IGNORED

Tiger "tantrum" Woods

Sandwedge74
Note: This thread is 4386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Trust me, no 'thug' calls his mistress's cell phone, leaves a message with his name asking for her to delete his number so his wife doesn't find it.

Raging dork would be more appropriate.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I've never seen Tiger do anything that would even hint at him being a thug.

He did have a stable of ho's at one time.  Just sayin...

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

But the real question is what happened mechanically between Bay Hill and Augusta? At Augusta we got last August Tiger. I think he was not comfortable hitting a draw with his new pattern. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I think you may have hit on something here. Obviously, anything new takes a lot of reps to ingrain...then ...I am just going off watching the Master's a lot ...it does seem like a draw is a very important shot to have from some the Augusta Tee boxes. Ofcourse a draw gone to hook or snap hook is also very penal. Maybe he just needs more rep's to get it more ingrained and this is all BEFORE adding the pressure of a major and then..Augusta.

The longer you play any game or any instrument or do anything a certain way...the harder it can be to ingrain core changes physically not to even mention mentally..just my two cents. The 3 wood draw he hit one of the days off of a par 5 tee box didn't sound right either...I dunno...you may have hit on something with this post.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

I think you may have hit on something here. Obviously, anything new takes a lot of reps to ingrain...then ...I am just going off watching the Master's a lot ...it does seem like a draw is a very important shot to have from some the Augusta Tee boxes. Ofcourse a draw gone to hook or snap hook is also very penal. Maybe he just needs more rep's to get it more ingrained and this is all BEFORE adding the pressure of a major and then..Augusta.

The longer you play any game or any instrument or do anything a certain way...the harder it can be to ingrain core changes physically not to even mention mentally..just my two cents. The 3 wood draw he hit one of the days off of a par 5 tee box didn't sound right either...I dunno...you may have hit on something with this post.

I always thought that AGNC is a faders course (other than the tee shot on 13 for a righty). Nicklaus faded the ball and won 6 green jackets.

Originally Posted by dak4n6

OK, I will confess I am a Tiger disliker (I feel 'hater' is too strong a word - I wouldn't devote that much energy or care to hating someone who plays a game). I always hear how good Tiger is for the game, but I feel his arrogance, attitude, and behavior are bad for the game. It's becoming another thugged-out sport. Soon we're going to be seeing NFL touchdown dances after birdies.

"Thugged out"? Really? I don't see any entourages(sp) walking the fairways wearing 8 gold chains, with diamond earings, carrying a bag full of cash for the strip club, with a glock under their jacket.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

TO be honest, I don't think Tiger is the "whiny" one in all of this.  The whiny "ones" are the golf fans who get this bothered by someone who wants to WIN and WIN every single time.

The stakes are high in all sports including Golf and I personally admire people who strive to achieve an excellence that wow us as fans.  Tiger knows what he is capable of....14 majors, 70+ wins, etc etc etc...the list is endless for him when it comes to accomplishments.  So we have to see it from his perspective.  When he stands on #16 at Augusa and blocks a 9iron....yes a 9iron to the right like a 9 handicap, you better believe he has EVERY RIGHT to be infurated at such a poor shot.  We aren't talking about your 4 time a week country club guy here.  We are talking about a man who is trying to write history and the clock is ticking.

Heck I get pissed at blocking a 9iron....and I say to myself...seriously Deryck, you hit such a bad short with a 9iron?  I did it this past weekend.  Now think about Tiger and the level of expectation he has for himslef and on top of that, what WE as fans have for him.

So again, for Tiger Woods, hitting that shot was ridiculous for him and his reaction, to me, is understandable.

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

TO be honest, I don't think Tiger is the "whiny" one in all of this.  The whiny "ones" are the golf fans who get this bothered by someone who wants to WIN and WIN every single time.

The stakes are high in all sports including Golf and I personally admire people who strive to achieve an excellence that wow us as fans.  Tiger knows what he is capable of....14 majors, 70+ wins, etc etc etc...the list is endless for him when it comes to accomplishments.  So we have to see it from his perspective.  When he stands on #16 at Augusa and blocks a 9iron....yes a 9iron to the right like a 9 handicap, you better believe he has EVERY RIGHT to be infurated at such a poor shot.  We aren't talking about your 4 time a week country club guy here.  We are talking about a man who is trying to write history and the clock is ticking.

Heck I get pissed at blocking a 9iron....and I say to myself...seriously Deryck, you hit such a bad short with a 9iron?  I did it this past weekend.  Now think about Tiger and the level of expectation he has for himslef and on top of that, what WE as fans have for him.

So again, for Tiger Woods, hitting that shot was ridiculous for him and his reaction, to me, is understandable.

Whiners be whining.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I totally agree with others on this thread who have said this: Henrik Stenson attacking the pine needles on 18 was way worse than *anything* tiger did.  By quite a bit.

Calling Tiger a "thug" shows that (1) you have no idea what a thug is (i was a New Orleans felony public defender for a while - I know what a thug is.  Tiger ain't even on the same globe) and (2) you, in my opinion, have some racist undertones.  There are tons of white pros who do much more "thuggish" stuff than Tiger.  The statement is so absurd I don't even know where to start.

Go read "Your 15th Club" to have an insight into a tour pros arrogance.  According to that book, a huge number of Tour Pros said that if they play their game, everyone else is playing for 2nd.  You don't get there without arrogance.  Honestly, I think Tiger handles it / conceals it better than most.

