• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
MiniBlueDragon

Ball flight laws and misinformation

117 posts in this topic

The majority of people on TST know, understand and believe the 'new' (read: correct) ball flight laws where the club face is responsible for ~85% of the starting line of the flight, however there are many people who have played for years with the 'old' ball flight laws and continue to do so because to them the old way is correct.

OLD = Initial direction of the ball is dictated by the club head path . The curvature of the ball is dictated by the club face angle.

NEW = Initial direction of the ball is 85% dictated by the club face angle . The curvature is dictated by the club head path.

Today I watched another Masterclass video with Mizuno and Luke Donald (number 1 again. Go Llluuuuukkkkeeeee!) which was filled with misinformation:



Luke says in the video, "Get that ball position a little bit more forward for a cut. Aim my club face at the pin. Aim my body a little bit left. And then swing across that line."

If you look at the video however that's not the case:

Adobe Flash Player_2012-03-19_11-20-11.png

Luke's body and club head path is aimed way left toward the far left of the green and the ball starts out just left of the pin, curving back toward it.

Just another example of feel not being real in my opinion.

NOTE: I'm a big Luke fan and I love seeing ALL types of golfer play. The above is solely an opinion I'm sharing because I hate us amateurs being fed misinformation. If the old laws work for Luke that's great. If they work for you that's great. I just feel that incorrect information should not be taught to people as being the truth.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

He also contradicts himself. Before he takes the shot he says aim the clubface left of the pin and then over the ball says aim it at the pin.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke has a Trackman, has worked extensively with it, etc. It just goes to show that even if you know the right information, applying it to your mental circuitry is difficult. Clearly his muscular circuitry has had the "right information" for a long, long time.

At the end of the day you don't need to know the right information here to play some incredible golf. But it helps, and since it only takes a few minutes to understand, I don't see the point in bumbling along with the wrong information.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm also surprised someone at Mizuno didn't know better. Unfortunately, I think they were more concerned with having their brand associated with Luke than giving out the right information.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats the way I hit a fade and its the only way I can.  I"ve never been able to start the ball left of my stance line and fade it back.  I open way up in my stance play the ball far foward and open the face towards the target and hit a push fade.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro golfers try to instantly forget bad strokes/holes/courses and only remember their very best shots/holes etc because positive mental attitude is incredibly important to success. If I was World #1 and I believed that the Golf Fairy carried the ball to the hole whenever I said "Fluffy Slippers" in my mind at address it's a thought that I would cling onto for dear life as clearly it works for me, else I wouldn't be World #1.

I sincerely think it's fine for any golfer to believe whatever they want in their game; more power to them. Where I draw the line is when they then start perpetuating misinformation to people who know no better, effectively holding them back from their best potential.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by poser

Thats the way I hit a fade and its the only way I can.  I"ve never been able to start the ball left of my stance line and fade it back.  I open way up in my stance play the ball far foward and open the face towards the target and hit a push fade.


A push fade is a perfectly fine shot to play. I use that myself. However, as you know, your clubface is not pointed at the target at impact.

For the numbers below, the target is at 0 degrees and negative numbers are left of the target.

Pull-fade: Stance 0°, Path -4°, Clubface -2°.   (Clubface is 2° closed relative to stance, hence, pull-fade).

Push-fade: Stance -6°, Path -4°, Clubface -2°. (Clubface is 4° open relative to stance, hence, push-fade).

Push-fade: Stance -4°, Path -4°, Clubface -2°. (Same as one above with smaller difference in stance/path).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played with a pro Saturday who played the push fade. He hit some incredible golf shots. He aimed his body open about 15 degrees and it looked like his face was aimed at the pin. I know that is how he set-up to hit the shot, but that is not what happened at impact as the club face had to be closed as as compared to the initial address position but open to the path. It was not by much because it was more of a baby fade with so much control. I don't know if he knows the ball flight laws, but he knows how to play competitive golf on the local tournament level.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I sincerely think it's fine for any golfer to believe whatever they want in their game; more power to them. Where I draw the line is when they then start perpetuating misinformation to people who know no better, effectively holding them back from their best potential.



