IGNORED

Tiger "tantrum" Woods

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

It was after he snap hooked his tee shot on 13, he slammed his club into the ground taking out a sizeable divot.

I've since seen it. Step on it and it's all fine. Yawn.

But hey, I get the outrage. Tiger is the only golfer to ever do anything like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

But hey, I get the outrage. Tiger is the only golfer to ever do anything like that. Definitely, we should single him out.

I stated above I am against any professional golfer doing this. I cannot understand why it is so hard to admit that this is poor etiquette.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Tiger is nothing if not consistent. On course, massive tool. Off course, massive tool. Is this actually news to anyone anymore?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I stated above I am against any professional golfer doing this. I cannot understand why it is so hard to admit that this is poor etiquette.

It is poor etiquette, I wish he wouldn't do it, and I don't approve of it. But some people (on other forums) act like if we don't ban it, it's a short step to cannibalism.

I find Tiger's conduct totally unacceptable but no one is going to tell him to stop.  Like it or not, he is still golf's golden boy.  I must admit though, I do find it somewhat comical.  So much for that Buddhist inner peace that Tiger talked about.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

I stated above I am against any professional golfer doing this. I cannot understand why it is so hard to admit that this is poor etiquette.

I admit that it's not great etiquette. You understand improperly if you think any of us who don't particularly care about this think it's NOT poor etiquette.

I also think it's completely irrelevant as far as my life goes. Who cares? My daughter knows it's lousy behavior. She won't act like it just because she sees Tiger doing it.

And if you've never sworn or had a two-second temper tantrum in your life, go ahead, cast the first stone. I'll wait.

I also admit I don't particularly care, and in fact, find it mildly entertaining. I think it's good to see a player expressing his emotions and I'll take this - to a point (endangering others is well beyond that point) - over the robotic blah of most other PGA Tour players.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I really don't mind the tantrums, I feel the same way sometimes and occasionally act that way too and I am a pretty even keel guy. My 0.02 on Tiger is that I think he seems a little forced in some of these outbreaks like he feels the need to show the crowd he expects to play better. He doesn't want a lack of response to think he isn't trying. It is the body language. It isn't true rage like Sergio.

Until there is a rule against showing emotion, I suggest we shitcan this topic. I mean we could not allow jumping up and down after a win because it might hurt other golfers feelings...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I find Tiger's conduct totally unacceptable but no one is going to tell him to stop.  Like it or not, he is still golf's golden boy.  I must admit though, I do find it somewhat comical.  So much for that Buddhist inner peace that Tiger talked about.

I haven't heard anyone else told to stop throwing clubs or breaking clubs either...at least TW doesn't play slow. That is when I would start having a problem with him...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I haven't heard anyone else told to stop throwing clubs or breaking clubs either...at least TW doesn't play slow. That is when I would start having a problem with him...

Yeah, the PGA Tour usually keep the fines and scolding private and this isn't technically a PGA Tour event, so whatevs. It's not like he was wearing his hat backwards. It's just a little swearing, kicking and throwing club, slamming clubs into the turf on the teebox. The ANGC members are probably having a good laugh about it all - like the 16th at the Phoenix Open without the frisbees.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by brocks

But some people (on other forums) act like if we don't ban it, it's a short step to cannibalism.

That's going a bit over the top. All I'm saying is that all pros should make an effort to try and clean up their on course behaviour.

I admit that it's not great etiquette. You understand improperly if you think any of us who don't particularly care about this think it's NOT poor etiquette.

I also think it's completely irrelevant as far as my life goes. Who cares? My daughter knows it's lousy behavior. She won't act like it just because she sees Tiger doing it.

And if you've never sworn or had a two-second temper tantrum in your life, go ahead, cast the first stone. I'll wait.

I also admit I don't particularly care, and in fact, find it mildly entertaining. I think it's good to see a player expressing his emotions and I'll take this - to a point (endangering others is well beyond that point) - over the robotic blah of most other PGA Tour players.

As a golf instructor, I think you should care. I feel that part of our job is to educate young players not only on how to play better golf, but also behave themselves on the course. When one of my junior golfers damages the course with his tantrums, I pull him up on it and let him know his behaviour is unacceptable. And I know where they are getting it from.

I'm not sure what comparing me to Tiger, or any other PGA Tour pro, has to do with this issue. I am not playing golf in front of millions of people and supposedly a role model to millions more. But regardless, I do not throw/kick clubs, swear, spit next to the hole etc. with 7 year olds close enough to reach out their arm and touch me. I too have no problem with pros expressing their emotions, but they need to understand the stage they are displaying their skills on before going over the top.

• Upvote 1

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator

That's going a bit over the top.

Is it really? (Duh, yes, cannibalism? Of course that's "over the top." But I think the point he was making is that people are over-reacting.) There are several people on Facebook and elsewhere calling for Tiger to be banned from Augusta .

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

As a golf instructor, I think you should care. I feel that part of our job is to educate young players not only on how to play better golf, but also behave themselves on the course. When one of my junior golfers damages the course with his tantrums, I pull him up on it and let him know his behaviour is unacceptable. And I know where they are getting it from.

I think perhaps you assume to know where they get it from. Could just as easily be from Sergio, whom I imagine a lot of Spanish juniors look up to as well. Or some football player.