Tiger is the best golfer of all time.  He married a volitile woman and then cheated on her.  He made mistakes in his family life that were plastered all over the news.  He now gets tons of flak for something other players do routinely.  I was at the Zurich Classic last year and our masters champion, Mr. Watson, threw his visor-thing down after a tee shot and made like he was going to kick it while standing back by his bag.  At this point he was either leading or in 2nd.  Didn't even make the news.  Tiger kicks a club when totally out of contention and people want him banned from Augusta and / or disciplined by the tour? Give me a break.

I actually laughed quite hard at Stenson attacking the pine needles.  The video and the way it cuts off before he actually makes contact is quite entertaining and leaves much to the imagination.  Not only did he try and attack the pine needles, but he feinted on the first blow, and instead re-positioned his feet so that he could attack it with more aggression and presumably create more of a descending blow.  That is hilarious.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I actually laughed quite hard at Stenson attacking the pine needles.  The video and the way it cuts off before he actually makes contact is quite entertaining and leaves much to the imagination.  Not only did he try and attack the pine needles, but he feinted on the first blow, and instead re-positioned his feet so that he could attack it with more aggression and presumably create more of a descending blow.  That is hilarious.

You are sullying the name of a player who saved countless lives by killing those snakes.

I was at the Zurich Classic last year and our masters champion, Mr. Watson, threw his visor-thing down after a tee shot and made like he was going to kick it while standing back by his bag.  At this point he was either leading or in 2nd.  Didn't even make the news.

Speaking of the Zurich, Watson made an ass of himself a few years ago when he got upset with Steve Elkington allegedly moving or walking during several of his shots, and exploded with a profanity-laced tirade at him on the course. According to the third member of their group, it included several F-bombs, and the players didn't shake hands on 18 after the round (but to his credit, he apologized for his actions shortly afterward). I've never seen Tiger curse at another player, or even bad luck. He usually laughs off bad bounces, wind gusts, etc., or at most shakes his head ruefully. The only thing he gets mad at is himself, when he hits a poor shot.

Originally Posted by brocks

Speaking of the Zurich, Watson made an ass of himself a few years ago when he got upset ....

You might be confused by the fact that Bubba always looks like he's smashing his club angrily into the ground, but that's just his swing.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

He married a volitile woman and then cheated on her.

So you're blaming her? And rearranging history to suit your own purposes.

What makes you say she was volatile before she found out that he had slept with a dozen othe women?

You correctly criticise another person's definition of "thug", but then seem to criticise a woman who reacts when discovering that her husband has been cheating all along, as if he married a time bomb or as if he had reason to cheat because she was  "volatile" to start with, as if you'd know.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Speaking of the Zurich, Watson made an ass of himself a few years ago when he got upset with Steve Elkington allegedly moving or walking during several of his shots, and exploded with a profanity-laced tirade at him on the course. According to the third member of their group, it included several F-bombs, and the players didn't shake hands on 18 after the round (but to his credit, he apologized for his actions shortly afterward).

I've never seen Tiger curse at another player, or even bad luck. He usually laughs off bad bounces, wind gusts, etc., or at most shakes his head ruefully. The only thing he gets mad at is himself, when he hits a poor shot.

To add to that, almost every PGA Tour player has always mentioned how much they enjoy playing with Tiger in a tournament.  He talks to his peers on the course and everyone says he's a "good guy."

Tiger's anger is almost always directed at himself and himself only.

All of this discussion regarding Tiger's "tantrums" is ridiculous.  Dozens of other players conduct themselves in classless ways on the golf course during tournaments.  This behaviour is in no way unique to Tiger Woods.  IN fact, I'm sure Jack, Arnold, had their moments as well.  It's too bad we didn't have the hundreds of cameras in a single tournament and social media to plaster it everywhere in their day.

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by MSchott

I always thought that AGNC is a faders course (other than the tee shot on 13 for a righty). Nicklaus faded the ball and won 6 green jackets.

Arnie drew the ball and won four.

#2, #5, #8, #9...as well as 13 are dogleg lefts.

But really, it's a second-shot course & it favors those that can hit it high. Fade or draw, it has to hold those greens. And Jack certainly hit it high.

Regarding Tiger not smiling and interacting with fans like Phil does --- Bubba Watson has been on a media tour since he won, and on the Piers Morgan show, he was asked about how he looked so focused at Augusta. He said he has blown a few leads, and he is learning that the best way to not do that is to try to shut everything out, not acknowledge cheers or applause, just put on a stern face and concentrate on the job.

Yes, everyone is different.  Phil has a good relationship with the crowd and likes to play to them.  Tiger and I guess now Bubba need to shut out the distractions to play their best.  When I played football some guys got all pumped up and got the crowd going while others were super intense and stayed to themselves.  People have to do what makes them play their best and shouldn't be judged based on that.

With all that said, Tiger isn't as outgoing and friendly as Phil off the course so he's really not a people person where as Bubba seems to enjoy being in the public eye off the course except France.  ; )

Regarding Tiger not smiling and interacting with fans like Phil does --- Bubba Watson has been on a media tour since he won, and on the Piers Morgan show, he was asked about how he looked so focused at Augusta. He said he has blown a few leads, and he is learning that the best way to not do that is to try to shut everything out, not acknowledge cheers or applause, just put on a stern face and concentrate on the job.

Joe Paradiso

You could probably say the same about half the field at any given event.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!