I completely agree that it is misinformation because the "new" laws are, no doubt, correct.  However, I think we might be putting too much stock in them, and I don't necessarily agree that it is holding people back.  There were good and bad golfers prior to the "new" laws and there are good and bad golfers now.  And I am sure many of the bad golfers now know the new laws.  To me, the part of the ball flight laws that really matter haven't changed; club face closed relative to path, ball curves left, and club face open relative to path, ball curves right.  That is what I would take away from the video.  I've seen other videos posted here (and there are probably hundreds of them out there) like this one, or the Brandel Chamblee/Aaron Rodgers video, or the Nick Faldo/Sony Open video that all say the same thing.  And they are all wrong in the exact literal sense, i.e. in the case of the Nick Faldo video (how to curve one around a tree) if you followed his directions to the letter, you would, in fact, hit the tree every time.  But you would see that the first time you practiced it, and you would keep tinkering until you figured out how to hit the target.

Anyways, that is my two cents.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm also surprised someone at Mizuno didn't know better. Unfortunately, I think they were more concerned with having their brand associated with Luke than giving out the right information.

The equipment companies do know but are in a tough spot. They're interested in selling clubs, not informing the masses and don't want to be the ones to deal with the backlash of telling golfers they have been taught the wrong info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

I sincerely think it's fine for any golfer to believe whatever they want in their game; more power to them. Where I draw the line is when they then start perpetuating misinformation to people who know no better, effectively holding them back from their best potential.



Well said

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by mvmac

The equipment companies do know but are in a tough spot. They're interested in selling clubs, not informing the masses and don't want to be the ones to deal with the backlash of telling golfers they have been taught the wrong info.

You think that Mizuno is worried that golfers will not buy their clubs because a short Luke Donald video may differ from their ball flight philosophy?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I didn't watch the video, but and maybe I've missed something in the video summary, but does Luke actually refer to ball flight laws or is he simply desribing how he sets up to hit a shot? To hit a draw, I align my feet and club face to the target, then shift slightly to the right, which naturally shifts the face to right of the target as well. Then I either close the clubface a little or swing out to the right depending on the day. At impact the club face is right of the final target in order to have the ball draw back to it, but it was aimed squarely at the target when I started the process.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

The equipment companies do know but are in a tough spot. They're interested in selling clubs, not informing the masses and don't want to be the ones to deal with the backlash of telling golfers they have been taught the wrong info.

You think that Mizuno is worried that golfers will not buy their clubs because a short Luke Donald video may differ from their ball flight philosophy?



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have stated and many pro golfers have proved knowledge of the ball flight laws is by no means a necessity in playing amazing golf.  For the majority of the gifted golfers out there their body just figures it out even if their brain can't.  I really think that where knowledge of the ball flight laws really matters is for golfers like me who don't really have that natural ability and need to understand what is actually happening so we can attempt to make the correct fix.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I fall in the minority, what are the new ball flight laws? I got a handout in my golf class I took thru my school that said the clubface controls spin direction (fade or draw, or in my case, slice or hook) and the path controls starting line.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Harmonious

You think that Mizuno is worried that golfers will not buy their clubs because a short Luke Donald video may differ from their ball flight philosophy?


Typically not a fan of speaking for others, but no, H, that's not what he thinks.

He's simply saying that Mizuno is marketing with these videos, not looking to necessarily put out the absolute 100% perfect information and in doing so contradict what their (only?) star player has to say.

His description is muddy at best, but he definitely says "point the clubface at the target," which is misleading.

And look, we've done our jobs. People know the correct information, and when someone gives bad information, other people here share the links to the correct information. Job done. We don't need to keep bringing this same old topic up, or talking about it. (I've already had conversations about this video on various Facebook groups, for example.)

Case in point:


Originally Posted by Jwat381

I guess I fall in the minority, what are the new ball flight laws? I got a handout in my golf class I took thru my school that said the clubface controls spin direction (fade or draw, or in my case, slice or hook) and the path controls starting line.


Read about them here: Ball Flight Laws .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by Jwat381

I guess I fall in the minority, what are the new ball flight laws? I got a handout in my golf class I took thru my school that said the clubface controls spin direction (fade or draw, or in my case, slice or hook) and the path controls starting line.


First post.

Originally Posted by iacas

We don't need to keep bringing this same old topic up, or talking about it.


