later on or in free time.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

True and I hate it.  Kids are treated like veal today and then left to find out the harsh truth of reality on their own as adults when it's often too late to accept.  Reality is only one guy wins in a golf tournament and only one team wins the Super Bowl everyone else is a loser of varying degrees.  I agree the focus on younger kids should be to learn the sport properly and less about competition but once they are old enough for school sports it's time to learn about the differences between winning and losing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobey

Yeah, those baby calves have it so good.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not asking for some encouragement and a cookie (although it would be nice ) I know its tough out there, and I'm planning getting a degree in landscape architecture, as building courses seems like fun, and I always draw them up on paper. Even if I am a tour pro, I'm still gonna do that later on or in free time.

Sounds like a plan. Education has to be number 1. If you can turn it into a career you love, all the better.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

good, not let's get it 8 pages, cmon people!!!!!!
OH AND BY THE WAY MERRY CHRISTMAS, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a clue of how many students they have? The have a half dozen pros and a hundred+ all americans which leads me to think that at best 1 guy a year out of their classes is making it on the PGA/LPGA tour. No where near the same category as some of the tennis camps. I would also be curious how much you have to attend to be considered an "alumni". There seems to be a bit of mxining between Leadbetter students and alumni of the academy.

Originally Posted by jamo

It's a golf "school," they have actual teachers and you take classes (math, science, language, etc.) in addition to the golf. I can't speak to the quality of the actual education (and it's really pricey), but you do still have to go to classes.

To the 13 year old who started this thread - Kid your gonna be fine.

When I was 13,  I wanted to play bass in Van Halen.

I kept at it - went to music conservatory and then a prestigious grad school for music in new york.

after all is said and done ...did I join Van Halen - obviously not.  (we can leave alone the obvious problems that band has).

However, I have had a 20 year music career which includes performing in 18 different countries. I have played Bass with the Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead, Branford Marsalis, John Popper of Blue Traveler and many more.  - again, I didn't make it to Van Halen.

When I left touring I got a nice job teaching music at two colleges here in California.

my point is this, from 13 till 20 something I never gave up my Van Halen dream and it helped motivate and steer me through career probably as treacherous as a PGA career. but there's lots you can do in the Golf world besides the PGA Tour but right now - you only need to focus on your dreams and work as hard as you can for them. The rest will take care if itself.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

I have played Bass with Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead

Without a doubt the awesomest post I have ever read on this, or any other forum. You rock my friend.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I'm gonna try and get down to a 14 range this year so that next year, summer of 2013 I'll get to single digit, and then.........How do I go about this?

I'm gonna try and get down to a 14 range this year so that next year, summer of 2013 I'll get to single digit, and then.........How do I go about this?

Score better.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Read more posts. For every one post I make I probably read about 200-300 posts, if not more. Actually it might be closer to about 500 posts read per post written. I also use the search engine a lot.

If you don't have the natural talent, the only way to defeat that is by acquiring knowledge. Lessons from a good instructor, videos from good instructors, books by good instructors, posts by good instructors, articles by good instructors, posts by intelligent forum members.... this is the way to go. And the only way to know who is good and who is totally full of shit is by studying, studying and more studying.

Then you gotta have the time, money and body to be able to practice regularly. And that practice has to be correct, with a set plan as to what you need to be working on.

And forget about "the Tour" for now, my man. To reach that point you really gotta be gifted. You not only have to do a lot of important things in your swing without ever having to think about them, you also have to have the body to be able to practice 6-8 hours a day for years upon years.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 4468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!