IGNORED

Bad Play, Walking Off Mid Round

Peleus
Note: This thread is 4386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I am by myself and decide to do something else with the rest of my day, I might leave after the front nine.  The only time I have ever left early when playing in a goup was when I hurt my wrist after hitting a tree root I didn't see and decided it was in my best interest not to continue.

I have been tempted to leave the course a few times but always remember that a bad day on the course is better then a good day at work.

If I'm playing bad and haven't reached 9 "there is still a chance" and if I make the turn, I'm usually 4 or 5 holes in before I decide the round is crap and by that time, I might as well enjoy the last few holes :)

Theres only been one time when I left a course early and that was because I really, really, REALLY needed to get to a bathroom quickly.  I left on the 17th hole and I never realized just how bumpy the course was until that day :D  Bubble gut will get you every time.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Hey look. I paid my greens fees. If I want to play all 18 or 9 or 12 or freekin one...what's it to you? It's none of your business.

I'm sure you will have an opinion of me if I do leave early, but that's none of my business.

The only exception is if we're playing for something. In that instance, I concede all remaining bets, pay up & go. If it's skins or something, we'll negotiate something I'm sure.

But if I want to leave I'm leaving.

Very poor form.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

But if I want to leave I'm leaving.

Very poor form.

I'm sincerely surprised that a few people here have expressed that opinion. What's it to anyone else if I'm not playing well and feel like doing something different with my day?

If, before leaving, I were to apologize profusely for hurting your poor wittle feewings, would that make you like me more? Because that would be ever so important to me... :-)

• Upvote 1

Bill

The only time i walked off the course, it was a constant drizzle outside, and the driver went flying out of my hands. It was better for my clubs and the safety of others that i just stop playing then. Since i have a membership through the city i live in at there municipal courses, 5 dollars for 18 holes or 9 holes, i will just pay for 18 (same price), and if i don't feel like it just stop at 9 holes. But i never stop in the middle of one of the 9's, unless i hurt myself. I have walked off the course when my back gave out on me..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Since this thread was started as a means to vindicate myself, I am just going to lay it all out on the line and let you judge me.

Just joined a local golf club so whether I play 1 hole, 9 holes, or 360 holes a month, it is all the same cost to me.

I was out for the first time at said course, and had made it through 5 holes.  Bogey, +4, +4, Bogey, +3.  +1 on the two par threes, but couldn't get the ball to the green on a par 4 in less than 5 shots.

Putting was fine, but shanked everything that I addressed with an iron, whether it was a long iron or short iron, in the rough or in the middle of the fairway.

At that point, since I was playing by myself, I packed it up and went to the range to hopefully spend the remaining hour I had free figuring out what was going wrong rather than spend 45 minutes walking and 15 minutes taking shots on the last few holes.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I'm sincerely surprised that a few people here have expressed that opinion. What's it to anyone else if I'm not playing well and feel like doing something different with my day?

If, before leaving, I were to apologize profusely for hurting your poor wittle feewings, would that make you like me more? Because that would be ever so important to me... :-)

Exactly.

See, this is what confounds me about some of you -

- You wouldn't tolerate someone playing slow

- You wouldn't tolerate someone cursing or throwing clubs

- You wouldn't tolerate someone purposely or willfully breaking the rules

...but if someone wants to quit rather than stay with your company thru 18 your panties are in a wad?

Get over yourselves. I'll play as many holes as I damn well please, thank you very much.

Exactly.

See, this is what confounds me about some of you -

- You wouldn't tolerate someone playing slow

- You wouldn't tolerate someone cursing or throwing clubs

- You wouldn't tolerate someone purposely or willfully breaking the rules

...but if someone wants to quit rather than stay with your company thru 18 your panties are in a wad?

Get over yourselves. I'll play as many holes as I damn well please, thank you very much.

I agree.  We're talking about a casual round and no betting, so nobody else in the group has any stake in whether you finish or not.  I've played several rounds with guys who have left after 14 or 15 holes because of other obligations and I've never once based my opinion of them on the fact that they left early (other than to realize they aren't as infatuated with golf as me because I'll finish 18 even if its dark).

I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

I use to leave during rounds sometimes last year.  I had a membership to the course so I wasn't losing out on anything by leaving.

The reasons I have left include:

1. Playing horribly, so horribly I could not even get the ball off the ground and I was just not having fun at all.  I don't see the point of staying on the course if I am not enjoying myself.

2. Slow play in front of me, if its going to take me 6 hours to play a round I am not staying.

3. Really hot out, a few times last year it was so hot out during my round that after 9 I was just drained and did not feel like playing anymore.

I don't see why anyone should be bothered that I left early.  If I made plans to play with someone and they wanted to keep going that is a different story though, I would feel obligated to finish the round off if that were the case.

I played in a members guest tournament yesterday... On the 2nd hole - a Par 5, I carded a 9.  I wanted to quit.  But I continued and managed to shoot an 85.  One of my worst rounds in several months... But I'm glad I didn't quit.  Because I ended up hitting some great golf shots later in the day - and got my confidence back.  Plus, I started drinking (which I rarely do on the golf course) and forgot about that 9 on the 2nd! :D

Again. I paid my greens fees. I can stay or leave. It's none of your business.

And you can continue not to give a shit about what peple think of you. That's fine. It's completely up to you.

And if that is you with Nicklaus, shame on you.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

And you can continue not to give a shit about what peple think of you. That's fine. It's completely up to you.

And if that is you with Nicklaus, shame on you.

You are incorrect. I said what people think of me is none of my business. Here's how this works - you will either like me or you won't. It's not that I don't care, it's that I cannot control it therefore I don't worry about it.

And yes, that is me with Jack. So...shame on me?!? Why - cuz I have the audacity to believe I don't have to finish a round I paid for?

Make some sense please. And get off your moral throne - "Shame on you" - what, are we in kindergarten now?

ive walked off several times due to playing like crap, mostly when learning the game and not understanding why im playing bad shots,...

now ive learnt the game, learnt why i hit bad shots, if i can a round i either practice as i go whilst not getting in others way should i have playing partners,....or ill pack all my gear into my bag, roll a cigeratte and follow the group im with round, chat with them, rake bunkers, do the flag etc to make their round a bit easier

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I can't think of a time i've walked off in frustration. Anytime I approach a high level of frustration I'll stop keeping score and use it as a practice round. Try different shots etc. If I am with a group and playing the worst ever I'll pick up the ball to keep the pace up for the group.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

One time, I was shooting some hoops in my driveway. I got tired after just 12 minutes and I went in to take a nap instead of finishing the full regulation period. I would like to take this time to apologize to anyone whom I offended through my thoughtlessness.

• Upvote 2

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!