• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
brocks

Tiger Hurts Back Stopping Swing, "Good to Go"

brocks    99
On Golf Central, they just showed Tiger bent over double and grimacing in pain after he tried to stop a downswing after a camera click (during today's proam), and his back went out. He said it got better as he walked it off and he's "good to go," but jeez, what next?

Zeph    182
Come on, that topic title is incorrect. Don't make a bigger deal out of this than it really is. [quote]Woods acknowledged the Achilles could become problematic again without warning. "But hopefully, it won't," he said. Granted, there was an anxious moment or two during Wednesday's pro-am but that came when his back seized up on the sixth tee. "I guess one of the so-called professional photographers took a picture right in the middle of my downswing," Woods said. "I stopped it, and then felt a pretty good twinge in my back. Walked it off and then tried to hit one down there, hit it in the fairway, but didn't feel very good. But after a couple of holes it loosened up and I'm good to go now."[/quote] He twinged something when stopping abruptly and walked it off.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

clubchamp    24

Retirement?

I'm joking but maybe he's just wearing down I mean for the amount of physical strain he puts his body through with practicing and the gym it could be the cause.

Zeph    182
Retirement? I'm joking but maybe he's just wearing down I mean for the amount of physical strain he puts his body through with practicing and the gym it could be the cause.

I don't know what his training schedule is, but I'm sure his workouts has helped keeping him in shape and allowing him to play golf at a high level for a longer period of time. Of course, with bad form you can cause damage, but it's not like going to the gym breaks down your body. It actually does at first, but in long term, it makes it stronger.

brocks    99
Come on, that topic title is incorrect. Don't make a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

Have you seen the footage? It is absolutely accurate to say he was in serious pain. It was much more than a "twinge," because he was laboriously going through all kinds of stretches for the next few minutes, trying to get the muscles to loosen up. Whether he was *injured* or not, I don't know. But he was definitely hurt, and I find it very difficult to believe it won't mess with his head.

brocks    99
Of course, with bad form you can cause damage, but it's not like going to the gym breaks down your body. It actually does at first, but in long term, it makes it stronger.

Tiger himself has said that he trained stupidly. I don't recall the exact words, but it had to do with unnecessarily strenuous workouts for no good reason -- 7-mile runs on pavement, and the like. Hopefully, he's training smarter now.

bplewis24    249

I saw it, and honestly was a bit surprised that he finished the round.  I'm actually dealing with a lower back strain myself (as of Monday), and when I saw him buckle and nearly fall to his knees like that, I thought he did the same exact thing.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't feeling some tightness/soreness in his back tomorrow.

Brandon

turtleback    484

I was at the Toshiba Classic last weekend and I was shocked that there were media photographers taking pictures during players' swings and no one said a word.  Are the rules different on the Champions tour?  Is it that the players are older and no longer able to hear the clicks?  (just kidding - no offense to the old guys intended because I am one of them).

jhwmusic    14

He should have had those Navy Seals fire off their guns and blow up grenades while he hit tee shots so those cameras wouldn't bother him so much.  Just sayin..

Zeph    182
Photographers clicking in the middle of a swing should be thrown out. Record a film if you absolutely have to shoot that close to the finish. Video of the swing: http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-wednesday-march-21-2012-tiger-woods/

GaijinGolfer    84

Tiger is in complete and total denial.  A cameraman snaps a picture during your backswing and it causes a twinge that makes you drop to your knees?  Seriously?  Tiger is done.  I'll honestly be surprised if he even finishes The Masters.

newtogolf    957

I had read that the camera sound disturbed him and caused him to stop mid-swing which caused the twinge in his back.  I didn't see it so I don't know what the timing was but I didn't think it was just a matter of him stopping his backswing.  If it was on his down swing, I can see how trying to stop it suddenly could cause a back spasm.  Obviously Tiger is going to have to adjust to getting old, especially with a body that's got a lot of wear and tear on it.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Tiger is in complete and total denial.  A cameraman snaps a picture during your backswing and it causes a twinge that makes you drop to your knees?  Seriously?  Tiger is done.  I'll honestly be surprised if he even finishes The Masters.

iacas    4,175

He didn't drop to his knees. Watch the video.

We've all tweaked our necks or whatever turning around to look as we back out of the garage or doing stupid little things, let alone stopping a 120 MPH downswing.

bplewis24    249

You hurt your credibility each time you post about Woods.  You should try and look past your dislike of him.

Brandon

mtsalmela80    27

I guess he sounds just as about as bad as those who endless rip all over Haney just because he wrote this book, some even ripping on Tiger's ex wife. The hatred comes from all sides....

Originally Posted by bplewis24

You hurt your credibility each time you post about Woods.  You should try and look past your dislike of him.

Brandon

Once I heard an older news person say that Tiger's record is enhanced because he deals with more mid-swing interruptions that any player in history.  I'm sure this type of back twinge has happened before.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Photographers clicking in the middle of a swing should be thrown out. Record a film if you absolutely have to shoot that close to the finish.

Video of the swing: http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-wednesday-march-21-2012-tiger-woods/

RonTheSavage    74

I've hurt my back sneezing..............it happens.