IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

mvmac

I have done both. The more relaxed C shaped address is not as hard on my lower back during my full swiing.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i am not overlyΒ athletic Β andΒ middle aged. my problem was flexibility. the way i overcame this in my golfing setup ,without the necessity of doing a stretchΒ exerciseΒ routine, was quite amazing as well as totally simplisticΒ .

i used to try and "mirror" the set up of the pros. it is important to realize that i am not referring to the back/spine/butt relationship, but rather the convexity of the spine angle in relation to the target, not the ball.

when you look at a photo of a pro front on, it is very deceptive to the eye as to what is actually transpiring. that is why it is fruitless an exercise to try and copy it.

this setup is also so muchΒ "easier"Β on your back muscles.

it sounds a bit far fetched, but it at least works for me. all i do as i bend naturally towards the ball (with club only in left hand), is to imagine i am just about to throw an object with myΒ Β left hand underarm up to where i think my back swing would end.

that puts my spine in a "neutral " position and it feels just "right" .it is important to then allow the shoulders to adjust freely as the right hand is below the left.

if you do it correctly ,(which i might add is a totally natural human movement), in front of a mirror, you will be amazed at how Β your address position now resembles that of a pro.

in my case it enabled me to turn my shoulders more freely.

ps- i think that my problem was sloping my spine to the right at address, when it is just the shoulders Β in the pro photos that are creating this illusion.

anyway, once i get my short game/ bunker play and putting yips under control i may be able to lower my handicap a tad.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I routinely troll and make things up. Please use my posts for your own amusement, and little else.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Great topic, I was at the range trying to figure some shot shape issues and I'm thinking about basic posture and my consistency in my shots. From the pics and vids I think I may be Β reaching a bit. Here is a pic at address with the driver. Any thoughts just chime in.Β 

j golf 8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Β 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

• 4 weeks later...

When I set up, I do push my butt back when I bend forward, but after reading this I tried this posture/setup on the range Thursday. Β I sometimes get my right elbow behind me on the back swing and get stuck so thought this might help with that. Β After hitting about 20-25 balls my back muscles locked up and basically put me out of commission since, lower back is still stiff today.

For people with lingering lower back pain, is this setup/posture suppose to help? I rarely have my lower back tighten up this bad with my normal posture where I do feel my butt pushing back.Β 

Gus
---------------
Β 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, JGus said:

For people with lingering lower back pain, is this setup/posture suppose to help? I rarely have my lower back tighten up this bad with my normal posture where I do feel my butt pushing back.Β 

Without video or anything but your descriptions, I don't know what you were doing before or after. Feel ain't real, as they say. You may have overdone the recommendation, or maybe you didn't do it quite right, or maybe you would have hurt yourself a little doing anything like swinging a club that day.

I don't see a Member Swing thread, so I can't even use that as background info for what you may be doing.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Without video or anything but your descriptions, I don't know what you were doing before or after. Feel ain't real, as they say. You may have overdone the recommendation, or maybe you didn't do it quite right, or maybe you would have hurt yourself a little doing anything like swinging a club that day.

I don't see a Member Swing thread, so I can't even use that as background info for what you may be doing.

RGR all and agree no analysis can be derived based off my post, it was a general statement/question as I think I remember some discussions about lower back pain earlier in the thread.

I'll work on getting a proper video(s), not sure how many more days we have here in Western MD to get out to the course.

Gus
---------------
Β 

• 2 weeks later...

I got out to the range and recorded some swings, they aren't the best due to some heavy wind, but wanted to post some pics of my posture.Β  Far left is with a PW, middle is with a 7i, and right is with a Hybrid.

Based on what I have read and the pic's in the thread, I seem to be leaning over way to much, at least that is my first thought.Β  I also noticed on my downswing my shoulders raise more than they should, could leaning over to much cause this?

Β 

I couldn't figure out how to just post the pic within the post...

Posture.jpg

Gus
---------------
Β 

4 hours ago, JGus said:

Based on what I have read and the pic's in the thread, I seem to be leaning over way to much, at least that is my first thought.Β 

First thing I would do is lower the head/eyes, won't need to bend over so much to see the ball.

Screen_Shot_2017-01-06_at_10_31.28_PM.png

5 hours ago, JGus said:

Can drag or upload the pic here.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 10.39.00 PM.png

Then you click + to add it to the post

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 10.46.28 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

10 hours ago, mvmac said:

First thing I would do is lower the head/eyes, won't need to bend over so much to see the ball.

@mvmac Thanks, appreciate the tip, I'll start working on that.

And I tried to post that way, I have done it before, but this time it only posted the link to the image.Β  But no worries, appreciate the instructions.

Gus
---------------
Β 

• Administrator
21 hours ago, JGus said:

Don't post TIFFs. That's why. :-)

JPEGs, PNGs, GIFs occasionally…

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 1/7/2017 at 5:52 PM, iacas said:

Don't post TIFFs. That's why. :-)

I thought that might be the reason, thanks!

Gus
---------------
Β 

• 6 months later...
On 3/8/2013 at 7:02 AM, mvmac said:

Β 

Β 

f4cc59b3_posture4.jpeg

Those pants, tho

:tmade:Β Β -Β SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:Β  - F9 3W, 15Β degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade:Β - M2 hybrid, 19Β degree
:tmade:Β - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno:Β MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grindΒ - 56Β degree
:bettinardi:Β - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 5 weeks later...

I always enjoy hearing similar pieces/motions described inΒ different ways.

Β 

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've enjoyed reading through this, I was more upright in my set up where my head was looking past the ball. Sure this resulted in a bad takeaway. Would my set up result in an over the top swing?

Anyway I've recently signed up at evolvr where I have Stephan helping me so looking at great things for next season.