Just as you assumed that I don't talk with the junior players I teach because I don't care about what some other adult does on the golf course. Give me a break. "Not caring about Tiger's tantrums" != "not caring about the actions of my junior players."

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I'm not sure what comparing me to Tiger, or any other PGA Tour pro, has to do with this issue. I am not playing golf in front of millions of people and supposedly a role model to millions more. But regardless, I do not throw/kick clubs, swear, spit next to the hole etc. with 7 year olds close enough to reach out their arm and touch me. I too have no problem with pros expressing their emotions, but they need to understand the stage they are displaying their skills on before going over the top.

If Tiger's a role model to anyone for anything other than working hard at something and setting goals, then that person is an idiot.

My daughter has seen Tiger misbehaving on the golf course, and because I raised her properly, she immediately understands that he's misbehaving . She's not "monkey see, monkey do." If a junior acts up - or if she acts up - they're dealt with appropriately.

But Tiger isn't raising my kids, nor is he one of my children. So I'm sorry, but I have a hard time getting worked up over the mild and brief temper tantrums of someone else.

Is it really? (Duh, yes, cannibalism? Of course that's "over the top." But I think the point he was making is that people are over-reacting.) There are several people on Facebook and elsewhere calling for Tiger to be banned from Augusta.

Could just as easily be from Sergio, whom I imagine a lot of Spanish juniors look up to as well. Or some football player.

So I'm sorry, but I have a hard time getting worked up over the mild and brief temper tantrums of someone else.

I was actually referring to the part about being banned, not cannibalism. Doh!

There is a reason why Sergio is not very popular in Spain.

I'm not worked up, I simply don't like professional golfers acting like arses on the golf course and wish they would make more of an effort to control their urges. That's all. Now let's move on.

In one discussion (this forum - not bring other forums into it) people talk about Tiger bringing children to the game and how he grows the game. In another people talk about how he moves the needle and is the true face of game as we know it. Forgive me for wanting the face of my favourite hobby to conduct himself like a true professional on and off the course. To some it doesn't matter. It's the "just win baby" attitude. I understand it, but I don't agree with it. I do care what athletes off the field of play when it's staring me in the face at the supermarket. When how any single player conducts themself is a bigger story to some than the sport taking place on the field of play, then that's a sad commentary on the state of the game.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Haha, Iacas really doesn't get it. "Not great etiquette" - is that the best you can come up with? Total Tiger Woods apologist. And yes, it is COMPLETELY different to someone behaving like that at their local 9 hole golf course; like it nor not, he SHOULD be a role model, as millions (probably billions) of people recognise who he is and will see that bad behaviour. But hey, what's the big deal, let him behave like a complete brat and pat him on the back for doing so...

Great signal you're sending out there, and I pity the people you 'instruct'.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

In one discussion (this forum - not bring other forums into it) people talk about Tiger bringing children to the game and how he grows the game. In another people talk about how he moves the needle and is the true face of game as we know it. Forgive me for wanting the face of my favourite hobby to conduct himself like a true professional on and off the course. To some it doesn't matter. It's the "just win baby" attitude. I understand it, but I don't agree with it. I do care what athletes off the field of play when it's staring me in the face at the supermarket. When how any single player conducts themself is a bigger story to some than the sport taking place on the field of play, then that's a sad commentary on the state of the game.

While I agree with this to a certain extent, I still can't make myself care a lot. But then again, I've never bought a product because Tiger endorses it, never assumed that just because Tiger's good at golf he's a good person in general, and so on.

I think it's a tempest in a teapot. I think very few people outside of golf care one bit about Tiger or how he behaves (I'm not referring to the adultery stuff, just the "goddammits" and the making of easily fixable bumps on tee boxes).

Originally Posted by Plox

Total Tiger Woods apologist.

Riiiiiiight. "I don't care about Tiger's temper tantrums, realize that whining about it on a forum isn't going to have any effect, and know that I can only control what my daughter and the players I teach can do (and only then to a certain extent)" makes me an apologist. Okay pal. Cheers.

BTW, people in Europe really, really seem to dislike Tiger more than people in the U.S. If anything is even mildly interesting to me in all of this, it's that. Perhaps we have more of a "football" culture here while in Europe they have more of a "football" culture.

See what I did there? :-P

In one discussion (this forum - not bring other forums into it) people talk about Tiger bringing children to the game and how he grows the game. In another people talk about how he moves the needle and is the true face of game as we know it. Forgive me for wanting the face of my favourite hobby to conduct himself like a true professional on and off the course.

Everyone must decide for himself how much to let it bother him, but I would note that part of the reason that Tiger moves the needle and brings in new fans is how demonstrative he is on the course, after both good and bad shots. Jason Dufner could win ten times this year, and Tiger could MC in the same ten events, and Tiger would still be the one who moves the needle. And the people who tune in only when he's playing would not be True Golf Fans, but they would be good enough for tournament sponsors and TV advertisers.

How come these threads always are made when Tiger does something, not when someone else slams a club into the ground or swears a little on the course? This has been going on as long as golf has existed. When other people do it, it's "Ah, that's a shame, ok, move on". When Tiger do it, they want him banned from Augusta... You say Tiger apologist, I say Tiger hater. I don't care and I don't care if others care, but don't make it sound like Tiger is the only one out there. Make a thread on general behaviour by PGA players instead.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!