Yeah sorry about that; I just saw what seemed to be a nice clear example of feel versus real regarding the laws so I shared it and explained why. I know there are other examples out there; I just felt this one was especially useful. Won't happen again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks, I found that right after I asked the question haha. It gets confusing going back and forth between the old and new, but I think I've got. I  usually hit a straight fade, sometimes a push fade, or more like a push slice, but that's rare anymore. So my clubface is actually getting pretty square or closed, but my biggest problem is too much out to in swing? Good to know, I've been working really hard on that. I'll get the driver out and swing as in to out as I think I can and hit a few duck hooks just to get the feel. When I amp up the swing speed I still get a tiny bit of fade still. This is good to know tho.



Read about them here: Ball Flight Laws .



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by iacas

Typically not a fan of speaking for others, but no, H, that's not what he thinks.

He's simply saying that Mizuno is marketing with these videos, not looking to necessarily put out the absolute 100% perfect information and in doing so contradict what their (only?) star player has to say.



Correct, thanks Erik.

Originally Posted by Jwat381

Thanks, I found that right after I asked the question haha. It gets confusing going back and forth between the old and new, but I think I've got. I  usually hit a straight fade, sometimes a push fade, or more like a push slice, but that's rare anymore. So my clubface is actually getting pretty square or closed, but my biggest problem is too much out to in swing? Good to know, I've been working really hard on that. I'll get the driver out and swing as in to out as I think I can and hit a few duck hooks just to get the feel. When I amp up the swing speed I still get a tiny bit of fade still. This is good to know tho.


Yes the straight fade would be club face aimed at the target, path was left so the ball curved to the right.  To hit a draw with the driver, start off by aiming the face a little right of target, let's say right center of the fairway and aiming the body further right.  There are also swing faults that can lead to the path not being far enough right but it's easier to start with the set-up alignments

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Oh yeah, I've know several. Not really giving up the game entirerly, but giving up on going pro. They went on mini tours or play events the (now) web.com tour and just give up after a year or so. They didn't really have a gauge of how much time and skill it really takes to make a living playing golf. If you dont win or make a name for yourself in the college ranks or big international am tournaments, you're really behind the 8ball. 
    • The video was not made for this discussion but a good chunk of it applies - just because you lift your heel off the ground doesn't mean you transfer 95% of your weight right. That's what you had to say in response to "I don't see how the left knee moves as a point of contention"? Again, the other thread existed because there was a huge myth out there about maintaining the same flex in the trail knee. No such myth or disparity exists re: the lead knee. Her head doesn't move off the ball much (well within the "steady head" idea, particularly with a driver), of course she has some tilt away from the target - because her hips don't sway back, and her weight shifts slightly to the right. Very little more than someone with a "modern" golf swing. It's not the only place there's "tension." And no, "loaded" may be a common word, but it can have a bunch of meanings. Your right leg is not the only thing that's "loaded" in ANY full swing in golf. Again, the wrists, the arm across the chest, the elbow, your ankles, your torso is turned… all can be "loaded." That's my point. One of 'em anyway. I haven't attacked whatever it is you're trying to talk about. I am, however, trying to suss out what it is you're trying to talk about. Because if it's "the left knee should be allowed, sometimes, to move back to the right" then I don't think you'll find much disagreement. You seem to think it's more than that, though. I don't think they did either, but the reasons they did it may have changed, or the amount of understanding we have of the golf swing has certainly changed, or what's important in the golf swing may have changed, or a bunch of other things. While writing this, @billchao answered that pretty well too, IMO. I guess, since I don't know what you're actually trying to convey here, I'll drop out for now until you can figure out what it is you're trying to say.
    • I could also just learn to perfect my draw as the article said. Become good/great at a certain shot type. 
    • From a fellow Sconnie, welcome to the site.  Many, many golfers play fades from a closed stance.  They are mostly pull slicers.  Basically your club face is just closed in relation to the path you are swinging on.  Maybe start a swing thread sometime if you want and someone can try and help.  Otherwise there is not really much anyone can tell you.  Hope you stick around and become involved in the site.
    • I disagree with this. Lots of fantastic golfers today don't use this move. People will adopt swing moves based on the style in a given era, regardless of whether they actually improve the swing or not. Think about reverse C finishes or square feet. Some top players play well despite certain trends, not because of them.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (33 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (45 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (51 years old)
    4. Weluvgolf
      Weluvgolf
      (53 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon