IGNORED

65/20/15 Practice Ratios: Where to Devote Your Practice Time

iacas

So Rick, you're gonna be "The Old Guy" - "I don't hit 'em long, but I hit 'em straight."

I can't  hit long and I try to make it up with excellent short game.   I am gonna be one of those annoying old golfers who seem to always get up and down.   I will continue to practice & fine tune my short game.

We have these older ladies in my club who kick my ass every week. They hit their 160 yd tee shot in the fairway. Their 120 yd 3W in the fairway. Chip on close to the flag and one or two putting.

Meanwhile I was hitting my 230 yd driver into the woods, hitting a knock down out onto the fairway, hitting my third shot to a nGIR or duffing it trying to make up the distance and adding another shot, pitching on and two putting.

No more. I've had enough. I can keep my 3W withing the playable margins of the course, and hit it 203 - 222. If it starts misbehaving I can take out my 5 iron and hit that 180 - straight. This leaves an 8 iron for a GIR or nGIR from where I can chip and get up and down. I am confident with my lob wedge. I will continue to work on my short game because I can waste as many strokes around the green as I do coming up the fairway. My job coming up the fairway is to keep the ball in play. If I do that and have a good short game I can shoot in the 80s.

So 65, 25, 15 for me.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Came across this "fun" piece of stats... Apparently if you can combine GIR and Putting you WIN! :-P

In the bag:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex 440 8.5° (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ LE) S-flex

Woods: Nike Vapor Fly 15° (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ LE) S-flex : Vapor Fly 19° (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ LE) S-flex

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 4-PW S-Flex

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52° : Jaws X 56°

Putter: Odyssey White Ice 3

Ball: Nike RZN Black

Came across this "fun" piece of stats... Apparently if you can combine GIR and Putting you WIN!

If his proximity was 55th then his strokes gained for his irons was probably not that high. I would say it was mostly due to his putting. 2.193 was stupid good.

Yea, his approach shots was upper middle of the pack. His driving was very solid. His putting was out of this world on days 3 and 4.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Allocating your practice time really depends on what level a golfer you are. This strategy if for extremely rapid development and works.

Generally speaking I would suggest golfers that shoot between 100-90 should spend 90% of their time on the full swing and 10% on chipping and pitching. Practicing putting at this level is not necessary. Putting is such a basic move that can be corrected with limited practice and with the proper help. (from a coach or simple training aid) Developing a golf swing takes ALOT of time, patience and needs a lot of attention and dedication to get to the level of scratch.

I strongly believe the reason why golfers are stuck shooting the same scores is because they are lacking in distance off the tee.

There comes a time in every good golfers journey when they will develop a reputation as a ball beater. Sitting on the driving ranch all day will defiantly bring with it some haters that will most likely comment and wonder why you are "grinding" so much. This is something you you will have to overcome until you develop a solid swing.

As a golfer you will and should never be satisfied with your driving distance. However, if you are hitting the ball less than 255 controlled off the tee you will have a tremendously hard time scoring. This should be the main focus of your attention. 255 is the minimum.

There is nothing wrong with hitting a lot of pitching wedges to develop your swing. I don't mean go out a swing your driver 24/7.

A touring professional has already done his "grooving." He will benefit more by spending his time converting putts and dialing in his wedges.

Allocating your practice time really depends on what level a golfer you are. This strategy if for extremely rapid development and works. Generally speaking I would suggest golfers that shoot between 100-90 should spend 90% of their time on the full swing and 10% on chipping and pitching. Practicing putting at this level is not necessary. Putting is such a basic move that can be corrected with limited practice and with the proper help. (from a coach or simple training aid) Developing a golf swing takes ALOT of time, patience and needs a lot of attention and dedication to get to the level of scratch.  I strongly believe the reason why golfers are stuck shooting the same scores is because they are lacking in distance off the tee.  There comes a time in every good golfers journey when they will develop a reputation as a ball beater. Sitting on the driving ranch all day will defiantly bring with it some haters that will most likely comment and wonder why you are "grinding" so much. This is something you you will have to overcome until you develop a solid swing. As a golfer you will and should never be satisfied with your driving distance. However, if you are hitting the ball less than 255 controlled off the tee you will have a tremendously hard time scoring. This should be the main focus of your attention. 255 is the minimum. There is nothing wrong with hitting a lot of pitching wedges to develop your swing. I don't mean go out a swing your driver 24/7. A touring professional has already done his "grooving." He will benefit more by spending his time converting putts and dialing in his wedges.

