IGNORED

2012 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide Insurance Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Because it's not a "hole-out," and "pitch-in" and "flop-in" aren't widely used.

I heartily vote that we start using the term "flop-in". :-D

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by brocks

I've never heard Tiger make any disparaging remarks about the things his previous coaches taught him. A lot of people were saying he was taking shots at Haney a month or two ago when he had a bad round and said he sometimes reverted to his "Haney backswing," but he wasn't. He was blaming himself for not doing what Foley was telling him, and saying that it didn't work to combine the Haney backswing with the Foley downswing.

Changing subjects, yesterday's win (and Rory's MC) reshuffled the Vegas odds for the US Open. Last week, Rory was the favorite at 8-1, with Tiger second at 12-1.

Today, Tiger is the favorite at 6-1, with Rory and Luke at 15-1 in Vegas. Ladbrokes has Tiger at 6-1, Rory at 12-1, and Luke and Lee at 14-1.

I think Donald has surpassed all golfers this year in the "consistency" category, so it's at least a little funny that he's behind Rory in the odds, as poorly as Rory is playing right now.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

And the guy in the bright orange jump suite shot an 82. I think he got the ole Tiger intimidation factor going.

And I'm glad Rory Sabatiini lost, he is no good for golf. He's a cry baby. Anyone notice his antics on 17, when he didn't hole out the bunker shot, and knew it was over.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I was surprised Rickie wilted in the lime light with Tiger. I've heard a number of golfers say it's tough being paired with Tiger on the final day, so I guess we can add Fowler to that list.

Originally Posted by Motley01

And the guy in the bright orange jump suite shot an 82. I think he got the ole Tiger intimidation factor going.

And I'm glad Rory Sabatiini lost, he is no good for golf. He's a cry baby. Anyone notice his antics on 17, when he didn't hole out the bunker shot, and knew it was over.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It was surprising to see Sabbatini duff that 5wood shot on the front 9.  Sometimes it does look like he's swinging out of his shoes and leaning back too much, but I figured that was just a rear camera angle thing.  Those two 5 wood shots likely cost him the tournament.

Brandon

Eighty-FOUR. A freekin' 84. Incredible.

• Administrator

84, IIRC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Fowler actually shot 84, but I think it was just a bad day, not intimidation. He plays practice rounds with Tiger at their home course, so he's pretty comfortable with him. [quote] And I'm glad Rory Sabatiini lost, he is no good for golf. He's a cry baby. Anyone notice his antics on 17, when he didn't hole out the bunker shot, and knew it was over. [/quote] I haven't cared much for Sabbatini since he publicly humiliated Ben Crane several years ago, but I would rather have seen him win than Levin. It just seemed like he deserved it more --- for most of the round, he was hitting the best shots, and he had several putts miss by a hair, while Levin had at least a couple go in that even he thought he had missed.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I was surprised Rickie wilted in the lime light with Tiger. I've heard a number of golfers say it's tough being paired with Tiger on the final day, so I guess we can add Fowler to that list.

It is kind of funny how they say we now have  generation that is not intimidated by Tiger.  What we really have is a generation who has never faced the full force of Tiger at his best.  If he gets back to that point, and I think he will, this new generation won't be able to do anything more about it than the last generation did.  Look at the scoring averages.  They aren't any better than the earlier guys, Tiger is just not shooting as low himself.  If he does he will dominate them just as he dominated before.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

You don't want to bet on a consistant golfer. You want to bet on the guy that can win. Rory on his A game would beat Luke on his A game. Of course we have been seeing Rory's C game a heck of a lot more often than Luke's over the past month. Rory was crazy hot to start the season (top 5 everywhere except the masters) but missing 3 cuts in a row has to be a bit worrisome. Things can turn pretty quick though.

Quote:

I think Donald has surpassed all golfers this year in the "consistency" category, so it's at least a little funny that he's behind Rory in the odds, as poorly as Rory is playing right now.

Brandon

Originally Posted by brocks

I've never heard Tiger make any disparaging remarks about the things his previous coaches taught him. A lot of people were saying he was taking shots at Haney a month or two ago when he had a bad round and said he sometimes reverted to his "Haney backswing," but he wasn't. He was blaming himself for not doing what Foley was telling him, and saying that it didn't work to combine the Haney backswing with the Foley downswing.

Changing subjects, yesterday's win (and Rory's MC) reshuffled the Vegas odds for the US Open. Last week, Rory was the favorite at 8-1, with Tiger second at 12-1.

Today, Tiger is the favorite at 6-1, with Rory and Luke at 15-1 in Vegas. Ladbrokes has Tiger at 6-1, Rory at 12-1, and Luke and Lee at 14-1.

I'll never understand odds when it comes to sports, lol. No idea how they are calculated. Glad I dont live in Vegas.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

How could it not be?

"Hole-out" as a term is usually used to describe a longer shot, no? A 9 iron from 150 is a hole out, but a flop shot from 5 feet off the green? I suppose you could use it, it just seems like there should be a better term.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's not just being intimidated by Tiger, it's playing the entire round with the largest gallery on the course.  I definitely think some of these guys put additional pressure on themselves wanting to be the "Tiger Slayer", but most of these guys have also never played with all the distractions that such a large gallery creates.  84 isn't just a bad round, it's a complete collapse.

Originally Posted by turtleback

It is kind of funny how they say we now have  generation that is not intimidated by Tiger.  What we really have is a generation who has never faced the full force of Tiger at his best.  If he gets back to that point, and I think he will, this new generation won't be able to do anything more about it than the last generation did.  Look at the scoring averages.  They aren't any better than the earlier guys, Tiger is just not shooting as low himself.  If he does he will dominate them just as he dominated before.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It's not just being intimidated by Tiger, it's playing the entire round with the largest gallery on the course.  I definitely think some of these guys put additional pressure on themselves wanting to be the "Tiger Slayer", but most of these guys have also never played with all the distractions that such a large gallery creates.  84 isn't just a bad round, it's a complete collapse.

Which goes to a point I was making to the TV a few weeks ago: Fowler, and the rest of these guys are NOT super stars like some golf analysts pretend they are.  I've heard on more than one occasion that Fowler, Watson and McIlroy have "star power."  The suggestion being that it's somewhere near what Tiger's was/is.  In reality it's nowhere close.  Those guys may have a lot of fans relative to most golfers, but there is no comparison to what a gallery is like on a Sunday when they're in the final group(s) and when Tiger is in the final group(s).

Brandon

Yep if Fowler, Watson, Mahan, McIlroy, and others, were around about 2001, they would be winless all of them. They are good players no doubt, but no where near the level Tiger IS, WAS, and Has been.

Same with Phil. These young kids just don't have any idea what Tiger and Phil have accomplished.

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!