IGNORED

Why do my Hands hurt after playing a round of Golf?

jamer8
Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let me start by saying I'm not a great Golfer but love the game.

I have this problem at the end of the round and days after.

The problem is my hands hurt afterwards.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Am I gripping to tight?

I really don't know.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Don't use your hands, buy some clubs to hit the ball with.

• Upvote 3

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is there any particular part of your hands that hurt?  Both feel the same?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It is a soreness or is the pain in your skin?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My advice for the grip would be to make sure the meaty part of your right hand index finger, the first joint of the bottom hand index finger where it touches the grip, is on the aft side of the shaft, on the side of the shaft rather than under or on top.  If it is.  Others would have more info on arthritis if it is something like that.

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by jamer8

Let me start by saying I'm not a great Golfer but love the game.

I have this problem at the end of the round and days after.

The problem is my hands hurt afterwards.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Am I gripping to tight?

I really don't know.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

What kind of clubs are you using? Poor contact hurts. Maybe try something a little more forgiving wrt impact and the resulting vibrations. Als check your grips. Are they worn and require you to hold the club very tightly? Poor impact can also lead to subconsciously gripping tighter in order to keep the club face travelling on the intended target line.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I had pain when I first started playing.  I switched to graphite shaft clubs and it went away.  I do believe it was due to poor contact and could probably start using steel shafts now that I'm a bit better at contacting the ball properly.

You say top of your hand and sometimes into the forearm? Is it on the top of the hand near the pinky finger? If so, then it might be the Ulnar Nerve. If its the top of the hand and pain going into the wrist and into the forearms, it might be just weak wrist muscles. I never had this problem, but it sounds like muscle strain. So not sure if your grip is wrong, or you might have just hurt it and not given it enough rest before playing again. My best advice, Ice it ever few hours, take a week off from golf, and do some light stretching of the wrist. Before you play golf again, make sure you stretch out the wrist, Just move them up and down, rotate them, just get them warmed up before swinging that first time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 years later...

Let me help....Hold the club lighter within your hands. You may have read about Sam Snead's comparison of grip pressure as holding a baby bird in your hands, measure of pressure.

Maintain this lighter grip pressure at the start and maintained consistently throughout the entire swing.

Also check to see if you have excess wear on your lower right side of golf glove (for right handers).

If so, this indicates a change in your grip pressure somewhere in your golf swing.

A few last things to check...If you are taking large divots often, this will eventually cause pain. (You are overly steep in your downswing.)

As will constantly hitting off-center shots that seem to make the shaft reverberate in your hands.

A golf lesson would be in order to correct the last two issues.

Hope this helps!

• Administrator

Let me help....Hold the club lighter within your hands. You may have read about Sam Snead's comparison of grip pressure as holding a baby bird in your hands, measure of pressure.

Maintain this lighter grip pressure at the start and maintained consistently throughout the entire swing.

I don't really care for that advice. The club is swinging 100 MPH or whatever: you're not going to hold on to the thing if you grip it like a baby bird.

Golf pros have strong hands from hitting balls. Their "3" on a scale of 1-10 is an "8" on some people's scales.

I wrote more about this here:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If I grip too lightly I will increase my grip pressure in transition, which is bad, so I usually try to match my grip pressure at set up with the pressure my body naturally likes to apply at transition so that, hopefully, I won't need to increase it in transition.

YMMV.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 1 year later...

You used the term "firm", which is not the same as "tight", and tight is how most amateurs grip the club. Looking at one's glove for wear can indicate re-gripping and an overly tight grip. Tight grips also restrict the release that in turn results in disappointing contact.  A firm grip is indeed one that allows a player to have confidence in the connection between his/her hands and the club. That confidence leads to freedom in the swing. "Holding a bird" might have worked for Sam Snead, but if the rest of us had his fluidity, agility, and timing, we too would be winners on tour.  He was; we're not, so finding the correct grip pressure is mostly a matter of a confident swing. One may get that swing with lessons and practice or lots of play (some people get better on the course, others on the range). Firm is good.

You used the term "firm", which is not the same as "tight", and tight is how most amateurs grip the club. Looking at one's glove for wear can indicate re-gripping and an overly tight grip.

The re-gripping is more of a result of improper placement of the grip in the hands. If the grip isn't secure the player has to make some last minute adjustments.

"Holding a bird" might have worked for Sam Snead, but if the rest of us had his fluidity, agility, and timing, we too would be winners on tour.  He was; we're not, so finding the correct grip pressure is mostly a matter of a confident swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!