IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tomorrow is gonna be fun to watch , NO clue who is the favorite after today!

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

This is why I like G-Mac! He's out there having a good time. How? I don't know, but he's doin' it!

Yeah if Tiger is not in contention tomorrow I want him to win it!

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

So is Hossler going to forfeit any winnings?  Kids got crazy game. It's funny to see a goofy looking kid with braces out there giving the pros a run for their money at a major.

He's an amateur. He's not eligible to win any money. He's already committed to Texas after finishing high school, so he would have totally re-do his plans.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

He's an amateur. He's not eligible to win any money. He's already committed to Texas after finishing high school, so he would have totally re-do his plans.

Can anyone explain the point of not letting these kids play college golf if they go pro early? I don't get why he should have to forfeit his winnings, it seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Can anyone explain the point of not letting these kids play college golf if they go pro early? I don't get why he should have to forfeit his winnings, it seems pretty ridiculous to me.

He is not forfeiting winnings.

He is an amateur.

You may as well ask why the pros can't win the  low amateur trophy.

There'll be plenty of money for him when he does turn pro.

If he plays well over the next couple of years he'll sign endorsements worth several million before he hits a single shot, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Those are the rules. And have been for like 100 years.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Pretty much what Shorty said about pro's being low Am and it's no different than any other college sport in the fact you can't be a professional.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

It would be like a kid playing on a college basketball team and playing for the Lakers at the same time. It's not allowed under NCAA rules.

When Scott Verplank won the (I believe it was) 1985 Western Open as an amateur, he received no money. Jim Thorpe was low pro & got the first-place check.

As Shorty said, he isn't forfeiting. He went in knowing he wouldn't get any money. No one is making him play college golf, but you do have to be an amateur to do so. If you want to discuss the merits of amateurism in golf, this probably isn't the thread.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I'm really not a fan of the USGA softening the conditions in order to bring more players up the leaderboard.  The greens are holding from the rough today...

I think this seriously screwed up Tiger today. He kept coming up short early on. His three-putt on the par three (IIRC) was lame. His bogey on 16 was lame. His bogey on 18 was lame. He could have played just as lousy and shot 72 and be at +1. Instead, he has at best a 5% chance to win. He's not winning. He's nine groups from the end. He'll be on the 9th tee when the leaders tee off. [quote name="Zeph" url="/t/58696/2012-us-open-at-olympic-club-discussion-thread/522#post_726319"]And of course, every putt on the course is pulled towards Lake Merced.[/quote] The Lake Merced thing is getting annoying. [quote name="xxsoultonesxx" url="/t/58696/2012-us-open-at-olympic-club-discussion-thread/522#post_726320"]Did you watch the slo-mo footage? It definitely looked like he did. At impact the clubface opened way up. Miller also is talking about "skanky" shots again. WTF is a skanky shot anyway? [/quote] Guys, c'mon. He hit the ball on the toe. That's why the club opened up. Johnny was a moron saying that he "added fade" during impact. He toed it. Plain and simple. [quote name="Montezumasdaddy" url="/t/58696/2012-us-open-at-olympic-club-discussion-thread/540#post_726357"]Doesn't he have the option to collect his winnings and give up his amatuer status? [/quote] Nope. You've gotta declare that prior. You can't say "if I have a good week I'll take the money otherwise I'll stay amateur." BTW, remember this for tomorrow: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2012_us_open_final_round_chat][SIZE=5]http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2012_us_open_final_round_chat[/SIZE][/URL]

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Montezumasdaddy

Doesn't he have the option to collect his winnings and give up his amatuer status?

Yeah that's what I thought too, I guess not though.

And I will be in the chat tomorrow! Those are always fun.

Anyone mention Costas' fukk up....unless I am wrong, he gave away Furyk's birdie putt at 11...the coveage was a bit delayed and he did a live cut in and said Furyk at -1...and then immediatly tried to correct himself.....20 seconds later, Furyk makes a birdie putt to get to -1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

i don't particularly expect it to happen, but i'd love to see els win it.  he's right there in contention and has shot a better score with each round, but will probably fall apart tomorrow.

Note: This thread is 4364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!