IGNORED

What would you shoot at Augusta....

MacGregor9
Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the length would really hurt me. Long irons are probably my biggest weakness (though getting better and better).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most scratch golfers would not be scratch at Augusta. If they are playing mostly course which are rated 72 with an average slope, they most likely would play anywere from a 2-4. Having never played it, I would say breaking 90 would be highly unlikely. Now give that player a practice round, a tour caddy and a pro's yardage book and for sure most would play 5-10 above their hadicap for the course.

I don't think your average touring pro would break 80 the first time (no practice round, no tour caddy)

Round 1, I would not break 100.

Round 2, I would likely play 2X my hadicap, assuming I had the same tools as the pros.

I played Ko'olau a few years back when I was playing to about a 10 handicap. Tournament tees are 7,310 yards, 75.7 course rating and 152 slope. I played the championship tees rated at 73.5 and a slope of 145. My best round on the 4th day was 84. The greens were rolling between 9 and 10. Augusta is estimated to be rated above 76

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Originally Posted by limoric

Most scratch golfers would not be scratch at Augusta. If they are playing mostly course which are rated 72 with an average slope, they most likely would play anywere from a 2-4. Having never played it, I would say breaking 90 would be highly unlikely. Now give that player a practice round, a tour caddy and a pro's yardage book and for sure most would play 5-10 above their hadicap for the course.

I don't think your average touring pro would break 80 the first time (no practice round, no tour caddy)

Round 1, I would not break 100.

Round 2, I would likely play 2X my hadicap, assuming I had the same tools as the pros.

I played Ko'olau a few years back when I was playing to about a 10 handicap. Tournament tees are 7,310 yards, 75.7 course rating and 152 slope. I played the championship tees rated at 73.5 and a slope of 145. My best round on the 4th day was 84. The greens were rolling between 9 and 10. Augusta is estimated to be rated above 76

How many of your strokes at Ko'olau were due to lost balls, penalty strokes, and re-tees?  None of those issues at Augusta (well, except for Rory last year).  I think it would be all about position on the greens and putting.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I would shoot a ton. High 90's would be my guess.

I played Pebble  from the back tees and I did not break 90. Once you got into the rough you had to sand wedge it out. On the 3rd I tried an 8 iron and advanced it about 6 feet. From then on I only hit wedges.

The thing about Augusta is I suspect the greens can be deceiving. I think the 12th for example is a sliver to try to hit. I don't think I could reach 11 in 2. I also think I would 3 putt A TON.

Michael

• Administrator

Originally Posted by limoric

Most scratch golfers would not be scratch at Augusta. If they are playing mostly course which are rated 72 with an average slope, they most likely would play anywere from a 2-4.

Augusta is estimated to be rated above 76

So if they shoot 76, they'd have played to a scratch handicap...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by mchepp

I would shoot a ton. High 90's would be my guess.

I played Pebble  from the back tees and I did not break 90. Once you got into the rough you had to sand wedge it out. On the 3rd I tried an 8 iron and advanced it about 6 feet. From then on I only hit wedges.

The thing about Augusta is I suspect the greens can be deceiving. I think the 12th for example is a sliver to try to hit. I don't think I could reach 11 in 2. I also think I would 3 putt A TON.

Yeah, 12 would be tough.  I think I'd aim for the front left regardless of where the pin was--but it's still just a 9-iron.  The rest of the greens are huge, though, but you'd have to be below the hole or in a place where you can use the slope to your advantage.

The rough wouldn't be an issue though.

I think what would give most regular golfers fits is hitting 40-yard pitch shots from very tight lies to fast, elevated, sloping greens.  That and trying to 2-putt from 40 feet with three breaks and four elevation changes.

Kevin

Originally Posted by iacas

So if they shoot 76, they'd have played to a scratch handicap...

Yup...

I see what you're saying. I should have said most scatch golfers would not play to their home course rating or the course rating of most of the courses they play...

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Unofficially, its rated 78.1 with a slope of 137.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/golf-masters/2010-04/how-tough-augusta-knuth?currentPage=1

According to this, on average players shoot three over their course handicap.

At 15.8, this guy thinks I would shoot about 100.

• Upvote 2

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

Unofficially, its rated 78.1 with a slope of 137.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/golf-masters/2010-04/how-tough-augusta-knuth?currentPage=1

According to this, on average players shoot three over their course handicap.

At 15.8, this guy thinks I would shoot about 100.

That's a fantastic article--thanks!  Confirms my prediction that I would shoot between 80-85.

Kevin

Not sure I'd have a problem (relatively speaking) with the length with the right bag setup. Factor in 18 3-putts (54 putts or more) and I'd guess North of 100.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

54 year old Randal Lewis, the reigning US Mid Am Champ, just fired an 81.

• Fairways Hit:  10 of 14
  • Greens Hit:  6 of 18
  • Sand Saves:  0 of 1
  • Avg. Putts:  1.67
  • Average Drive:  259.5
  • Longest Drive:  266

Bogies on:  2, 7, 11, 14, 18

Double Bogies on:  5, 12

No holes under par.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I'd shoot Hootie Johnson for being such a pompous pug.

LOL.

Then I'd shoot myself for nine-putting!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A few years ago Adam Scott was asked by a friend of his, who had a handicap of 1 or 2 what score Scott thought he'd shoot at Augusta. Scott told his friend that he wouldn't break 90.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The uncle who played off a 4-5 and whose best was a 92 does give me pause.  But I have a hard time believing it would be THAT ridiculous for a solid amateur.  Is it really that much worse than any other really tough championship course?  The winning scores from the Masters versus the winning scores at other big time courses where people like us actually get to play and see how hard it is seems to indicate that's not true.  And I never hear anyone claiming that a 5 HC couldn't break 100 at Bethpage Black from the tips.  Hell, I'd bet with 30 minutes on the practice green and a good warm up at the range that I could break 100 myself if I was having a solid day off the tee.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

In 1993, when I was a really inconsistent 2 handicapper, I shot 79 (+9) at Muirfield playing OK and that included losing 3 balls. I missed only 3 fairways and lost the ball on each occasion. Although I've never played Augusta, I did walk the course in 1994 and no way is it tougher than Muirfield. I know time has moved on but I'm guessing both courses have been toughened up equally for major championship play.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by mdl

The uncle who played off a 4-5 and whose best was a 92 does give me pause.  But I have a hard time believing it would be THAT ridiculous for a solid amateur.  Is it really that much worse than any other really tough championship course?  The winning scores from the Masters versus the winning scores at other big time courses where people like us actually get to play and see how hard it is seems to indicate that's not true.  And I never hear anyone claiming that a 5 HC couldn't break 100 at Bethpage Black from the tips.  Hell, I'd bet with 30 minutes on the practice green and a good warm up at the range that I could break 100 myself if I was having a solid day off the tee.

I think they key there is, are you playing the course under major championship conditions.  Lightning fast greens.  Or if it's a US Open, super deep and thick rough.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

When Tony Romo had a zero index,  he shot an 84 at Torrey Pines before the '08 open from the tips under Open conditions.    I'm sure some of you have seen the "US OPEN" challenge....... I know it's a totally different event, but just making a point.  It all started when Tiger said a 10hc couldn't break 100 and the made for TV event was soon on.... I think Justin Timberlake was a 10HC and he shot 99.  I know 1 or 2 other 10hcs have taken the made for TV challenge and shot around 99.......

With that said, I think I could break 90 at Augusta.  Of course, I'd have a caddy which is a given and a must to get around that course.   If I had an entire week to play 36 holes a day under those conditions, I feel confident that I could break 80 before I'm done.  It may only be once.......shooting a 79, but I'm just saying I think I can do it.  LOL

I think getting familiar with the course is a must......just going in their blind for 1 round is really tough.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!