I agree with your thoughts. It seems there may be many of us who are either shorter hitters or older and don't have length in our games. I can hit 4 of my clubs over 200 yards but none of them over 250 with any regularity. I need to find 20 yards consistently which won't make me the longest hitter in the world but it would bring significantly more par 4's into range. I'm averaging 68% fairways however very little of that is with my driver. It's laying back with 3 wood or irons and hybrids. GIR percentage is 28%. Not all of that is poor iron play. It's having 2nd shot distances over 180 yards or so. Experimented on one of the par 4's at my course which is uphill. Hit 3 wood and then took a driver. 3 wood 200 roughly. Driver hit a 226 yard fade. Had 199 left after first shot and 173 left after driver both from the short grass. Missed green longer distance leaving a short sided SW and 2 putted for 5. After the driver I actually caught the iron heavy but landed on 10- 15 yards short. Chipped up and nailed the putt for par. Both were untidly played apart from the tee shot but proximity to the hole was very different and made the short game easier to execute because I was in a stronger position after my 2nd shot. Right now my ball has much more control and I'm really trusting that my work in the net combined with elastic band work will train my body to gain some swing speed. Only a few miles an hour more could make all the difference.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

• Administrator
A touring professional has already done his "grooving." He will benefit more by spending his time converting putts and dialing in his wedges.

That doesn't turn out to be the case. Pros still need to practice their driver. They still need to maintain their full swing, improve their full swing, and the full swing is still what contributes most to their play (success or failure).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with your thoughts. It seems there may be many of us who are either shorter hitters or older and don't have length in our games. I can hit 4 of my clubs over 200 yards but none of them over 250 with any regularity. I need to find 20 yards consistently which won't make me the longest hitter in the world but it would bring significantly more par 4's into range.

I'm averaging 68% fairways however very little of that is with my driver. It's laying back with 3 wood or irons and hybrids. GIR percentage is 28%. Not all of that is poor iron play. It's having 2nd shot distances over 180 yards or so.

Experimented on one of the par 4's at my course which is uphill. Hit 3 wood and then took a driver. 3 wood 200 roughly. Driver hit a 226 yard fade. Had 199 left after first shot and 173 left after driver both from the short grass. Missed green longer distance leaving a short sided SW and 2 putted for 5.

After the driver I actually caught the iron heavy but landed on 10- 15 yards short. Chipped up and nailed the putt for par.

Both were untidly played apart from the tee shot but proximity to the hole was very different and made the short game easier to execute because I was in a stronger position after my 2nd shot.

Right now my ball has much more control and I'm really trusting that my work in the net combined with elastic band work will train my body to gain some swing speed. Only a few miles an hour more could make all the difference.

Your distances are very similar to mine. I'm 55 and began playing late in my life. I don't expect to develop an over 250 average in this lifetime, but that doesn't mean I can't improve the accuracy of my driver and woods - which is why I agree with the philosophy of devoting far more time to the full swing.

As far as not reaching par 4 greens in two, that's easy, I just play from shorter tees boxes. 6,000 yards or less is about right for my enjoyment.

FWIW, of the few recreational golfers I play with each month, few of them hit any farther than you and I do (then again, I don't play with many of the younger players). I think this forum just attracts better players.

Jon

Your distances are very similar to mine. I'm 55 and began playing late in my life. I don't expect to develop an over 250 average in this lifetime, but that doesn't mean I can't improve the accuracy of my driver and woods - which is why I agree with the philosophy of devoting far more time to the full swing. As far as not reaching par 4 greens in two, that's easy, I just play from shorter tees boxes. 6,000 yards or less is about right for my enjoyment. FWIW, of the few recreational golfers I play with each month, few of them hit any farther than you and I do (then again, I don't play with many of the younger players). I think this forum just attracts better players.

I live in the UK and we have only 3 sets of Tees white competition,yellow for men and red for juniors and women. You soon get told off at many clubs if you play red. Most courses puts 6000 to 6500 at most of yellow tees. It's the odd par 4 where it can play a little long. 420 seems to the absolute limit for me to try for gir realistically. I've hit greens from 200 out with my hybrid on quite a regular basis. I prefer though to get within 180 then I can get a mid iron in my hand. Lots of par 4's play 350 to 400 yards so that's in my wheelhouse if I hit solid shots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfinred

That doesn't turn out to be the case. Pros still need to practice their driver. They still need to maintain their full swing, improve their full swing, and the full swing is still what contributes most to their play (success or failure).

This speaks volumes to me. Knowing that good players who have grooved their swings (often for many years) still are susceptible to bad habits creeping in, makes it easier for me as a less skilled player to accept the bad rounds or practice sessions. Those rounds no longer bring a fear of having a completely poor swing. Instead, they tell me that I am slipping back into a bad habit that can be - and usually will be - corrected by proper practice.

The "My Swing" thread has many posts from single-digit players who find their HI creeping up. While there is sometimes a sense of real frustration in their posts, they simple go to work identifying and correcting the cause.

Does this mean they discourage playing from the forward tees?

Jon

This speaks volumes to me. Knowing that good players who have grooved their swings (often for many years) still are susceptible to bad habits creeping in, makes it easier for me as a less skilled player to accept the bad rounds or practice sessions.

The reason their swings are so "grooved" is because they continue to spend most of their practice time on full swing mechanics ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonMA1

This speaks volumes to me. Knowing that good players who have grooved their swings (often for many years) still are susceptible to bad habits creeping in, makes it easier for me as a less skilled player to accept the bad rounds or practice sessions.

The reason their swings are so "grooved" is because they continue to spend most of their practice time on full swing mechanics

Hopefully, I'll soon be able to relate to that, Mike. I've certainly put in the time and I may have finally turned the corner with my full swing irons. (Of course, that last statement may be better suited for the Are You Conning Yourself thread.)

I think I get your point. If we make progress, we can't become complacent? Repetition will help the positive things we're doing become engrained?

Jon

I think I get your point. If we make progress, we can't become complacent? Repetition will help the positive things we're doing become engrained?

Right. Full swing mechanics require maintenance, even if you "got it", you've got to work hard to keep it.

Mike McLoughlin

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Does this mean they discourage playing from the forward tees?

Yes most clubs will tell you at the starters hut or pro shop to play from yellow. Courses in my area are very much parkland style tighter fairways so its a good challenge of weighing up risk and reward but not long enough to be frustrating. Went to Celtic Manor a while ago which has 4 sets of Tees blue for the Ryder Cup over 7000 yards and the fairways were so wide it was like hitting it into a field. That was great but it waterlogged and over 6500 yards and the wind in Wales is harsh to say the least in February. It was beyond my ability

I have to admit, I really don't practice (unless I'm struggling on the course and have to work something out), just prefer to play a heckuva lot of golf.    In the winter, I practice chipping & putting ALOT.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• 2 weeks later...

To cut a long story short: I read the first three pages and the last page. I would like to dedicate 2-3 days/week practicing on the range to get ready for 2016 and decided to try your approach for the first three months.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.golf.com/instruction/mark-broadie-smash-hit#comments

Mark Broadie did some calculations and found that the top 5 money earnings per event gained strokes on the tour:

Driving: 36% of the time

Approach Shots: 35% of the time

Short Game: 13% of the time

Putting: 16% of the time

For the top 5 money earners

Long game = 71%

Short game = 13%

Putting = 16%

Those percentages sure do look similar to the title of the thread :-D

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have been working on ONLY my full swing and have seen my scores go way down. I used to spend a lot of time on the short game and putting but never seemed to post better scores. Once I worked soley on my full swing I posted my two best scores ever. I hit more fairways and greens and didn't have to rely on a miracle chip or putt. Now I just need to get my driver in play more! It's nice to know that I should be working on that and not just because it's fun to hit.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

http://www.golf.com/instruction/mark-broadie-smash-hit#comments

Mark Broadie did some calculations and found that the top 5 money earnings per event gained strokes on the tour:

Driving: 36% of the time

Approach Shots: 35% of the time

Short Game: 13% of the time

Putting: 16% of the time

For the top 5 money earners

Long game = 71%

Short game = 13%

Putting = 16%

Those percentages sure do look similar to the title of the thread

Good find!

Mike McLoughlin